Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Vendors

Old 02-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Vendor

New Bixxis Epopea frameset

New Bixxis Epopea frameset

Doriano De Rosa has created a classic. The new Bixxis Epopea(Italian for Epic) uses Columbus SLX tubing, custom lugs and is handmade by Doriano in Italy.

For those unfamiliar with Doriano and Bixxis, Doriano De Rosa is the son of Ugo De Rosa, founder of the De Rosa Bicycles. Ugo made many a frame for professional riders including numerous frames for Eddy Merckx. From 1969 till the end of Merckx career, Ugo De Rosa made frames for him. Including ones labeled as Colnago's and under the Eddy Merckx name. In fact, when Eddy Merckx started his bicycle company in 1980, Ugo De Rosa trained those first frame builders.

Doriano got his start at 14 years old training and making frames for local racers. At 16, he made the frame used by Eddy Merckx to win Milan-San Remo in 1976. His tenure at De Rosa continued where he made numerous race winning frames. In 2015 Doriano and his daughter Martina started Bixxis with the goal of getting back to real frame building. Building frames in-house, by hand in the classic styles he was trained.

The Epopea is the latest frame from Bixxis. Joining the Prima Integrato, Prima Esposto and Pathos titanium frame, the Epopea harkens back to the classic racing frame. The first Epopea frames will be unveiled at NAHBS in March with Doriano and Martina in attendance. Available in a traditional(horizontal) toptube, custom geometry is stock as well as custom finishes. The Epopea is a riders dream bike.

Current lead time for an Epopea frame is 14 weeks. Retail price is $3000 for frame, matching threaded Columbus fork and Chris King headset. Custom geometry and finish are included. If you have any questions regarding the Epopea or Bixxis in general, please let me know. Hopefully we will see you in Dallas at NAHBS!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:05 PM

Beautiful!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:38 PM

There must be reasons beyond nostalgia for a 1in steel fork and slender tubing. It would be great to have Doriano tell what those old tech frames give us that contemporary design don´t.
Btw... it doesn´t get any sweeter than that.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:35 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
There must be reasons beyond nostalgia for a 1in steel fork and slender tubing. It would be great to have Doriano tell what those old tech frames give us that contemporary design don´t.
Btw... it doesn´t get any sweeter than that.
A lot of it is the ride. The oversized tubing on many newer/current frames give a harsher ride for some people. Especially riders who are lighter in weight. Tons of power transfer/stiffness but harsher. Too many chip and seal roads out there. So besides Doriano wanting to get back to basics, it's about the overall experience for the rider.

Personally I love that it's got a 1" threaded fork. I can't wait for mine to be done. It can be supplied with a threadless 1" fork steerer. But I'm betting the majority will be the 1" threaded steerers.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I'm betting the majority will be the 1" threaded steerers.
Somebody needs to start making decent looking quill stems for 31.8 handlebars with all these threaded steerer tube bikes coming back into vogue.

Or you just need to budget for a custom quill stem when you order the frame. I have two - one from Winter Cycles and one from Ti Cycle Fabrication...
Old 02-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Love reading about these fantastic BIXXIS bicycles. Very attractive and intriguing.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Somebody needs to start making decent looking quill stems for 31.8 handlebars with all these threaded steerer tube bikes coming back into vogue.

Or you just need to budget for a custom quill stem when you order the frame. I have two - one from Winter Cycles and one from Ti Cycle Fabrication...
There are a couple I've found. One is attached. I think it's OK. But they thinned out the extension too much. So the clamp looks massive. But I agree, there is a market for a really nice 31.8mm quill style stem. And of course a silver handlebar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.07.47 PM.jpg (35.6 KB, 502 views)
Old 02-08-2020, 10:27 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Love reading about these fantastic BIXXIS bicycles. Very attractive and intriguing.
Thank you. They are stunning frames.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:49 PM

Looking forward to seeing this in person. Yee haw!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:33 AM

I've got the second Bixxis brought into the US. The whole process was terrific. Back when Doriano built mine, there was just the Prima. What's the difference between Espoto and Integrato?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:15 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I've got the second Bixxis brought into the US. The whole process was terrific. Back when Doriano built mine, there was just the Prima. What's the difference between Espoto and Integrato?
The Prima is available in the integrated(integrated) and external(Esterno or Esposto(Exposed)) headset style. Both being named Prima though, I've had questions as to why and what's the difference. So I am trying to help people understand the difference. Which one do you have?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post

My guess would be External/Chris King headset versus integrated Headsets

*** Oops: Sorry posted same time as Velocipede***
Old 02-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Looking forward to seeing this in person. Yee haw!
Me too! I've only seen pictures so far. I know someone who saw one in person while Doriano was making it last month. I've heard the workmanship is beautiful.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
My guess would be External versus integrated Headsets
Correct. Both being named Prima, I've had a few people get confused as what the difference is. Same with he question of what a D11 King Headset is. Trying to make things easier. No worries on your answer.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
The Prima is available in the integrated(integrated) and external(Esterno or Esposto(Exposed)) headset style. Both being named Prima though, I've had questions as to why and what's the difference. So I am trying to help people understand the difference. Which one do you have?
I've got the integrated, but I replaced the Tectro headset with a Campagnolo Record headset. I think these Columbus SLX will be a nice choice for people who like to knock out century rides and other long steady rides with a vintage panache. The denser tubes will give a really smooth ride. They look really nice too. I love the Prima, I'd only trade it for a ti Pathos (they weren't around when I got my Prima).