Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM
martl's Avatar
martl martl is offline
Strong Walker
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,001
reasons aside, what a pity Sep couldn't exploit his potential. I like his style, and he's been due to win a big one for a while.
__________________
Jeremy Clarksons bike-riding cousin
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Black Dog's Avatar
Black Dog Black Dog is offline
Riding Along
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rockwood ON, Canada
Posts: 4,574
Sounds like the RD was damaged and there is no way to say that a mechanical RD would have faired any better. For perspective: I am a mechanical user all the way. No axe to grind against e shifting.
__________________
Cheers...Daryl
Life is too important to be taken seriously
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 PM
dddd dddd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 792
This race has utmost value toward the evolutionary improvement of a bike's comfort and reliability, that's for sure.

Put more of these kind of races on the calendar and production bikes can only benefit from it.

Maybe pay the riders extra.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-16-2019, 02:12 PM
BdaGhisallo's Avatar
BdaGhisallo BdaGhisallo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Probably right. I know they have wheels at the side of the road. I wonder if they'll consider (if it is allowed) whole bikes at the side of the road.

Y
I believe riders are only allowed to take spare bikes that come from one of the support cars. Bikes taken from someone at the side of the road are not permitted, afaik.
__________________
"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 PM
BdaGhisallo's Avatar
BdaGhisallo BdaGhisallo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
more pertinently, Cancellara used mechanical for Flanders and Roubaix
Cancellara used mechanical for everything on the road. He did use DI2 on his TT bikes from time to time, but never on the road bike.
__________________
"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 PM
RonW87 RonW87 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
I believe riders are only allowed to take spare bikes that come from one of the support cars. Bikes taken from someone at the side of the road are not permitted, afaik.

Umm, nope:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features/tdu02c40.shtml

"Anyone got a spare C40? Spectator saves Rogers' day
By Gerard Knapp In Adelaide

Adam Pyke came to the Jacob's Creek Tour Down Under to watch the cycling, but ended up saving the day for the new leader of the race on general classification.

Pyke, 29, was standing on the side of the road just half a kilometre into the climb up Mengler's Hill, when only 10 metres away, Michael Rogers came to a screeching halt after a tangle with a motorcycle had ripped his rear derailleur off the back of his bike and pushed it into his rear wheel. Cursing loudly, Rogers dismounted and looked down at his bike to assess the damage and realised he wasn't going any further on that machine, so he threw the blue, Mapei team-issue Colnago C40 onto the ground in disgust.

"So Michael's taken one look at my bike and he's taken off," Pyke said. In an uncanny coincidence, Pyke is the proud owner of a 56cm centre-to-top Colnago C40, which uses the latest Shimano SPD-R pedals. Oddly enough, it was the same size as Rogers' bike - "or close enough" - and also uses the same type of pedals (see picture)."
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 PM
echappist echappist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
Umm, nope:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features/tdu02c40.shtml

"Anyone got a spare C40? Spectator saves Rogers' day
By Gerard Knapp In Adelaide

Adam Pyke came to the Jacob's Creek Tour Down Under to watch the cycling, but ended up saving the day for the new leader of the race on general classification.

Pyke, 29, was standing on the side of the road just half a kilometre into the climb up Mengler's Hill, when only 10 metres away, Michael Rogers came to a screeching halt after a tangle with a motorcycle had ripped his rear derailleur off the back of his bike and pushed it into his rear wheel. Cursing loudly, Rogers dismounted and looked down at his bike to assess the damage and realised he wasn't going any further on that machine, so he threw the blue, Mapei team-issue Colnago C40 onto the ground in disgust.

"So Michael's taken one look at my bike and he's taken off," Pyke said. In an uncanny coincidence, Pyke is the proud owner of a 56cm centre-to-top Colnago C40, which uses the latest Shimano SPD-R pedals. Oddly enough, it was the same size as Rogers' bike - "or close enough" - and also uses the same type of pedals (see picture)."
you are partially correct; racers cannot take bikes/wheels from spectators, but this rule is not always enforced, as it would generate really bad publicity

top of my head, I recall another rider taking a bike at a more recent edition of Tour down Under; also, someone took a wheel at Tour of California a while back (think it was Julich)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-16-2019, 05:09 PM
ultraman6970 ultraman6970 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 20,354
What about that german one hour record holder that ended a stage at the tour in a bike that belong to a junior rider?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-16-2019, 05:44 PM
BdaGhisallo's Avatar
BdaGhisallo BdaGhisallo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
Umm, nope:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features/tdu02c40.shtml

"Anyone got a spare C40? Spectator saves Rogers' day
By Gerard Knapp In Adelaide

Adam Pyke came to the Jacob's Creek Tour Down Under to watch the cycling, but ended up saving the day for the new leader of the race on general classification.

Pyke, 29, was standing on the side of the road just half a kilometre into the climb up Mengler's Hill, when only 10 metres away, Michael Rogers came to a screeching halt after a tangle with a motorcycle had ripped his rear derailleur off the back of his bike and pushed it into his rear wheel. Cursing loudly, Rogers dismounted and looked down at his bike to assess the damage and realised he wasn't going any further on that machine, so he threw the blue, Mapei team-issue Colnago C40 onto the ground in disgust.

"So Michael's taken one look at my bike and he's taken off," Pyke said. In an uncanny coincidence, Pyke is the proud owner of a 56cm centre-to-top Colnago C40, which uses the latest Shimano SPD-R pedals. Oddly enough, it was the same size as Rogers' bike - "or close enough" - and also uses the same type of pedals (see picture)."
Freddy Maertens was famously disqualified from the 1977 Tour of Flanders for taking a bike after the Koppenberg from the side of the road and not from a team car as his fellow breakaway riders did. He was notified of his dq while the race was unfolding and refused to stop. He towed Roger de Vlaeminck to the line, with RDV not taking a single pull in the final 70 km, before sprinting around Maertens to cross the line first.

The Tour Down Under was almost an exibition race at the time when the Rogers switch happened and the Commissars turned a blind eye to help the show and the sport in Australia, imo.
__________________
"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

Last edited by BdaGhisallo; 04-16-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM
Spaghetti Legs Spaghetti Legs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: C-Ville, VA
Posts: 767
I watched the P-R replay yesterday and there was a point where he was alongside the Mavic car, I guess asking for a bike. He didn’t get one I guess they either didn’t have his size or his pedals. He changed bikes from team car with something like 7-8 km left when it was clear Gilbert or Politt would win the race.

Tough day for the EF support crew; hung two of their riders out to dry.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 AM
soulspinner soulspinner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: rochester, ny
Posts: 8,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
racing over cobble stones destroys things and always has.
+1
__________________
chasing waddy
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 AM
madsciencenow's Avatar
madsciencenow madsciencenow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: N. Chicago area.
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Cancellara used mechanical for everything on the road. He did use DI2 on his TT bikes from time to time, but never on the road bike.


Do we have any idea why he did this? What I’m getting at is, was it strategic or was it preference?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.