Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 01:39 PM

30% DNF rate for the 200 this year - almost 400 riders

(~25% for the XL, ~13% for the 100)

DNFs aren't reliably tracked after the MTBR era and before the Lifetime acquisition but I'm sure this is far and away the worst showing of the modern era. So many people spent big bucks and a lot of time to have it all go down the drain in the first hour.

This was in the comments of one of the IG posts

Last edited by spoonrobot; 06-05-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This event seems to take everything I like about gravel riding and replace it with everything I don't like about it.
I tend to agree. I did the event every year from 2007 to 2013. In 2007 there were 45 starters. Totally different experience and feel from the last year I participated where there may have been close to 1000 starters. Can't imagine what it's like now with 2000 participants, multiple distance events going on simultaneously and photographers/drones following the race.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:20 PM

Agh what a nightmare!
Old 06-05-2023, 02:59 PM
aka RAEKWON

I agree. I almost was gonna do it in 2020, I was training for it and then covid hit. Now I think what the hell was I thinking. $350 to go to this and they don't even provide food or anything. I then decided to transfer the entry to next year for some reason, changed my mind a few months later but was too late, they did not want to refund me my money. Oh well.

I think this ride was probably actually pretty cool at some point
Old 06-05-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I agree. I almost was gonna do it in 2020, I was training for it and then covid hit. Now I think what the hell was I thinking. $350 to go to this and they don't even provide food or anything. I then decided to transfer the entry to next year for some reason, changed my mind a few months later but was too late, they did not want to refund me my money. Oh well.

I think this ride was probably actually pretty cool at some point

did you say three fiddy? and then you still got take time off for travel to get there, rent a place and provide self support. I had thought of training for one of these gold star events but yeahhellno! Great business model though.

Is this pricing typical or a supply and demand situation? Most regional events around me are ~$100 -$150. I kind of thought that was a lot but at least they seem to be well supported with feed and aid stations.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:39 PM

I’m really not a fan of events, period. The roads look beautiful, and I’ve thought of going at a different time and hiring local support. Anybody know what time of year would be best?
Old 06-05-2023, 04:47 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
did you say three fiddy? and then you still got take time off for travel to get there, rent a place and provide self support. I had thought of training for one of these gold star events but yeahhellno! Great business model though.

Is this pricing typical or a supply and demand situation? Most regional events around me are ~$100 -$150. I kind of thought that was a lot but at least they seem to be well supported with feed and aid stations.
after taxes and fees was north of $300 yes, and this was before covid so I bet its probably approaching $400. And you have to get your own food and drinks and have to have somebody there to hold your crap for when you come by. They chuck it up to "self support".
Old 06-05-2023, 04:50 PM

the pricing is nuts. what is the support? no food at all?
the best parts of fondos are the stations / water stops and the sag wagon. makes it a lot easier to ride, say 100 miles of gravel in a remote area.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:53 PM
Back At It!

I've watched a few "after-race" videos and it looked like there were stops available with mech support and food/drinks.. no idea if the promotor supplied or another group, but it looked like it was there..

This is one I watched this morning..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smfcZ_gf_ms
Old 06-05-2023, 04:55 PM

2023 Entry Fees:

XL: $250
200: $290
100: $190
50: $80
25: $40
Old 06-05-2023, 04:55 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I’m really not a fan of events, period. The roads look beautiful, and I’ve thought of going at a different time and hiring local support. Anybody know what time of year would be best?
probably not during the rainy season..
Old 06-05-2023, 05:05 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
the pricing is nuts. what is the support? no food at all?
the best parts of fondos are the stations / water stops and the sag wagon. makes it a lot easier to ride, say 100 miles of gravel in a remote area.
there is no support but water in 1 place provided by them (at least that is what was in 2019 and was gonna be for 2020, maybe has changed. THen you can get your own water at 2 other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
2023 Entry Fees:

XL: $250
200: $290
100: $190
50: $80
25: $40
so yeah $290 but pretty sure there are taxes or something else on top of that. Maybe I am wrong. Still $290 is a crap ton of money for 0 support
Old 06-05-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
so yeah $290 but pretty sure there are taxes or something else on top of that. Maybe I am wrong. Still $290 is a crap ton of money for 0 support
On one hand, I understand the perspective that if they still have a waitlist to et in, they could probably be charging more or providing even less support. On the other hand, I think if they don't do more for the participants, this will no longer be the premier gravel event in another decade.

In comparison, I ran the Chicago marathon last year--a similar top-level destination event, where the pros race it, and schlubs like me just show up to finish it. That event also has lottery to get in, so they clearly don't need to be attracting more people in the short run, but out on the course, they still had water and gatorade every 1-2 miles, and energy gels at 2-3 spots on the course.

Now, maybe some will say the spirit of gravel is making your wife stand around at an aid station with a cooler waiting for you, but I agree with you that Unbound sure looks like a lousy value, and I think it's just as likely the event starts to die off (at least as a mass participation event) as it continues to grow.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:19 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
On one hand, I understand the perspective that if they still have a waitlist to et in, they could probably be charging more or providing even less support. On the other hand, I think if they don't do more for the participants, this will no longer be the premier gravel event in another decade.

In comparison, I ran the Chicago marathon last year--a similar top-level destination event, where the pros race it, and schlubs like me just show up to finish it. That event also has lottery to get in, so they clearly don't need to be attracting more people in the short run, but out on the course, they still had water and gatorade every 1-2 miles, and energy gels at 2-3 spots on the course.

Now, maybe some will say the spirit of gravel is making your wife stand around at an aid station with a cooler waiting for you, but I agree with you that Unbound sure looks like a lousy value, and I think it's just as likely the event starts to die off (at least as a mass participation event) as it continues to grow.
I agree. No one is forcing anyone to pay the money and I did pay it, for some reason I was enamored with the event and still think its in a very cool location, ect but at the same time I also think there are so many other great events that offer more for less, just won't get the I did unbound clout
Old 06-05-2023, 05:58 PM

This isn't quite the best comparison, but since money and support are clearly issues, I'll throw it out as an example.

Cycle Zydeco is not a race like Unbound. It's a 5 day rolling party, which I did earlier this year. For $635 USD, roughly twice the Unbound fee:
  • Your choice of 2-4 routes/distances every day. No need.to choose in advance, just roll as you please.
  • Shuttles to and from hotels (you pay) and campgrounds (free) all day and into the night.
  • Dinner every night - crawfish boil, gumbo, etc.
  • One or two bands every night.
  • Rest stops with fruit, water, pickle juice, beer, energy bars, Powerade, etc.
  • Occasional mid ride events like a swamp tour or band.
  • Sag wagon and repairs.
  • Bike security every night.
  • Friendly and helpful staff.
  • t-shirt and water bottle, and options to buy a jersey, bibs, gloves, arm warmers, etc.
You can do just the weekend for a reduced fee.

Comparing a one day high profile race to a five day laissez faire event isn't necessarily fair, but if I had to choose I know which one I'd pick.

The price goes up as you get closer to the event. If you can't make it for some reason they'll roll your registration over to the next year.