Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 05:29 PM

Quebec City (vicinity) ride advice needed

Hey all, I'll be spending about a week there in late July with my family and I'll try to sneak out for a couple early am rides while there. Any suggested areas that are must-see/ride? I'll bring an all-road style bike so gravel is fine, just probably not single track stuff.

TIA
Old 05-31-2023, 05:34 PM

Depends where you are staying in relation to the city. Some great gravel riding on the south shore (near the city of Levis, especially if you continue east for a little bit).

A very fun ride, which has plenty of good locations to stop riding around Ile d'Orleans, it sits in the middle of the St. Lawrence, maybe 20-30 minute drive from Quebec City. Lots of farms to see, roadside farmers markets, and amazing views. By that time in July, fresh strawberries as well which are great. The roads are pretty good (not big shoulders) but people are generally courteous.

There is a bike path also that leaves from Quebec City and heads East toward Ste. Anne du Beaupre, you'll see Montmorency falls which is pretty impressive.

Depending on how much time you'll have, also lots of good riding in Jacques Cartier national park, which has hosted some gran fondos in the past.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:37 PM

Twenty years ago I rode from Levis east for a few days, really nice, because small towns and the highway parallels the old road so most of the traffic is on the highway. I tried coming back on the north side, but that road was busy and had 18 wheelers passing us at 70 mph with what felt like a foot to spare! Very good food and snacks!
Old 06-04-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
Depends where you are staying in relation to the city. Some great gravel riding on the south shore (near the city of Levis, especially if you continue east for a little bit).

A very fun ride, which has plenty of good locations to stop riding around Ile d'Orleans, it sits in the middle of the St. Lawrence, maybe 20-30 minute drive from Quebec City. Lots of farms to see, roadside farmers markets, and amazing views. By that time in July, fresh strawberries as well which are great. The roads are pretty good (not big shoulders) but people are generally courteous.

There is a bike path also that leaves from Quebec City and heads East toward Ste. Anne du Beaupre, you'll see Montmorency falls which is pretty impressive.

Depending on how much time you'll have, also lots of good riding in Jacques Cartier national park, which has hosted some gran fondos in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Twenty years ago I rode from Levis east for a few days, really nice, because small towns and the highway parallels the old road so most of the traffic is on the highway. I tried coming back on the north side, but that road was busy and had 18 wheelers passing us at 70 mph with what felt like a foot to spare! Very good food and snacks!
Good stuff, thanks! Yes, I had my eyes on the Natl park for an excursion for the whole family, but I might ride out there early one morning as well. thx
Old 06-04-2023, 11:13 AM

A few years ago on a ride to St. Johns, Newfoundland, took the Gare fluviale de Québec | Traverse Québec-Lévis waterfront ferry across to Levis, Quebec and there was a really enjoyable well used cycle path up the South Shore all the way to Lévis Pointe-de-la-Martinière Park. Easily viewed on google maps.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
I did some riding up there on a family trip a number of years ago.
Nothing struck me as spectacular, but all was "good".

My family made a point of meeting me at a very good ice cream shop on the southwest corner of Ile d'Orleans. If your family has similar interests, it makes for a nice rendezvous point: LINK
Old 06-04-2023, 11:06 PM

in town, the boulevard champlain follows the st-lawrence river and is a nice, scenic route; I think they have a piste cyclabe (bike path) now. Not a super long road and you will have to climb back up the cliff at some point, but worth it (it passes below the church where I was married, St Michel de Sillery on one of the less steep climbs. Cote Gilmour climbs up into the Plaines d'Abraham park; steep). You can keep heading east and pick up the Avenue Royale towards Mont St-Anne and the Chutes Montmorency that were both previously mentioned . Not spectacular but heading west towards Cap Rouge is a nice ride; you can keep going towards St Augustin. Pretty quiet roads mostly although I haven't ridden there in decades. Louis Garneau lived in St Augustin bitd. His first factory was right there too. Be aware that long winters mean that summer is construction season. Finally, Québec isn't too densely populated/industrial so a sightseeing jaunt around town is do-able too. And be aware that "côte" means (sometimes steep) hill when checking out maps
Old 06-05-2023, 08:35 AM

I would write to Velo Cartel or Collectif Parlee for routes around the city!

https://collectifparlee.com/blog - Adding this because they may have a couple routes on there

Maybe they'll have a club ride in the AM while you're there.
If you have instagram, it's a good place to reach out IME