Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2023, 07:06 PM

The wife and I each have a couple of the Patagucci capilene hoodies. No complaints. Lightweight, fit well, etc. Seem to be one of the thinner options - some of hte less expensive options are a little thicker fabric.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:08 PM

I have been using Free Fly for these types of needs and could not be happier.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:44 PM

I like the Patagonia capilene ones, as well. Especially the “lightweight” material (capilene cool daily, i think?) as they have midweight in their lineup, too, which are too warm for summer sun/temps. The lightweight ones are thin and comfortable in summer humidity, and for me held up well working outside moving through dense jungle, humid 80-90F. Can’t recall any rips or tears despite some pretty tough conditions. They definitely breathe and help evaporate sweat, and will soak through but dry quickly, at least in my experience.

Patagonia also makes a rash guard which I’ve used surfing and essentially feels the same as the capilene cool daily, perhaps a touch thicker. I think those are rated UPF 40+.

A little different, but the REI Sahara Solid long sleeve shirts are also nice if you want a collar and buttons. Those are UPF 30.

Last edited by nighthawk; 06-04-2023 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:34 PM

Any of these with back pockets like a typical cycling jersey?
Last year I switched to Naviskin UPF 50+ sun shirts, about $22 IIRC on Amazon, and they do the job but I sometimes wish for a pocket or two
Old 06-04-2023, 09:09 PM

I'm pretty fair skinned and wear different variations of the TGR sun hoodies when in hot/dry climates with strong UV. They work well for me. e.g. https://shop.tetongravity.com/produc...b112e0d5&_ss=r
Old 06-05-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Any of these with back pockets like a typical cycling jersey?
Last year I switched to Naviskin UPF 50+ sun shirts, about $22 IIRC on Amazon, and they do the job but I sometimes wish for a pocket or two
Not that I've seen. And I wouldn't want a pocket on a non-fitted shirt (I've had them on baggy mountain bike jerseys and stuff just bounces around).
Old 06-05-2023, 08:29 AM

Very time relevant thread. There's been a bunch of recent press about sunscreen issues.

The whole thing with the dermatologists constantly screaming sunscreen all day every day all year at the same time so many sunscreen ingredients are not recognized as GRAS and so many US sunscreens have ingredients banned in the EU is pretty disturbing.

Not useful for cycling but I wear a full brim Tilley hat a lot. Awesome hat and keeps me from getting too much sun on my face/neck with less need to worry about sunscreen. I think they are starting to move production to Asia but the made in Canada ones are astonishingly good.. they aren't even broken in when other hats are falling apart. Edit.. too late, the model I have is no longer made in Canada.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Not that I've seen. And I wouldn't want a pocket on a non-fitted shirt (I've had them on baggy mountain bike jerseys and stuff just bounces around).
I ordered a Bellwether to see. It was on sale at Performance in my size for $31. I don't see myself loading the pockets up, I don't do that with cool season gear. But it's nice to stuff something in there occasionally for quick access, like my reading glasses!
Old 06-05-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I ordered a Bellwether to see. It was on sale at Performance in my size for $31. I don't see myself loading the pockets up, I don't do that with cool season gear. But it's nice to stuff something in there occasionally for quick access, like my reading glasses!
That appears to be a fitted jersey. Most of the sun shirts are very loose. For cycling, that Sol-Air looks like a good option.

Most of the time, I'll have some sort of bag with me when I'm wearing a sun shirt outside. SUP = dry bag tied to board. Hiking = hip bag or small backpack. Etc.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:52 AM

I had good luck in the past with Bellwether.

As long as something isn't fit for the weekend warrior with a little gut it's good for me... I don't want the full on painted on race fit but I need it to be a little fitted. The stuff really targeted at the casual fit ends up being tight in the chest and baggy in the stomach on me and then perversely it actually makes me look overweight cause of all the extra material in the stomach.. and then it ripples in the wind. Annoying.

The bellwether stuff I had in the past had that just right in between fit. It's been a while though.

Not for cycling but I have a couple sun shirts that are from land's end that are fine for beach or other activities. They just don't have jersey pockets.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
The Bellweather jersey is pretty nice, as is the Pearl Izumi long sleeve. I also tried the Aerotech jerseys; don't like their fabric or design quite as much...

I love the Patagonia shirts...I have three different LS "trail running" versions...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-05-2023, 03:23 PM
ZhugeLiang

I just bought one from Costco $9.99 in store
https://www.costco.com/hang-ten-men'...000036835.html