Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
So, will Ime Udoka replace Nash?
The league needs to step in and squash that pending deal (like MBL did ions/years ago when Finley had his fire sale) - "not good for the image of the league".

Also they need to fine Irving - I get the free speech and all that, but they have to take a stance and stand for something!!!
Old 11-02-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Why is Kyrie still playing?
That’s an interesting question. I’m not sure what the answer is.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
That’s an interesting question. I’m not sure what the answer is.
Holocaust denial = carry on.
Support for Hong Kong = behind the scenes action to force a recant.

It's time for the league's commish to start commissioning.

Meanwhile, I'm going to steal this from Rob Mahoney: " The Brooklyn Nets aren’t just the greatest **** show in the NBA, but a **** show so colossal as to have its own gravitational pull—to perpetuate bizarre decisions in a kind of relentless feedback loop, turning bad to worse to truly inexplicable."

Of all available basketball people to pull them out of this dumpster fire, they pick the one guy who has judgement so poor that he's been quasi-fired by a division rival, and that rival is like "great, take him off of our hands"

Last edited by Jaybee; 11-02-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Holocaust denial = carry on.
Support for Hong Kong = behind the scenes action to force a recant.

It's time for the league's commish to start commissioning.

Meanwhile, I'm going to steal this from Rob Mahoney: " The Brooklyn Nets aren’t just the greatest **** show in the NBA, but a **** show so colossal as to have its own gravitational pull—to perpetuate bizarre decisions in a kind of relentless feedback loop, turning bad to worse to truly inexplicable."

Of all available basketball people to pull them out of this dumpster fire, they pick the one guy who has judgement so poor that he's been quasi-fired by a division rival, and that rival is like "great, take him off of our hands"
Great response.

The whole Kyrie episode is straight-up science fiction. It almost beggars belief. Once you get past the league’s timidity and hypocrisy in this case, a part of me has a grudging admiration for Irving. Not for his bonkers viewpoints on a whole slew of topics, but because he didn’t offer up some wan, boilerplate apology cooked up by the PR department.

“Nope. I said it. And I’m standing by it.”
Old 11-02-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Great response.

The whole Kyrie episode is straight-up science fiction. It almost beggars belief. Once you get past the league’s timidity and hypocrisy in this case, a part of me has a grudging admiration for Irving. Not for his bonkers viewpoints on a whole slew of topics, but because he didn’t offer up some wan, boilerplate apology cooked up by the PR department.

“Nope. I said it. And I’m standing by it.”
This defiant pathology is a really frustrating pattern that has become the norm broadly in politics and social discourse lately too. I guess it's not a new behaviour, but ethics and reasonable compromise seem to be falling out of fashion. Now it's "**** you, I have my own reality."

KJ
Old 11-02-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
OTH, Green was arguably responsible for their 2016 finals loss due to being ejected and hard to see how Poole doesn’t leave if Draymond stays. I love DG. But really hard to keep making excuses for the guy. Unless you’re Bob Meyers.
Give Lebron credit for instigating that ejection. He stepped over Green on the floor and Green took the bait.

But in the end the NBA wanted Cleveland to win that championship.

As a lifelong Laker fan I wish Lebron never came to the Lakers and I wish he would force his exit from the team now like he has orchestrated his past departures.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:40 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
As a lifelong Laker fan I wish Lebron never came to the Lakers and I wish he would force his exit from the team now like he has orchestrated his past departures.
So, you want to get rid of LeBron, but keep Westbrook?
Old 11-02-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
So, you want to get rid of LeBron, but keep Westbrook?
Why Pelinka brought Westbrook on board is beyond me. Everyone knew it was a bad move. The Lakers need to stop pretending they are contenders and just blow up the lineup and start fresh. The league has passed them by.

That covid bubble was a gift championship that made them think they can still win.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:22 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
The Lakers need to stop pretending they are contenders and just blow up the lineup and start fresh.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:53 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Why Pelinka brought Westbrook on board is beyond me. Everyone knew it was a bad move. The Lakers need to stop pretending they are contenders and just blow up the lineup and start fresh. The league has passed them by.

That covid bubble was a gift championship that made them think they can still win.
I have enjoyed the near decade of ineptitude. The organization has made obviously terrible choices over and over again and its nice when the large teams are impacted by their dumb moves.
The Knicks have been a joke for basically this entire century, having finished over .500 only 4 times. And the Lakers have been in a nearly 10 year slump of their own doing. Its glorious.

From the absurd contract they gave Kobe, which completely killed their ability to surround him with talent at the end, to the insistence that they can fit square pegs into round holes with the superstar talent they have amassed over the last 5 years- its all a total circus and who doesnt like to watch the high wire act fail?

That NBA Bubble championship made me hesitate for a moment. For just a second I thought 'oh man, maybe they do have this figured out!', but then I saw them play like the Washington Generals a couple months later in the following season and realized the grand experiment would continue to be a total failure.
That NBA Bubble was lightning in a bottle. Good for them for catching it, they certainly have spent enough money and embarrassed themselves in the media enough over the last 10 years to show they put in the work to deserve a title.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:53 AM

The bubble championship was mostly Anthony Davis shooting a standard deviation above his career average for a month.

Westbrook, whom I admittedly loved when he was in OKC, is a terrible fit and example 3,422 why players shouldn't be allowed to be GMs during their playing days. LeBron wanted his friends, and he got them. A competent GM and one with enough power (like Griff, when LeBron was a Cav) says "I don't care who your friends are. You're a basketball savant and we're surrounding you with 4 shooters at all times and at least one guy, preferably two, who can run a pick and roll where you're not the ball-handler."

Bringing this full circle, the Nets also have the "player as GM" problem.

Fun stories though: I'm really enjoying the Raptors this year. Positionless basketball! Siakam for MVP!
Old 11-03-2022, 10:44 AM

Sorry about the NBA soap opera/power struggle situation. I don't watch it, or college ball anymore.

I do, however, like to watch the older NBA clips. Guys with a lot less skill seemed to make up for it with intelligence and determination, or all three, but the older NBA seemed to have a higher % of players who appeared to relish nothing more than to be on the court, giving it 100%.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Fun stories though: I'm really enjoying the Raptors this year. Positionless basketball! Siakam for MVP!
My Raps are really coming along. We added a ton of depth this off-season - one of our main weaknesses last year. Otto Porter Jr. coming here from the Dubs as a free agent also helped us get over the "good NBA players don't want to play in Canada" stigma.

Raps are the antithesis of the Nets/Sixers/Lakers/Warriors big-tent circuses - no drama or toxic personalities, good vibes, unselfish play, visionary organization that invests in its players, etc etc.

KJ
Old 11-03-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
My Raps are really coming along. We added a ton of depth this off-season - one of our main weaknesses last year. Otto Porter Jr. coming here from the Dubs as a free agent also helped us get over the "good NBA players don't want to play in Canada" stigma.

Raps are the antithesis of the Nets/Sixers/Lakers/Warriors big-tent circuses - no drama or toxic personalities, good vibes, unselfish play, visionary organization that invests in its players, etc etc.

KJ
Raptors are absolutely the most successful combo of front office patience/aptitude/maturity in the league right now, but the Warriors really are only a circus due to Green (and somewhat KD when he was there, but it was a short time). If Green wasn't such a nutsack-targeting psychopath they woud've won the series in 2016 handily. As discussed before he absolutely brings a talent mix that's essential to how the Warriors play and succeed, but he'll be a liabilty as soon as the mileage finally takes its toll.

And Nash leaving the dumpster fire of BK is the best decision anyone's made in the NBA this year. They've now got a crazy situation in San Antonio and their lottery pick being a creep, which was the "adult in the room" for decades. And galaxy brain Kyrie will never stop being a contrarian idiot.

It's too bad as the talent pool of the NBA is at it's highest point since the early-90s. At every position on the court there's no clear-cut best player, and oftentimes the debate can go 5 deep with athletic freaks all over the map.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Raptors are absolutely the most successful combo of front office patience/aptitude/maturity in the league right now, but the Warriors really are only a circus due to Green (and somewhat KD when he was there, but it was a short time). If Green wasn't such a nutsack-targeting psychopath they woud've won the series in 2016 handily. As discussed before he absolutely brings a talent mix that's essential to how the Warriors play and succeed, but he'll be a liabilty as soon as the mileage finally takes its toll.

And Nash leaving the dumpster fire of BK is the best decision anyone's made in the NBA this year. They've now got a crazy situation in San Antonio and their lottery pick being a creep, which was the "adult in the room" for decades. And galaxy brain Kyrie will never stop being a contrarian idiot.

It's too bad as the talent pool of the NBA is at it's highest point since the early-90s. At every position on the court there's no clear-cut best player, and oftentimes the debate can go 5 deep with athletic freaks all over the map.
Respectfully, I don't think the Spurs belong in this conversation. Based on available reporting, they cut Primo pretty much immediately after they figured out what he did. That's the sign of remaining the "adult in the room"

I agree that NBA talent is pretty much as good as it's been, probably ever. On a nightly basis you're seeing better players executing more advanced offense and defense than we ever saw during the supposed glory days of the 80's and 90's.

I also agree that Nash leaving was a great decision, for him. Even if it wasn't as mutual as the press release says it was, there's got to be a part of him that is just soooo happy to not have to deal with any of that circus.