Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 03:01 PM
litcrazy

Sugino RS2L Cranks for External Bottom Bracket

I just saw one of these Gugino RS2L cranks and was curious if anyone was any experience with them. They have a 24mm spindle and attach with some variation of a pinch bolt on the non drive side.
A few questions:
1. Are they nice (I’m generally a sugino beleiver)?
2. Do they work with shimano bottom brackets?
3. Are they lighter than saw xd2 cranks for square taper?
The idea of a modern crank with traditional chainrings appeals to me. As such, myinterest was piqued but I’m not sure what to think.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litcrazy View Post
I just saw one of these Gugino RS2L cranks and was curious if anyone was any experience with them. They have a 24mm spindle and attach with some variation of a pinch bolt on the non drive side.
A few questions:
1. Are they nice (I’m generally a sugino beleiver)?
2. Do they work with shimano bottom brackets?
3. Are they lighter than saw xd2 cranks for square taper?
The idea of a modern crank with traditional chainrings appeals to me. As such, myinterest was piqued but I’m not sure what to think.
I have a very nice Sugino 11sp OX901d subcompact crank that uses standard Shimano Hollowtech II BB external bearings and standard Sugino 5 arm chainrings, with the non-drive arm attached the same way as Shimano does with a pinchbolt. I don't know about the RS2L, but a Google image looks like the same design as mine. Probably a little lighter than an XD2 with something like a UN55 BB but who's counting? My OX 901d double weights about the same as an Ultegra 6800, but the price is more on the order of DA, and I had to order it directly from Japan. But it's very pretty and the subcompact design provides lots of chainring options.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:55 PM

I think what you're looking for is the Sugino TD2 700D.

It was a crank that was released around 2007ish (based on this archived webpage) that used a 24mm spindle and worked/works with hollowtech bottom brackets.

They came stock on some Specialized (again, I think?) models around that time for a very brief period but otherwise they are stupid hard to find in the US, however they occasionally pop up on eBay or eBay equivalents in Japan (Auctions Yahoo! Japan).

I only know this because I picked up a triple a while back I really wanted to see if I could find a double
Old 06-05-2023, 05:08 AM
litcrazy

Have you ridden that triple? How does it feel in hand? Beefy or nice? I think that’s what I was looking at.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:47 AM

It's definitely not the lightest, but the quality seems pretty good.

I've read that the pinch bolt design is prone to issues of the NDS walking itself loose if not torqued properly and loctite used.

I've never used these because I don't actually need a triple but may use it for 1x some day as the middle ring position would give a nice chain line. The axle unfortunately has some pitting though so not sure useable it is
Old 06-05-2023, 08:16 AM
litcrazy

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll pass. I’d be more tempted if it was 110 bcd rather than 130 for the outer rings.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbm View Post
I've read that the pinch bolt design is prone to issues of the NDS walking itself loose if not torqued properly and loctite used.
The trick here is that when doing install, lightly tighten the arm cap bolt (10mm or 8mm allen, can't remember which size) to set bearing preload, then sequentially tighten the two 4/5 mm allens that fix the arm to the axle, then lastly, tighten down that cap more. That last step will keep the arm from walking off over time. (and obviously make sure the cap is made of metal, not plastic to do this)
Old 06-05-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I think I’ll pass. I’d be more tempted if it was 110 bcd rather than 130 for the outer rings.
The Sugino OX901D mentioned above has a 24mm HollowTechII compatible spindle and a 110mm BCD. While this crank is often referred to as a "subcompact" due to being able to use 74mm inner chainrings, it also works with 110mm inner chainrings, so it can be setup with "standard" compact chainring combos like a 50/34 or 52/36. It is available in either silver or black, with crank lengths from 160mm to 175mm (in 2.5mm increments).
Old 06-05-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Not sure you're alluding to the one you saw or mine, but to be clear mine is not for sale. I have a hoarding problem when it comes to rare parts
Old 06-05-2023, 12:39 PM
litcrazy

I was looking at another. I think I’ll wait for one of those 110 options. Best, z