Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2024, 11:22 AM

OT: advice on buying a used Mac.

I’m thinking of buying a used Mac Air 13. The big caveat is that I’m not technically oriented. And that’s putting it diplomatically. What questions should I be asking? Looking for 8GB Memory and 512GB storage.

I found this guide, but it’s way too complicated for me: https://www.martinnobel.com/techrese...-what-to-check

If anyone has a much simpler checklist, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2024, 11:27 AM

That's a really good list. If it's overwhelming, just check these three things:

#1 - iCloud activation lock

#2 - Specs are as described

#7 - MDM enrollment. Is is similar to item #1, but for corporate IT management. If the Mac is still locked to the company, and you'll have a tough time contacting their IT to unenroll the laptop.

#7 should be higher up on that author's list.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
That's a really good list. If it's overwhelming, just check these three things:

#1 - iCloud activation lock

#2 - Specs are as described

#7 - MDM enrollment. Is is similar to item #1, but for corporate IT management. If the Mac is still locked to the company, and you'll have a tough time contacting their IT to unenroll the laptop.

#7 should be higher up on that author's list.
This was on a couple of lists. I don’t have a clue what this means. Can you break this down in simpler terms? Thanks so much.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:36 AM

Corporate equipment often has mobile device management (MDM) software so IT can push software updates, restrict what people can use, maybe even lock out users when they leave the company.

#7 is checking to make sure the Mac is no longer enrolled in such programs. Otherwise you risk buying a piece of hardware that is still tethered to some IT department. I.e. it's your not computer.

Ideally when they decommission computers, they also unenroll computers, but it's not uncommon for this step to be skipped.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Corporate equipment often has mobile device management (MDM) software so IT can push software updates, restrict what people can use, maybe even lock out users when they leave the company.

#7 is checking to make sure the Mac is no longer enrolled in such programs. Otherwise you risk buying a piece of hardware that is still tethered to some IT department. I.e. it's your not computer.

Ideally when they decommission computers, they also unenroll computers, but it's not uncommon for this step to be skipped.
OK, thx!
Old 08-23-2024, 11:51 AM

MacBook Air after 2017 cannot be upgraded.
Make sure that your 8GB/512GB config is enough for the future.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
MacBook Air after 2017 cannot be upgraded.
Make sure that your 8GB/512GB config is enough for the future.
It's a little embarrassing that Apple still ships M1/2/3 machines with 8gb of RAM, but I have an M1 MBA and for the most part it's enough memory for web browsing and basic content creation. If I'm editing video with Davinci Resolve it can have an error about running out of memory and then I just quit a few apps and it's fine.
Old 08-23-2024, 12:29 PM

I would go this path for bit more mental security, if you are not hard core gaming, video editing M1 (which I am typing on) is more than enough.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac
Old 08-23-2024, 12:41 PM

COSTCO sells the M2 for $799 (and the M3 for $849). Both have 256Gb but storage is cheap.

I'd having to be saving a boatload at that price to be buying used.
Old 08-23-2024, 12:43 PM
Vendor

I'd also check the latest OS that the Mac supports. Browsers, like Chrome, support only a limited number of past OS versions. BUT, if you get a screaming deal and you're OK taking a bit of a gamble then checkout Open Core Legacy Project. They've got patches to run newer OSs on older unsupported Macs. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it for a mission critical work computer, but it's been working great for casual browsing, YouTube, Netflix, etc. I'd recommend at least 8GB RAM and an SSD. I've got three older Macs with OSs no longer supported, but are now running Monterey, Ventura, or Sonoma.
Old 08-23-2024, 12:44 PM

Spec-wise, you want the Apple chips (not Intel). Not really a massive difference between the M1, M2, or M3 chips.

The case design changed between M1 (<=2021) and M2 (2022+) MacBook Airs (from the old tapered edge to the chunkier looking squared edge).

I'd probably get an M2 with 8 or 16gb RAM and 256gb or 512gb hard drive.

The list above is good for ensuring you can log-in and use the device.

If you're buying from a known reseller, the checklist isn't as critical. But it's a must-do list for buying from random online sellers.
Old 08-23-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
COSTCO sells the M2 for $799 (and the M3 for $849). Both have 256Gb but storage is cheap.
Storage isn't user-upgradeable on Macs, so it's not even remotely "cheap". It's either pay Apple's markup or do without (unless you mean an external drive, but that's something else altogether).
Old 08-23-2024, 12:51 PM

Buying a used Mac from an individual? I've done that...walked into a fast food joint with a fat wad of cash (after checking out the seller pretty extensively)...but probably would not do that again...

I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished Mac from BestBuy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 1.48.36 PM.jpg (45.5 KB, 223 views)
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 08-23-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Spec-wise, you want the Apple chips (not Intel). Not really a massive difference between the M1, M2, or M3 chips.

The case design changed between M1 (<=2021) and M2 (2022+) MacBook Airs (from the old tapered edge to the chunkier looking squared edge).

I'd probably get an M2 with 8 or 16gb RAM and 256gb or 512gb hard drive.

The list above is good for ensuring you can log-in and use the device.

If you're buying from a known reseller, the checklist isn't as critical. But it's a must-do list for buying from random online sellers.
Hard drives are magnetic disks, Apple has not used HD for years, want a SSD!
Old 08-23-2024, 12:53 PM

Another advocate for the new(er) MacBook Airs. My wife has an M2 and it's a really sweet little machine.

I buy all my Apple stuff through BestBuy. Everyone has the same sales / pricing and if you join Total Care (something like that - maybe just "Total") you get the Apple Care for free, which you're definitely going to want with a laptop. If I remember correctly, they often run sales on the Total Care so you're basically getting it for free when you buy a laptop (assuming you were going to get Apple Care anyway). Then, you're covered for all of your Apple purchases. I'm not an extended warranty kind of guy, but this seems like the way to go with Apple products.

Tags
apple