Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Wow thats interesting. And we have these things riding around among us all the time in city traffic.
the problem is the people that believe the name "autopilot." Tesla should rename it "keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes out the windshield because you are driving"

Tesla says the crash was the highway department's fault for not putting the barrels back after a previous accident. I say they failed to pick up on a faint line on the road and line following is a stupid way to drive a car in the first place. Uber is lucky one of their autonomous cars didn't get to that intersection first.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
I was just trying to understand the line you were drawing between two systems that process received light to build a 3D model of objects. You seemed to be saying that their receipt by the AI was different in an important way, and that "seeing" is implicitly different between received LIDAR bounces and received ambient light in terms of how an AI would be able to use them.
No. No line being drawn.

ambiguity or classification could be due to several reasons.

What if LIDAR system failed, do we know whether the video system doesn't or could act as a backup. How Uber uses both systems is unknown......that is what I said.

These systems are not ready for prime time and the lack of oversight over us guinea pigs is disgusting. Not really interesting in discussing the technology any further. As I said, I'm an old dinosaur on this stuff. Prefer to be a living one.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:34 PM

I used the LAB link *posted on page 3 of this thread* to contact my NJ US Senators. This is the reply I received today from Senator Bob Menendez:

"Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the American Vision for Safer Transportation through Advancement of Revolutionary Technologies (AV START) Act. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this critical issue.

As you may know, this legislation aims to modernize federal motor vehicle regulations in order to facilitate the deployment of autonomous passenger vehicles onto our roadways. As traffic fatalities, including pedestrian and cyclist deaths, continue to rise, many have lauded the ability of autonomous vehicles to improve safety and eliminate human error. However, I have also heard concerns from some that the AV START Act could compromise safety by providing exemptions to federal motor vehicle safety standards to some autonomous vehicles. However, it should be noted that under current law, exempted vehicles must demonstrate equivalent levels of safety to non-exempt vehicles. The AV START Act was passed by voice vote by the Senate Commerce Committee, of which I am not a member, but has not yet come to the floor of the Senate for consideration.

Throughout my tenure in Congress I have been a staunch advocate for motor vehicle safety. I have fought hard to ensure that commercial drivers get the proper amount of rest before operating motor vehicles, called for improved data collection to better inform best vehicle and pedestrian safety practices, and have called on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to expeditiously implement the impaired driving prevention provisions of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act.

Please be assured that the safety of New Jerseyans and all Americans remains my top priority. I will continue to support policies that make our roadways safer for all users, and will keep your thoughts squarely in mind should the AV START Act come before the Senate for a vote."
Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Woman facing vehicular manslaughter charges after it was determined driver was streaming "The Voice" on Hulu at the time of the accident.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1JI0LB
Old 06-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Randomhead

I have doubts Uber told her she was responsible for stopping the car if anything out of the ordinary happened. They are culpable as well
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I have doubts Uber told her she was responsible for stopping the car if anything out of the ordinary happened. They are culpable as well
Hmmmm......not sure about that. I'm positive Uber had an army of attorneys writing the contracts these 'operators' signed. In fact i found this excerpt from the article. I'm no attorney but I would think this would absolve Uber from a lot of the blame........no??

Last month, an Uber spokeswoman said the
company was undergoing a "top-to-bottom safety
review," and had brought on a former federal
transportation official to help improve the company's
safety culture. The company prohibits the use of any
mobile device by safety drivers while the self-driving
cars are on a public road, and drivers are told
they can be fired for violating this rule.