Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
This happes in prospect park a couple of yeara ago too. Someone tied a string across the lane and caused an accident, I think was at night too so pretry hard to see.

People suck and that it all there is to it
there's a bunch of teens who evidently have been throwing rocks at folks riding up the west side highway as of late... which is just a tad more bold than the string traps. some people really are trash.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
three 20 somethings arrested but a woman cyclist was injured when she became entangled in woven string strung across a bike path, causing injuries to her face and neck. One very close to her eye.

What is with people????

BK
Any idea why they did this? When I lived in San Diego, there was a place, bike path with steep sides..****e-heads would sit on wall, throw bottles in front of cyclists, they'd flatten, they'd jump down, rob and steal bike..why I CCWP...
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 AM

Many years ago, when I was still mt biking, I found a trap along a trail in the Loch Raven reservoir area in Baltimore county. I was going down a narrow trail in an area I seldom used. As it was steep and narrow I was riding slowly. Lucky that I looked up in time to see a rusty wire strung across two trees right about head height. It took me a while to unwind it from the trees as it was quite rusted. I just cannot imagine the type of person who would do this. Same that shoots up public places and people I suppose.

Tim
Old 11-12-2018, 08:04 AM

Many, many moons ago i would commute on my bike in DC. Most of my commute was within Rock Creek Park on some of the bike trails they have. One year a woman was hurt considerably as some youths puncher her in the face as she passed by them and then there took her bike.

These horrible antics always seem to occur in the fall right after we change the clocks.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 AM

Had a similar recurring issue on some trails in our area. Person responsible was pretty vocal about his opposition to cyclists on the trails, which are open to riding and actively managed by the local NEMBA chapter.

Local police had a couple of stern conversations with the guy and the booby trapping stopped, fortunately. People were pretty pissed off, not to mention scared, and understandably so... seemed like the possibility of an informal response was growing, which would have been very bad...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 AM

Aggravated assault under Oregon law. Hope the authorities apprehend, charge, try, and convict. The lack of value for human life in our society is appalling.

Greg
Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Here's a write-up from the local bike blog. It also includes some photos of the victim so you can see how dangerous this would have been if they had used something like fishing line instead of string and if had been tied tighter. Literally deadly.

The article also includes a summary of some other fairly recent sabotage incidents on biking paths in Portland.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Randomhead

isn't this the incident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_tI9k4XJc