Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Inmates fighting fires

There are currently a couple thousand prison inmates, as well as youth offenders, fighting these fires. The adults are paid $2 a day and $1 an hour. The state has said they absolutely need the additional labor.

Once they complete their sentences, it will likely be impossible for them to get jobs as firefighters as almost all are closed to former convicts.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:30 PM

They absolutely need a better alert system to get the word out to evacuate. Too many people are dying because they are getting out too late. Our friends in Napa during the Napa/Sonoma fires, heard from an an alert neighbor in the middle of the night, when the fire was way too close. My wife's friend from Paradise decided to get out when she heard what sounded like exploding propane tanks.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:34 PM

You can barely see Mt Tam...

Old 11-13-2018, 04:05 AM

these fires are too fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
They absolutely need a better alert system to get the word out to evacuate. Too many people are dying because they are getting out too late. Our friends in Napa during the Napa/Sonoma fires, heard from an an alert neighbor in the middle of the night, when the fire was way too close. My wife's friend from Paradise decided to get out when she heard what sounded like exploding propane tanks.
having just lived through the Napa/Sonoma fires I can tell you no “rapid response” system would have been adequate. Imagine flames travelling 50 mph or faster. The camp fire spread even faster.
Air quality is still very poor in large portions of the state. From Dunsmuir to SoCal.
Apocalyptic.
Containment estimate for Camp fire is Nov 30!!
Woolsey fire Nov 17...
And more fires are breaking out...
Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Has the potus declared these fires a disaster area? I guess he just did.
Quote:
I just approved an expedited request for a Major Disaster Declaration for the State of California. Wanted to respond quickly in order to alleviate some of the incredible suffering going on. I am with you all the way. God Bless all of the victims and families affected.
+1000
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM

California burning-again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
having just lived through the Napa/Sonoma fires I can tell you no “rapid response” system would have been adequate. Imagine flames travelling 50 mph or faster. The camp fire spread even faster.

Air quality is still very poor in large portions of the state. From Dunsmuir to SoCal.

Apocalyptic.

Containment estimate for Camp fire is Nov 30!!

Woolsey fire Nov 17...

And more fires are breaking out...

I disagree with that. A warning over your cell phone like those loud Amber alerts or a system of sirens throughout the area would be a start in at risk fire areas. Is there even a formal evacuation plan?

Last edited by MikeD; 11-13-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM

I think many of the dead will be seniors, many of whom were incapacitated in one form or another. There are (were) many rest homes in paradise, and many retired seniors living alone. It is also a very poor community, so many of these folks may not have had transportation to get out whether ambulatory or not.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
I think many of the dead will be seniors, many of whom were incapacitated in one form or another. There are (were) many rest homes in paradise, and many retired seniors living alone. It is also a very poor community, so many of these folks may not have had transportation to get out whether ambulatory or not.
This is so incredibly sad to read, on top of all the other sadness. It is truly terrible to think of this. I hope that the points you raise become somehow better addressed in the future.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I disagree with that. A warning over your cell phone like those loud Amber alerts or a system of sirens throughout the area would be a start in at risk fire areas. Is there even a formal evacuation plan?
A warning system may not help much with 50mph Fire stroms. But it will help some. IMO not having one is not an option.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 PM

Serious question. Do folks foresee a "bunker" for fires similar to tornado shelters becoming a thing? Seems like if you could avoid falling trees/roofs, an asbestos lined crawl space would be an option.

Can't believe I'm even thinking about something like that...climate change is gonna be a...scratch that...is a b#$ch.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM
v a n i l l a

What is perhaps lost here, when compared to other terrible natural disasters like tornadoes or hurricanes, is the speed at which these fires (literally firestorms) progress. People literally had no time to react.

The fires make their own weather, and in combination with the winds, accelerate across the land at speeds not seen before.

Besides the obvious destruction, the heat melts the underground utilities and piping. Car batteries and other hazardous items melt into the ground affecting the water table. It's really really bad.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb266 View Post
Serious question. Do folks foresee a "bunker" for fires similar to tornado shelters becoming a thing? Seems like if you could avoid falling trees/roofs, an asbestos lined crawl space would be an option.

Can't believe I'm even thinking about something like that...climate change is gonna be a...scratch that...is a b#$ch.
I think the issue of getting a relatively long-term supply of clean oxygen and scrubbing out CO2, especially for a family, would be a major one for any individual bunker. These fires suck oxygen everywhere, and they last for hours, even days, as very high-danger zones. Plus, the long-lingering smoke-damage/extremely low air-quality all affecting breathable air terribly. A fire zone is really a hellish place to be, for any amount of time.

An enclosed, trapping, "fire bunker" would really not be a good place to be, I think; not like a tornado/hurricane environment and shelter at all.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 11-13-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Just found out that some friends have multiple family members that lost their homes in the town of Paradise
Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM

How exactly do these fires start? Are people crazy enough to flick cigarette ashes for ex.?