Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2018, 02:14 PM

Don't feel bad...
I had one but didn't checkout completely and now it's gone :-(---
Old 10-29-2018, 04:48 PM

I saw this thread just now, posted just a few hours ago, went to the website to buy two as Christmas presents...and all are sold out already!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
I saw this thread just now, posted just a few hours ago, went to the website to buy two as Christmas presents...and all are sold out already!
Watch over the next few weeks. Last year, same thing happened & they restocked about a week later.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Watch over the next few weeks. Last year, same thing happened & they restocked about a week later.
Ok, thank you very much for that tip.

I will email them to ask if can alert me if/when they re-stock and will also check the website every few days. These are great, and would be excellent Christmas presents.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Any wagers on how long these will last?
apparently only two hours of the paceline knowing they exist.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
apparently only two hours of the paceline knowing they exist.
Sounds about on par with last year. Next year let’s see if we can get it under an hour folks
Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 AM

So any noticeable blemishes on your Frankenbell?
This time around I can actually see why they didn't make the cut. Not the most focused pic but there's a small scratch on the silver bell and a bit of paint/ anodizing missing on the bracket area of the black bell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spurcycle.jpg (34.0 KB, 290 views)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Mine has very minor scratches on the bell itself.
My big challenge is which bike to put such a nice bell on! I'll have to see how hard it is to mount and unmount with the stainless steel band. I have an LED headlight with a stretchy rubber band that goes on and off really fast so I move it as needed bike to bike - it would be great if the bell is as easy.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 PM

how cheap are these after shipping/duty to Canada? Worth it compared to a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
This time around I can actually see why they didn't make the cut. Not the most focused pic but there's a small scratch on the silver bell and a bit of paint/ anodizing missing on the bracket area of the black bell.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
how cheap are these after shipping/duty to Canada? Worth it compared to a new one?
$9.50 USD to ship.
You roll the dice as far as duties and taxes go with Canada Post. This time I didn't get hit.
Add 30% exchange.

I bought cuz I needed a bell with shorter reach and the stuff in the LBS is all garbage. I didn't wanna get a knockoff as I do respect the R&D these guys put in to making what really is the nicest bell out there.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
My big challenge is which bike to put such a nice bell on! I'll have to see how hard it is to mount and unmount with the stainless steel band. I have an LED headlight with a stretchy rubber band that goes on and off really fast so I move it as needed bike to bike - it would be great if the bell is as easy.
These are easy to mount, Marc. There are two bands. You use the one which most closely matches the diameter you want to engage for the mount, and slide it up into place under the bell around the diameter. Then tighten the screw at the top of the bell. It's pretty intuitive, once you study the condition. I put one on a stem, because there was a lot going on on the handlebars!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:22 PM

Isn't this a PSA, and shouldn't it be in the classifieds? Just asking for a friend.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:14 AM

Bought the tool kit and am pleasantly surprised by the size & weight. Great little kit for your seat bag or jersey pocket.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Not easy to move bike to bike quickly. As described, it takes a small allen wrench to move it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Nothing on my black one. same as the silver one I ordered last time. If there's a blemish on either, I'm not sure what it was. black looks great on my CAAD10 handlebar. Blends right in.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:02 PM

As an update to my posts above:
I wrote to Spurcycle that very day of the Frankenbell sale, and they very kindly and quickly replied that they sold out almost immediately, within a few hours. What they do is collect and put aside any "seconds" through-out the year and then assemble them all at once for this sale.

However, if someone wants a Frankenbell or two as a Christmas present, as I do for my young nephews, the representative said they may have enough "seconds" parts for a few Frankenbells by the end of November or so. These will not be advertised, though, so one would have to email them specifically.

Note: this post is not a PSA.