Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
So apparently, an American teenager bagged a hat trick in the Bundesliga
Its huge, too, because it snaps a winless streak one shy of the all-time Bundesliga record. Schalke fans, of which there are a lot, will never forget him.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
next stop - juve
Lol

He may be a good understudy for Dybala. Apparently, he didnt always play as a striker, and he has no more than two goals playing in the reserves earlier this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Its huge, too, because it snaps a winless streak one shy of the all-time Bundesliga record. Schalke fans, of which there are a lot, will never forget him.
One presumes he has also attained cult hero status at club with cult following, Tasmania Berlin
Old 01-09-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Lol

He may be a good understudy for Dybala. Apparently, he didnt always play as a striker, and he has no more than two goals playing in the reserves earlier this season.

One presumes he has also attained cult hero status at club with cult following, Tasmania Berlin
Weston McKinnie (Juve) is on loan from Schalke. Did they play together?
Old 01-09-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Weston McKinnie (Juve) is on loan from Schalke. Did they play together?
I doubt it. McKennie had been playing on the first team for quite a while (going back to 2017-18, iirc). Hoppe is a recent arrival; played with the U19s until July 2020 and only recently joined the first team.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
An American scores in the Serie A for Juve against Milan. I know it really shouldnt be that big of a deal, but could one imagine saying something like that three years ago?
juventus midfielder Weston McKennie has the Italian media questioning where the Old Lady would be without the arrival of the USA international.

The American midfielder has been, without a doubt, one of the revelations for Juventus this term and the Italian media praise the 22-year-old after another decisive performance against Bologna on Sunday.

McKennie has played 15 Serie A games, contributing three goals and two assists in the process, and La Gazzetta dello Sport asks, ‘where would Juventus be without this soldier?’.

“A goal, an impossible save by [Lukasz] Skorupski, chances, restarts, stops. Leader,” the newspaper writes.

Il Corriere dello Sport continues the lauding by highlighting his consistency, saying: “A wide man with the ease of entering the middle, he puts in the usual performance.

“He scores the 2-0 goal with the head and nearly gets a brace. More and more essential.”

McKennie’s ratings in the Italian sports pages:

La Gazzetta dello Sport: 7.5

Il Corriere dello Sport: 7

Tuttosport: 8
Old 01-25-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
juventus midfielder Weston McKennie has the Italian media questioning where the Old Lady would be without the arrival of the USA international.

The American midfielder has been, without a doubt, one of the revelations for Juventus this term and the Italian media praise the 22-year-old after another decisive performance against Bologna on Sunday.

McKennie has played 15 Serie A games, contributing three goals and two assists in the process, and La Gazzetta dello Sport asks, ‘where would Juventus be without this soldier?’.

“A goal, an impossible save by [Lukasz] Skorupski, chances, restarts, stops. Leader,” the newspaper writes.

Il Corriere dello Sport continues the lauding by highlighting his consistency, saying: “A wide man with the ease of entering the middle, he puts in the usual performance.

“He scores the 2-0 goal with the head and nearly gets a brace. More and more essential.”

McKennie’s ratings in the Italian sports pages:

La Gazzetta dello Sport: 7.5

Il Corriere dello Sport: 7

Tuttosport: 8
FC Dallas is really churning out quite the backbone for the USMNT. First McKennie, and now Richards.

It's great to see McKennie mature and rise to the occasion. Schalke could really use the presence he brings to the midfield.

On a separate note, quite the year in Serie A, with Juve now chasing the Milanese teams. I'd like to see Zlatan deliver Milan a title, but Juve can't be counted out.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
FC Dallas is really churning out quite the backbone for the USMNT. First McKennie, and now Richards.
Don't forget Reggie Cannon. And add these 4 names as future USMNT players;

Tanner Tessman (over in Munich right now training with Bayern)
Bryan Reynolds - (supposedly Roma and Juventus are looking at him right now)
Paxton Pomykal ( 1 appearance already)
Ricardo Pepi ( turned 18 this month)

If they were this good at churning out youth back when they were the "Burn" I might still live in Dallas ( ok I wouldn't)

As a Timbers fan I am envious. As an Arsenal fan I wish Reynolds was on the radar.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Don't forget Reggie Cannon. And add these 4 names as future USMNT players;

Tanner Tessman (over in Munich right now training with Bayern)
Bryan Reynolds - (supposedly Roma and Juventus are looking at him right now)
Paxton Pomykal ( 1 appearance already)
Ricardo Pepi ( turned 18 this month)

If they were this good at churning out youth back when they were the "Burn" I might still live in Dallas ( ok I wouldn't)

As a Timbers fan I am envious. As an Arsenal fan I wish Reynolds was on the radar.

Thank Bayern München

https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2021/1/6/...-bayern-munich
Old 01-25-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Bayern were also affiliated with a national club team set up called Global Premier Soccer - up until April (roughly) 2020. They had teams in 15 states. Suddenly they filed for bankruptcy and declared themselves insolvent and went out of business. My daughter actually went to a select West coast camp at the University of Santa Barbara run by the Bayern youth coaches before the shut down. She was 11. She was not selected to train in Munich. So I say go Dortmund.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Bayern were also affiliated with a national club team set up called Global Premier Soccer - up until April (roughly) 2020. They had teams in 15 states. Suddenly they filed for bankruptcy and declared themselves insolvent and went out of business. My daughter actually went to a select West coast camp at the University of Santa Barbara run by the Bayern youth coaches before the shut down. She was 11. She was not selected to train in Munich. So I say go Dortmund.
Unfortunately, it ain't Dortmund's year (or a year for any of the other pretenders in the Bundesliga).

Still a fun league to watch, with even mid-table teams rarely resorting to the Mourinho School of Bus Parking, but no title race.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:01 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Unfortunately, it ain't Dortmund's year (or a year for any of the other pretenders in the Bundesliga).

Still a fun league to watch, with even mid-table teams rarely resorting to the Mourinho School of Bus Parking, but no title race.
Looking at this weekend's results, it is hard to say it's Bayerns fault this is a one horse race. FCB are more vulnerable than they have been for 10 years and look at the contenders... Bottlejobs all over the place. And *** is Dortmund doing, first they commit themselves to not being title contenders but rather raise the cash reserve by being a feeder club for the top talents in europe, then they fire the best talent developer in the business for being not ambitious enough to win titles. they will cash in title ambitions for a 100 mio € Check with Haaland, who is spectacular, end of this season again - Sancho too, possibly. Non olet.
The other teams don't even have the excuse any more to say that Bayern is buying their way to the title. (They chase Upamecano but same is true for half the top teams in EU. Leipzig will lose him On that release clause no matter what, the question is just who bags him - similar to Götze, similar to Lewa.). Meanwhile, old man Müller, space interpreter a la bonheur, is piling up the pressure on the Yogiman.
On unrelated news, Klopp, after snatching Thiago, is going after Alaba big time. Late revenge there

Last edited by martl; 01-25-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Looking at this weekend's results, it is hard to say it's Bayerns fault this is a one horse race. FCB are more vulnerable than they have been for 10 years and look at the contenders... Bottlejobs all over the place. And *** is Dortmund doing, first they commit themselves to not being title contenders but rather raise the cash reserve by being a feeder club for the top talents in europe, then they fire the best talent developer in the business for being not ambitious enough to win titles. they will cash in title ambitions for a 100 mio € Check with Haaland, who is spectacular, end of this season again - Sancho too, possibly. Non olet.
The other teams don't even have the excuse any more to say that Bayern is buying their way to the title. (They chase Upamecano but same is true for half the top teams in EU. Leipzig will lose him On that release clause no matter what, the question is just who bags him - similar to Götze, similar to Lewa.). Meanwhile, old man Müller, space interpreter a la bonheur, is piling up the pressure on the Yogiman.
On unrelated news, Klopp, after snatching Thiago, is going after Alaba big time. Late revenge there
I thought Alaba is going to Real Madrid?

Otherwise, spot-on. Lest we forget, Leipzig could have been only one point behind, but it lost to BvB and Mainz (yes, lowly Mainz). Just not very consistent.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:40 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
I thought Alaba is going to Real Madrid?
It's long been his dream to wear that shirt, but . . . would you sign there right now?

At least Liverpool have a manager and a concept in place, and it's conceivable that Alaba could right the ship.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:43 AM
Cranky!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Tuchel can achieve in, say, the next twelve months, because that is actually a very good squad.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Tuchel can achieve in, say, the next twelve months, because that is actually a very good squad.
Agree - it is a decent squad. Wonder what the players will be saying twelve months from now? Do you think Lampard was destined to serve long term or was he just a stop-gap measure?