Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
At least here in Southern California, I'd skip the black next time maybe unless you have a garage. Any ano is perishable. I love my 1Up but it's not really what you'd call black anymore.
Thanks, good to know.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 AM

I should have mentioned I have an older Kuat 2 bike (forgot what model) but doesn't have the built in lock or work stand feature. It's nice, bike stays secure but it rattles at the hinge and is pretty heavy. I liked how in the video the Quik Rack folded up and appeared to be somewhat lighter in weight. Mostly just curious to hear from someone who has used both.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Wow! I have a 1Up rack and this whole situation is pretty interesting.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:34 PM

I have owned the Sportworx, Thule T2, the 1UP USA, the Saris Thelma and the Kuat Sherpa (don't get me started on how many floor pumps I've owned!)

Kuat Sherpa has a higher wife acceptance factor (WAF) - it is lighter (27 pounds vs. 46 pounds for the 1Up) and it has less pinchy parts that can chop your digits.

The Sherpa is the "basic" rack, not the fancier NV with the work stand.

If it was just me I'd use the 1Up or the Quickrack, due to the smaller stored profile and I can lift 46 pounds fine.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:44 PM
bykhed

Although not ideal, I have used the 1up with plastic planet bike fenders. I made sure the fender struts were nice and snug, then put a small piece of pipe insulation around the cross brace that usually snugs up around the tire. No problems in 8 hours of round trip driving. Obviously, your mileage may vary.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
.... and it has less pinchy parts that can chop your digits.
yes. the 1up has close tolerances and with the way it functions, the locking arm things are like giant scissors. to say it would lop off fingers is obviously hyperbole, but it looks to have enough leverage to do serious damage if you're operating it and your kid/dog is unsuspecting.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
3 reasons why I got the Kuat over 1-Up:

Integrated lock for the Bikes

Hitch pin (1 up doesn’t have this)

If buyin today. I’d be interested in the Quikrack. I like how small it folds up for storage.

The original 1-Up has wheel locks which for me is very important and it is easy to lock the bikes to the rack or the hitch.

It has a locking hitch bolt which I found so brilliant I have been working with a machine shop to make my boat and other hitch stuff have the same thing as the 1-Up does instead of a hitch pin.

And the original folds up pretty nicely. These are 1-Up rack stuff for 2 bikes on a NYC apartment terrace....

[IMG]
IMG_0936 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr[/IMG]

But other than that, it does not have a built in work stand. Which I haven't needed when I am in a parking lot with my bike but YMMV.

Last edited by htwoopup; 01-16-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
At least here in Southern California, I'd skip the black next time maybe unless you have a garage. Any ano is perishable. I love my 1Up but it's not really what you'd call black anymore.
I have the 1Up (2 bike version).
The quality is great. 1Up charges more for black.
I briefly regretted ordering the silver version but not now. 1) the silver tends to hide dirt and scrapes, and 2) I think it’s a little more visible back there holding precious cargo.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM

Since we've already drifted a bit OT, let me say that I've been super happy with the Saris SuperClamp for 4 bikes.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:57 PM

Has anyone bought one of the new QuikRacks? Any reviews from our esteemed members?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:41 PM

Quick racks have a 2000+ waiting list with the first batch expected by July. Go check out Mtbr.com cars and racks section - there is plenty to read about ole Cal, the original guy-
Old 09-16-2020, 06:54 AM

Bumping this thread.

I guess it's Covid that has me suddenly getting emails from a bunch of outlets that haven't emailed me in a very long time - Quik Rack being one of them.

So anyone have or use one? Feedback on this vs the 1Up?

I'm still in the market for some kind of car bike transporter.