Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Clean, you remind me of me but with bikes instead of Snare Drums. My collection got up to 10 when I took a step back and reassessed the situation. I certainly didn't need that many for the music I was playing. Of course I miss some of them now that I don't have them anymore. A few have really gone up in value based on what I see on auctions and facebook groups. I've managed to keep it at a chaotic minimum of 3 now.
hah! oh man I was like this at one point. three drum kits and around ten snares and mainly only playing solo (and don't get me started on ride cymbals). trying to justify the difference between (and thus need to own both of) titanium and stainless steel snares, or maple ply versus solid, or jarrah ply versus block, etc... and that's before you get into size differences... now I think I'm down to...five?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Imshi Cycles

Thats an impressive list for a year!

As crazy as it looks all laid out like that, it really is a great way to try out a lot of different geometries/materials/parts to see what you really like best...which will hopefully lead to a custom frame one day that is the best combination of all of those other frames that have come and gone.

My own obsessive buying and selling came directly from a desire for first hand knowledge/experience. It was never enough for me to take someone else's word for something, especially something as personal/subjective as bikes/materials/groups/etc.

If you have the time/money/space for it, by all means keep on buying and selling, cant hurt, the hunt is fun and there are far worse places to stick your money than bikes. That said, it will become a burden eventually...and the true beauty of a bike is found on the road and you can only ride one bike at a time...
Old 08-23-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
that pic is friggin' hilarious.

perspective: most of y'all realize that, if you're married, your wife has bought more clothes than you'll ever know about, brought 'em home, tried 'em on (at least 491 times), then finally changed her mind and returned 'em to store....

that process makes our 39t friend here look like he's conducting mere child's play with respect to his multiple bike nibbles.

They're supposed to take them back to the store? Mine keeps them and tries five or six on (different ones at different times), usually when we're already late for an engagement!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Was the 64cm Holland this one?

2017-08-13 07.04.53 by Kobe*, on Flickr

If so, I had no idea it was yours. You are so right about Holland's being special and the Joe Bell paint is awesome.

So far 200+ miles on it this summer and it feels like a keeper. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
Was the 64cm Holland this one?

If so, I had no idea it was yours. You are so right about Holland's being special and the Joe Bell paint is awesome.

So far 200+ miles on it this summer and it feels like a keeper. Thanks!
Congrats! I think his work is second to none. And I'd love a custom from him - either Ti, or the new Carbon Lugged one - but I'd request external cable routing on the TT - one thing I've learned is I really don't like any internal routing. I like my bikes quiet

No, it was this one for the buy-it listing: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...=holland+steel
Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Classics Fan

To get that kind of exposure to lots of bikes, it might have been cheaper to just start your own LBS
Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 PM

Wow, almost identical except for the paint color. Somehow I missed the one you bought.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
To get that kind of exposure to lots of bikes, it might have been cheaper to just start your own LBS
I've been contemplating something similar, but that's another post for another day...
Old 08-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Or build your own:

Old 08-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Holy smokes that is a crazy list!!! My wife is still giving me crap about getting 6 tires and three chains last month!! Spent a total of $170. Tires were $15 a piece! She would have lost her mind if I had even tried one or two on your list.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM

Impressive and super crazy Clean!

I just skipped a lot of that and went straight to a custom ti frame built by Rich Gangl back in 2001. http://ganglcustomcycles.com

http://http://www.bikeradar.com/us/r...-cycles-36543/

He had my fit dialed and built it up with Campagnolo Record 10 from 2001.

I've since gotten several Looks and I just picked up another Gangl...lugged steel.

You will be back to Campagnolo. It is definitely great to read about your experiences...and maybe, I'll pick up one of your 58cm frames!
Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 PM

Little did I know that buying that Sram Force 22 group from you was aiding your habit
Old 08-23-2017, 04:24 PM

First of all, props for coming clean in the den of wolves. The wolves here are a lot nicer than other forums, for sure.

Lot of bikes, but you have managed to move them along as you found whether they would work or not. I am sure you've learned a lot.

That knowledge is king, and I am a bit jealous, really. I do the same on a smaller scale, and I am contemplating what to do with the frames/bikes I would like to sell.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:20 PM
v a n i l l a

Because I am a stock size 56, this place has a cornucopia of choices to suss out my preferred fit. Plus, i got in shape and stretched and got longer and lower. The only thing I might change on a 200k bike is raising the bars a cm. all else the same 1k or 150k

Once your geo is understood, the next step is to understand the influence of material on the ride - carbon, ti/carbon, ti, stainless steel, steel, aluminum.

I cannot say material choice alone is a sufficient parameter to dictate the result; tube shape, diameter, placement, butting also play a role so impossible to draw a sweeping conclusion. The IF SSR SEC Reynolds 953 stainless I had was harsh; the Pegoretti Columbus XcR stainless i have now is plush.

now add wheels into the consideration. geo, material, wheels. plenty to chew on for next years indulgences.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Because I am a stock size 56, this place has a cornucopia of choices to suss out my preferred fit. Plus, i got in shape and stretched and got longer and lower. The only thing I might change on a 200k bike is raising the bars a cm. all else the same 1k or 150k

Once your geo is understood, the next step is to understand the influence of material on the ride - carbon, ti/carbon, ti, stainless steel, steel, aluminum.

I cannot say material choice alone is a sufficient parameter to dictate the result; tube shape, diameter, placement, butting also play a role so impossible to draw a sweeping conclusion. The IF SSR SEC Reynolds 953 stainless I had was harsh; the Pegoretti Columbus XcR stainless i have now is plush.

now add wheels into the consideration. geo, material, wheels. plenty to chew on for next years indulgences.
I like your style