Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Stupid enve wheel question

Ok I did a search and found a bit of info, but did not see the exact answer, so I am asking:

I have a set of second hand enve wheels. Each wheel came from someone else, so I bought them individually. So in my mind I have no claim to or for a warranty issue.

So with that said, can I just use any carbon brake pad I want? I would use Reynolds blue pads or swissstop Black Prince ones.

I know Enve says only to use their pads or it voids the warranty, but I have heard their pads are nightmare-ish. These are older wheels and do not have whatever fancy overpriced new brake track they come with now.

So, thoughts?

As always, thank you for any help.

D
Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Ok I did a search and found a bit of info, but did not see the exact answer, so I am asking:

I have a set of second hand enve wheels. Each wheel came from someone else, so I bought them individually. So in my mind I have no claim to or for a warranty issue.

So with that said, can I just use any carbon brake pad I want? I would use Reynolds blue pads or swissstop Black Prince ones.

I know Enve says only to use their pads or it voids the warranty, but I have heard their pads are nightmare-ish. These are older wheels and do not have whatever fancy overpriced new brake track they come with now.

So, thoughts?

D
Any carbon specific, never used on an aluminum rim, will be fine. Swisstop would be my choice.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM

i have a warranty expired carbon reynolds wheels. i used the reynolds blue pads. the braking was ok/good.
then just for fun sake i bought the swiss stop black prince, the braking is spectacular. it is better than my alloy wheelset. no kidding.

btw, i have only ridden in dry conditions.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Imshi Cycles

Highly highly recommend black prince pads, they are fantastic.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 PM

You say your wheels won't have a warranty but ENVE is the best company in the cycling industry! I bought some Enve wheels second hand and FedEx crushed them ENVE had no responsibilities for warranty work. ENVE still honored the crash replacement. If ENVE wouldn't have provided crash replacement the wheels would have been trashed i didn't have enough insurance to replace the wheels any other way. Oh and yes black prince pads are the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post

So, thoughts?

D
Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM

2nd the amazing customer service

not sure if Jake is still there, but I had a brake track crack and called--spoke to him. He didn't ask about pads (swissstop BTW) or even proof of purchase. He did ask about the current build and told me they didn't have the same spokes in stock and asked me to send BOTH wheels so they could re-lace the unaffected front wheel so my wheels would match. amazing company