Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
^ That’s actually fairly new and, like Seven, it doesn’t show the base frame + fork cost (although unlike Seven, it does provide details of the build kit, so one could theoretically back out a frame + fork price).
I see a cost for a frame/fork/headset on the far right of the picture. They have it for every model. Moots has had those price lists on their website for at least the last 2 years. I know this because that's when I started looking for used ones and wanted to know the full MSRP so I could compare.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:58 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Moots doesn’t post their prices on their website. Seven posts prices, but only of unspecified build prices (e.g., Shimano Ultegra from $x,xxx).
just go to wrench science for an approximate since Moots website (**Full bike photo may not match build kits*Frame & Fork available, call for pricing)
https://www.wrenchscience.com/road/frames/Moots/
Old 03-16-2018, 06:06 PM
coffee consumer

meh...straight gauge tubing for $3600?...save $2400 and get a Habanero...half that for a Lynskey 150.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
I see a cost for a frame/fork/headset on the far right of the picture. They have it for every model. Moots has had those price lists on their website for at least the last 2 years. I know this because that's when I started looking for used ones and wanted to know the full MSRP so I could compare.
I just double checked and, as I recalled, they don't have it for the models I've cared about. Didn't ralize they listed frameset prices for other models. No frameset price for RSL, RSL Disc, Vamoots, Vamoots DR, Routt RSL, Routt, Routt 45, etc. They have it for the Baxter and the mountain bikes but, other than my ancient 26" YBB collecting dust, I have no interest in a Moots mountain bike so I've never bothered to look at those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
just go to wrench science
Yeah, I know about WrenchScience. The criticism was that Mosaic doesn't list prices on its website, and I was simply pointing out that they are not alone. As noted, companies that sell through dealers (such as Seven, Moots, etc.) have historically not shown their prices on their websites. Iirc, there was a time when Moots policed their dealers, and prevented them from posting prices on the web (this was in the 2000's). I got my YBB through Speedgoat (remember them?), and they couldn't post prices on their website even though they were primarily a web-based retailer (they did have a brick-and-mortar shop, but I doubt many locals were buying Moots).
Old 03-16-2018, 07:58 PM

AdrenalineBikes.com for Moots pricing? They show MSRP at least.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I just double checked and, as I recalled, they don't have it for the models I've cared about. Didn't ralize they listed frameset prices for other models. No frameset price for RSL, RSL Disc, Vamoots, Vamoots DR, Routt RSL, Routt, Routt 45, etc. They have it for the Baxter and the mountain bikes but, other than my ancient 26" YBB collecting dust, I have no interest in a Moots mountain bike so I've never bothered to look.
Sorry, my bad. Moots did previously list frameset prices for their road bikes. This "call for pricing" is new this year.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
AdrenalineBikes.com for Moots pricing? They show MSRP at least.
Yes, and if you look at the prices on WrenchScience and Adrenaline, they aren't the same. For example, Adrenaline has the RSL for $5,069, and WS has it for $4,499. For the Baxter, which Moots lists a frameset price for $4,626, Adrenaline has it for the same price and WS has it for $3,839. Not sure how WS gets away with that—Moots used to be tough on dealers that discounted. I recall my LBS telling me that they couldn't discount the frames I bought from them, but could discount the built kit. In any case, Adrenaline and WS are online shops.

It seems that if the company's strategy is to sell direct, it lists prices on its website (e.g., Firefly, Eriksen, etc.). However, if the strategy is (primarily) to sell through LBSs, more often than not, it makes pricing more opaque, by not showing any prices (Mosaic), or only showing build-kit prices (Seven) or selective frame prices (Moots). IF appears to be an exception. Not sure which category No. 22 fits into, because they sell direct and have a relatively small dealer network.

Other than Moots, Seven, IF, Mosaic and No.22, what builders are there that primarily sell through dealers? I suppose there's Passoni and Legend, but I'm thinking US builders.