Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Update..for others with this gig..foot feels like crap...so...shot later today.

PLUS Lake shoes and new inserts to try to prevent it being like it is now.

As an aside..I tried icing it and it made it ACHE like mad plus it didn't really feel any better...
Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Update..for others with this gig..foot feels like crap...so...shot later today.

PLUS Lake shoes and new inserts to try to prevent it being like it is now.

As an aside..I tried icing it and it made it ACHE like mad plus it didn't really feel any better...
What kind of shot? Ask the Dr. if it can deteriorate the fat pads under your metatarsal heads, happened to me, just an FYI.
Which model Lake shoes are your wearing?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
What kind of shot? Ask the Dr. if it can deteriorate the fat pads under your metatarsal heads, happened to me, just an FYI.
Which model Lake shoes are your wearing?
He said 'steroid'..not sure which or what, never had one before but the plan is for 1 only.I'll ask about the fat pads.

Shoes low end..model CX165 for sizing and if they help..maybe a higher dig model if they do(assuming toe box size the same for higher end Lake shoes.)

Lake shoes ain't cheap.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-17-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
He said 'steroid'..not sure which or what, never had one before but the plan is for 1 only.I'll ask about the fat pads.

Shoes low end..model CX165 for sizing and if they help..maybe a higher dig model if they do(assuming toe box size the same for higher end Lake shoes.)

Lake shoes ain't cheap.
Google Steroid injection and Motron's neuroma, here is one article that discusses the possible side effects. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10340428

FYI- I purchased my CX241 wide Lakes from Bikeshoes.com, they didn't have them on thoier web site and didn't stock them, but they were more than willing to get them for me and they were shipped directly from Lake in Hong Kong to me, great customer service and great prices.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:43 PM

Feet

I have experienced a lot of foot pain- Both feet. Dating back around 5-6 years ago.
I finally had surgery (separate surgeries on each foot, one went bad- then the other)- They re-shaped my semamoid bones, removed a large cyst from each and also a neuroma.
One foot healed great, one foot needed a 2nd surgery and was always dodgy after that.
Orthotics helped a lot- I went through multiple versions to find the best solution. But it was never perfect.

Then one day I pulled out an old set of Bont shoes- decided to try them again.
They were a revelation for me- I think part fit, part stiffness.
I would describe the stiffness like being able to push with the entire foot rather than just the ball of the foot and the toes.
In terms of fit- The increased width helped, but also the bathtub shape. I feel like a flat sole with an upper stretched over the top always had a piece of upper that "pulled" at the side of my 1st metatarsal.

For you I would say ditch the Sidis- They are nice shoes but low in terms of foot support.
I would also get some custom orthotics- You are lucky, lots of good providers in your area.
I would get some insets from this guy- https://ptiorthotics.com/contact-us/
I am looking at going out to Colorado at some point to have him cast me for some insoles.

Quote:
That's mainly when I DO have it, while walking..no pain just pushing at various places on ball of foot, but walking, pushing off..genuine pain. Less when riding, but gotta stop every 30-45 minutes, 5 minutes, then foot feels pretty good then hurts again. Making me pedal goofy and resulting strange soreness..

Altho Sidis I've used have been trouble free, this issue came on rather suddenly, like overnight. I'm thinking a shoe with a wider toe box, maybe my Sidis in 'mega' style..
Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Lake shoes ain't cheap.
Got the Lake shoes today, .5 larger than Sidis and.....feel JUST like the Sidis, no roomier and strangely no longer...Sidis 45, Lake 45.5...oh well.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Wide size?

Quote:
Got the Lake shoes today, .5 larger than Sidis and.....feel JUST like the Sidis, no roomier and strangely no longer...Sidis 45, Lake 45.5...oh well.
Were the Lakes a Wide? Or regular width?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 PM

back earlier in thread I was serious about silicone pads, worth 5.00 try - not anywhere cure but may make things just bit manageable.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
Were the Lakes a Wide? Or regular width?
Regular..from what I've read and heard, I thought my toes would be swimming in these..larger and 'known for large toe box'...nein...

Foot feels better post shot...2-3 days to fully 'take effect', according to doc...we'll see.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Regular..from what I've read and heard, I thought my toes would be swimming in these..larger and 'known for large toe box'...nein...

Foot feels better post shot...2-3 days to fully 'take effect', according to doc...we'll see.
Peter, you really want your toes to be swimming.

I most cases, people fit their feet into shoes by length. While they should fit by getting the widest part of their foot to match with the widest part of their shoe. I hear people complain about heel width and slipping, but I never here them complain about their heels hurting. It’s always their toes.

I hope you understand what I’m saying. Good luck. And I hope you feel better soon
Old 08-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Peter, you really want your toes to be swimming.

I most cases, people fit their feet into shoes by length. While they should fit by getting the widest part of their foot to match with the widest part of their shoe. I hear people complain about heel width and slipping, but I never here them complain about their heels hurting. It’s always their toes.

I hope you understand what I’m saying. Good luck. And I hope you feel better soon
I do..supposedly BoulderRunning Company has some foot measuring gizmo to take a 'pic' of my foot, that goes to the Lake outside rep who recommends a size...that's next. What is surprising is the sudden-ness of the 'injury, like overnight. I think related to stubbing my number 2 and 3 toe on a vacuum cleaner in the dark..Doc not so sure. BUT same shoes for decades..don't think it's that but ***arge do I know..
Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Update

Quote:
Since this forum is way awesome!! Yup got it on RH foot, hurts like ya read about. DOC, very active, cyclist, says to see if it gets better..if it doesn’t, steroid shot... I have orthotics with a metatarsal lift but geez Louezzzz this farging thing hurts!! Gotta stop 3-4 times to let my foot ‘rest’.. feels ok then 30 minutes or so...ouch!!! It’s making me ride all goofy, new muscles hurt.
Help me obe wan you’re my only hope...
Even after shot, pain back in spades so finally went to podiatrist(gotta admit, these guys 'seem' like Chiro-quacks, but this gent OK)..even tho radiologist didn't see it, small crack at bone at base of toe..NOT Morton's Nueroma..wrong place plus 'possible' rupture of the connection and pad between the bones at base of second toe..wrap, new shoes, exercises and re-look in 6 weeks..if no reduction in pain, possible surgery to repair/reinforce bone..yippee..
Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Even after shot, pain back in spades so finally went to podiatrist(gotta admit, these guys 'seem' like Chiro-quacks, but this gent OK)..even tho radiologist didn't see it, small crack at bone at base of toe..NOT Morton's Nueroma..wrong place plus 'possible' rupture of the connection and pad between the bones at base of second toe..wrap, new shoes, exercises and re-look in 6 weeks..if no reduction in pain, possible surgery to repair/reinforce bone..yippee..
Sounds like "I've got some good news and some bad news"! Well, at least you have a plan, and given the season you're heading into, it won't be as hard to take as the summer. Good luck and keep us apprised!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:32 PM
Randomhead

no wonder it hurt. Hope it heals up soon.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Yeah for you?!? Glad to hear a decent diagnosis and I'm not sure this won't be better post surgery and healed up. I mean maybe it can be fixed and done rather than recurring like Morton's.