Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Altho this is a PIT...Foot, $1000 cycling shoes isn't in the plan..yet...
Especially with no guarantee the mega $ shoes will help.

Tim
Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Especially with no guarantee the mega $ shoes will help.

Tim
yeah, I wouldn't invest in anything shoe wise until there is some relief from either orthotics or inserts. I suffered with this for about 6months bad before things eased up.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
yeah, I wouldn't invest in anything shoe wise until there is some relief from either orthotics or inserts. I suffered with this for about 6months bad before things eased up.
Considering my present inserts with Metarsal lift is about 3 years old(yikes!!), I just ordered some new ones...
Old 08-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
That's mainly when I DO have it, while walking..no pain just pushing at various places on ball of foot, but walking, pushing off..genuine pain. Less when riding, but gotta stop every 30-45 minutes, 5 minutes, then foot feels pretty good then hurts again. Making me pedal goofy and resulting strange soreness..

Altho Sidis I've used have been trouble free, this issue came on rather suddenly, like overnight. I'm thinking a shoe with a wider toe box, maybe my Sidis in 'mega' style..
As a cheap test you might try getting some big platform pedals like "Grip Kings" and ride wearing your most comfy regular footwear. There is a chance that your feet won't know they are pressing on pedals or pavement. I had really bad (is there any "good"?) plantar fasciitis and my doc suggested that for that kind of inflammation we should try to stop the source of irritation until the pain went away. My treatment ended up with cortisone shots but various steps along the way like orthotics, icing, etc. each helped so we knew we were on the right track. For my situation I could get pain-free for walking/standing but getting back on the tennis court undid all the gains. Since I was loathe to give up tennis we finally tried the cortisone shots with great success and I was permanently cured. I DID take much greater care choosing shoes to avoid a recurrence.

You already own some comfortable walking shoes so this experiment can't cost you more than $50 and when you stop for coffee you won't be clanking around in cycling shoes. :-)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Randomhead

My experience doesn't sound anywhere near as bad, but I don't really think that pedals have anything to do with it. Unless oldpotatoe has been wearing the Sidi potato skin sole model.

The first thing to do is get wider shoes, probably the next size up. I always got shoes that were snug thinking it helps performance. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. My feet wallow in my winter shoes and that really doesn't slow me down at all.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM

Wide shoes

Quote:
That's mainly when I DO have it, while walking..no pain just pushing at various places on ball of foot, but walking, pushing off..genuine pain. Less when riding, but gotta stop every 30-45 minutes, 5 minutes, then foot feels pretty good then hurts again. Making me pedal goofy and resulting strange soreness..

Altho Sidis I've used have been trouble free, this issue came on rather suddenly, like overnight. I'm thinking a shoe with a wider toe box, maybe my Sidis in 'mega' style..
I’ve had my MN in my left foot for about 10 years now. I have custom cycling orthotics and custom everyday orthotics. The metatarsal pad really helps if properly placed. I had shots which resulted in causing problems with the fat pad under the metatarsal heads, I no longer have fat pads so the metatarsal heads have no protection, can no longer run or walk barefoot on a hard surface, only the beach. STAY AWAY FROM SHOTS!
I recently purchased a pair of Lake CX241 wide shoes, they are wonderful! Great adjustment so no side or top pressure at all. I live with the discomfort, sometimes bad and other times not so bad. Having had chemotherapy one and a half years ago didn’t help things, now I have discomfort where I hadn’t previously. Good luck, if you find a helpful solution please let us know.
Forgot to add, my custom cycling orthotics have high arches and I think this really helps, I also place my cleats as far back as possible, the little things all make a difference.

quattro

Last edited by quattro; 08-13-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know why people are so anti-shots. I had this condition in one foot about 9 yrs ago, podiatrist recommended the shots, one every 3 weeks for a total of 3, and after shot #3 I never felt pain or numbness or the little "pea" or stone under the ball of my foot again. They worked exactly as promised. I guess others have had problems with them, but I did not.
Reading the post right above mine, I guess I still have the fat pads the poster above is lacking, so the shots worked for me.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:18 PM
commuter racer

My D2 shoes really helped... arch support was the key in my case. I also Ice my feet after riding sometime. Good luck, nerve pain is horrible.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 AM

I had three alcohol shots and all was well. The doctor decided a fourth would be even better. It made things a lot worse. He then gave me a steroid shot. I found a new doctor who said he only does steroid shots, not alcohol shots. Not sure why. But, no more shots in last ten months. I have most of my issues with walking/hiking. Only problems I have had cycling was during a cross state tour when it was very hot. I switched to cycling sandals the rest of the trip and they worked fine. My first insoles were from a running store. I still like to use them, especially in sneakers and hiking shoes with softer sole. I also have custom insoles that work with most of my shoes, but they are carbon and are a bit stiff in softer sole shoes. I have a very high instep so I need that correction as well as the metatarsal support. In summer, I wear Teva sandals almost all the time. I'm retired and in a warm climate so I can make it work. They feel great!!! Much room for toes to stretch. I may look for some wider shoes in the future, but I have a narrow heel??? Go luck. I know that pain well.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
I had three alcohol shots and all was well. The doctor decided a fourth would be even better. It made things a lot worse. He then gave me a steroid shot. I found a new doctor who said he only does steroid shots, not alcohol shots. Not sure why. But, no more shots in last ten months. I have most of my issues with walking/hiking. Only problems I have had cycling was during a cross state tour when it was very hot. I switched to cycling sandals the rest of the trip and they worked fine. My first insoles were from a running store. I still like to use them, especially in sneakers and hiking shoes with softer sole. I also have custom insoles that work with most of my shoes, but they are carbon and are a bit stiff in softer sole shoes. I have a very high instep so I need that correction as well as the metatarsal support. In summer, I wear Teva sandals almost all the time. I'm retired and in a warm climate so I can make it work. They feel great!!! Much room for toes to stretch. I may look for some wider shoes in the future, but I have a narrow heel??? Go luck. I know that pain well.
Thanks, with new inserts(with metatarsal lift) and some Lake shoes..hopefully no shot but we’ll see.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
I had three alcohol shots and all was well. The doctor decided a fourth would be even better.
I've never done alcohol shots off my feet. Body shots off a girl once, but not their feet ;~)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
How are Giro shoes..toe box wise??
I really wanted to like the Giros, but tried them on as well as Shimano Spyre wides -- both still not enough. Went with Lake Cx237s in a normal width and they are really good. And they even make a wide! Good review by a pro here.

RKP review here.

Pretty comprehensive sizing chart here.

Good luck with your search, Peter!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, with new inserts(with metatarsal lift) and some Lake shoes..hopefully no shot but we’ll see.
Don't forget to get a TUE if you get a corticosteroid shot

Just kidding. I have nothing to add apart from best wishes for managing the symptoms successfully.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Don't forget to get a TUE if you get a corticosteroid shot

Just kidding. I have nothing to add apart from best wishes for managing the symptoms successfully.
Ha...thanks, we'll see..it didn't help that I walked into a end table in the hall last night in the dark(having some duct work done, crap everywhere)..TWICE..on the same 2 toes...slow learner...
Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I'll also add that the lake shoes seem to run wider in the toe box. Shimano mountain style shoes tend to as well.

Wide shoes/boots and the metatarsal pad corrected most of it for me.

I still get some issues if I wear a certain pair of very expensive dress shoes for more than 8 hours, but I just limit that as much as possible.