Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM

I had a Guru fit that felt great on the trainer and horrid on the road. Perhaps the fitter hard a hard time replicating the same measurements on my bike.

Some of the issues I had after my "fitting"

Saddle set too far back, stem too short, saddle too high, new cleat position causing knee pain...pretty much everything.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 PM

.. sharing my experience

riding on a trainer and on the road is different. it is normal to adjust a bit after fitting on a trainer .. especially stem length.

that is why in my opinion, it is very very important for a fitter to educate rider on what's going on and teach the rider what to feel. because the lasers and camera are not available when we are out riding on the road.

if we know what to feel, then even if our equipment changed, we still know how to adjust accordingly.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:53 PM

I've had 2 fittings and I don't think I'll ever shell out a penny for one again.

the 1st was a retul fit and the fitter was "all that".

Shortened my stem, the reach on my bars, back to a setback post (from a non sb post) and it did nothing for me. Also failed to address many of my concerns/issues and told me my frame was too big but we could make it work.

When I went back for a follow-up I could tell he was trying to get me in and out as quickly as possible. Fortunately, I didn't buy any of the parts from that shop.

Eventually I switched to a smaller frameset and went to a different fitter. He did a much better job, but diagnosed me as having a leg length discrepancy.
There was one, but it was functional, not structural. A year later with no improvement my orthopedist ordered an MRI and found a bulge at L4/L5 on the far right.

It was in PT that I learned about the leg length thing and how to keep my legs level. I was also fortunate the therapist was really, really good and worked with me to get my body where it needed to be. 3 years later and I ride with zero pain (and stretch and do core exercises every day).

BUT - I now ride 2 main bikes -one a small and one a medium. I'm better off with a medium frame (54-55 cm ETT), zero setback and 90 mm stem and shorter reach bars than a small frame. Now I know.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I've had 2 fittings and I don't think I'll ever shell out a penny for one again.

the 1st was a retul fit and the fitter was "all that".

Shortened my stem, the reach on my bars, back to a setback post (from a non sb post) and it did nothing for me. Also failed to address many of my concerns/issues and told me my frame was too big but we could make it work.

When I went back for a follow-up I could tell he was trying to get me in and out as quickly as possible. Fortunately, I didn't buy any of the parts from that shop.

Eventually I switched to a smaller frameset and went to a different fitter. He did a much better job, but diagnosed me as having a leg length discrepancy.
There was one, but it was functional, not structural. A year later with no improvement my orthopedist ordered an MRI and found a bulge at L4/L5 on the far right.

It was in PT that I learned about the leg length thing and how to keep my legs level. I was also fortunate the therapist was really, really good and worked with me to get my body where it needed to be. 3 years later and I ride with zero pain (and stretch and do core exercises every day).

BUT - I now ride 2 main bikes -one a small and one a medium. I'm better off with a medium frame (54-55 cm ETT), zero setback and 90 mm stem and shorter reach bars than a small frame. Now I know.

So, you're blaming the fitter for not knowing you had a bulging disc and for confirming you were on too big of a bike?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:25 PM

IMO people put way too much weight in the fitter like if it was a holy grail and sometimes it needs to be listen just as a guide because is not the same being in a shop trainer with a bunch of tools than being riding for real in the road.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 07-21-2018 at 05:30 PM.