Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2018, 12:37 PM

No idea what caused it exactly (other than something sharp, of course!), I was just descending and all of a sudden..."psssshhhhh" with a bunch of Stan's oozing out the sidewall. The cut spanned from the edge of the sidewall onto the tread. Were it not for having the emergency boot, I would have been SOL.

It was a 700x38c brownwall. On my "other" gravel rig, which is a 650b, I am running the 650bx48mm SKs.

They are awesome tires IMO, just happened to have bad luck at a bad time...but, I survived to tell the tale!
Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post

Along the way I saw Angry Scientist and recognized one other bike from this site. It was a great day of riding despite even the nasty weather. Can't wait til next year.
ahh hah. i was having a hard time as i was climbing, close to redline remembering the screen name! nice to see you and thanks for hollering!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
I have been on vacation since D2 and hence away from the computer.

I started the 180k at just after 6AM. Things were going great until about 7mi in, on the first prolonged gravel descent, I cut about a 1/3" slash in my front Gravel King SK sidewall. Almost new tires, <100mi on them!!

Luckily I had an emergency Park Tool boot! Slapped that thing in, put in a tube...but it was a bad tube. Valve would not hold air. Luckily, I had 2 tubes. The second one worked, but there I was with 100+ miles to go and no backups.

Fortunately I made it to lunch and the mechanic sold me 2 tubes. As it turned out, no more flats for the day anyway. I finished the 180k but man was that hard.

Along the way I saw Angry Scientist and recognized one other bike from this site. It was a great day of riding despite even the nasty weather. Can't wait til next year.
I think I might have passed you only to blow my own rear tire 5 miles further down the road. It's a crappy way to start, for sure. Glad you recovered and made it!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
I think I might have passed you only to blow my own rear tire 5 miles further down the road. It's a crappy way to start, for sure. Glad you recovered and made it!
wait - what bike were you on?

i may have been the guy to pass and ask if you were OK?
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 PM

Red Salsa Cutthroat.

Thank you!