Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2023, 01:17 AM

Agreed. Bruno G should have been sent off. Havertz should have been sent off, too. Would have changed the game with Newcastle down to ten men much earlier, though.

I thought the push to the back was enough to be deemed a foul, but agree that I’ve seen it not called.

To be honest, I thought the goal looked onsides.

My biggest take away from the game was I don’t think Arsenal created enough to win it. They didn’t create a lot of chances, period. Also, neither of their strikers is good enough for what they aspire to(I know Jesus is out for a bit). It’s to the point that I think it’s actually Liverpool who’s most capable of challenging City for the Prem this season unless they upgrade massively at the top of the formation.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumablk View Post
It’s to the point that I think it’s actually Liverpool who’s most capable of challenging City for the Prem this season unless they upgrade massively at the top of the formation.
Or perhaps not. It's been a very strange season. A lot of teams have bunched at the top. City still seem like the class of the league, particularly given they get De Bruyne back early in the new year. But I wouldn't bet on it. The only thing I would bet on is Spurs finishing no higher than third and possibly as low as seventh.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:53 PM

Go Bees!
That is all.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:01 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Oh for f*** sake, Dortmund is no better than a third division team...

This is almost as bad as some fans choosing to follow the Spurs.

Perhaps Xabi Alonso could finally topple with former team?
German media having a good laugh about the only thing being "classic" in that media-hyped "german clasico" is that BVB gets the usual classic beating

Still a bit of a surprisingly clear win after the lacklustre effort against Saarbrücken. Both Goretzka and Upamecano had to play half fit and did marvellous jobs. Tuchel got one back on the two "TV Experts" Hamann and Matthäus who shoot their mouths about what is wrong with Tuchel and the team on a daily basis, may have been a tad bit unstatesmanlike, but boy that mut have felt good
Old 11-06-2023, 07:27 AM

You are right on BvB v BM, of course. Marketing gimmick that sought to mimic the name used in Spain and Argentina, except BvB hasn’t been consistently good enough to be even deemed equal-ish.

I started watching footie in 2015, and i think i recall only one draw in München since. No wins against BM in the league at BM for probably a decade, though i do recall a cup win at BM. And i think only one win at home against BM in 2018, and no wins since.

Surely Gladbach puts in a more valiant effort year after year in the Heynckes Derby.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:57 PM

At this point I'd just like to watch a Der Klassiker that's competitive, I love that kind of match, El Classico for example, it's not the same if they become one sided. BVB and Schalke used to be really good too.

In the end, as a neutral I was fine with the Newcastle Arsenal outcome. They let both teams play all through the match and didn't call much of anything on physical play. BG could have been sent off, but he wasn't the only one playing on the edge. On the goal I don't think any of the officials have any idea still today if the ball was actually out or in, if it was onside or not and I don't think you can hang your hat on getting that foul called. The keeper went for that cross and didn't get there, at that point the entire play was behind them, that doesn't tend to work out, and neither does one shot on target.

Newcastle and Arsenal are both pretty good to follow to me, even if they're not my teams.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
At this point I'd just like to watch a Der Klassiker that's competitive, I love that kind of match, El Classico for example, it's not the same if they become one sided. BVB and Schalke used to be really good too.

In the end, as a neutral I was fine with the Newcastle Arsenal outcome. They let both teams play all through the match and didn't call much of anything on physical play. BG could have been sent off, but he wasn't the only one playing on the edge. On the goal I don't think any of the officials have any idea still today if the ball was actually out or in, if it was onside or not and I don't think you can hang your hat on getting that foul called. The keeper went for that cross and didn't get there, at that point the entire play was behind them, that doesn't tend to work out, and neither does one shot on target.

Newcastle and Arsenal are both pretty good to follow to me, even if they're not my teams.
Schalke, despite having been relegated, acquitted themselves well in the Riviere Derby last year. One of the many draws that ultimately ended BVB’s title challenge.

As for Spurs game this afternoon. Holy s***, didn’t expect it. I always thought Spurs were over-performing and might revert to the mean. Didn’t realize the team would shoot itself in the foot and then lose two more players to injury…
Old 12-02-2023, 03:54 PM

Euro 2024 finals draw:
GROUP A: Germany (hosts), Scotland, Hungary, Switzerland.

GROUP B: Spain, Croatia, Italy, Albania.

GROUP C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England.

GROUP D: Play-off winner A, (Poland/Wales/Finland/Estonia), Netherlands, Austria, France.

GROUP E: Belgium, Slovakia, Romania, Play-off winner B (Israel/Bosnia/Ukraine/Iceland).

GROUP F: Turkey, Play-off winner C (Georgia/Greece/Kazakhstan/Luxembourg), Portugal, Czech Republic.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Euro 2024 finals draw:

GROUP D: Play-off winner A, (Poland/Wales/Finland/Estonia), Netherlands, Austria, France.

GROUP E: Belgium, Slovakia, Romania, Play-off winner B (Israel/Bosnia/Ukraine/Iceland).

GROUP F: Turkey, Play-off winner C (Georgia/Greece/Kazakhstan/Luxembourg), Portugal, Czech Republic.
There's a good chance that Germany finishes third in that group.

None of the groups really feel like a Group of Death. Croatia isn't quite what it used to be.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
there's a good chance that germany finishes fourth in that group.
fify
Old 12-03-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
fify
Yikes, that's almost Tottenham/ BVB 09 level of self-doubt.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Euro 2024 finals draw:

Groups E & F seem like the opposite of the group of death.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:51 PM

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

Villa leads City, with a helter skelter quarter hour remaining.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:54 AM

For the first time in history - Santos relegated!!!!
Old 12-07-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

Villa leads City, with a helter skelter quarter hour remaining.
Villa dominated that match beyond anything I thought people thought could be done to City.