Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Where is the next NAHBS going to be?
I've spoken to Don a bunch over the last year about this and Covid in general. There are a few different locations being looked at. It all comes down to dates and size. I will say the Chicago location is still in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
That's the bulk of the floor space, at least for the last NAHBS I went to. Enormous Shimano booth. Big Chris King booth.

It ain't like the one person builders are front and center.
Shimano, Campy, SRAM, all the larger sponsor brands are usually a 20x20 or 20x30. So not crazy huge compared to say an INterbike booth- usually 40x40 or larger. Chris King usually has a 10x20 or 10x30. So nothing huge there.

The last part of your comment, it's really up to the builder where they want to go. They can see the spaces/map and who's where when they pick their booth. All the booth prices are the same- corners and islands more of course. But it's not like a 10x10 on the front near Campy is more than in the back by the rest rooms. Many times they pick a booth because they want to be near certain people, friends they have or near a booth that has their bikes in it, like loaning bikes to Shimano or SRAM or something.

I've been next to Black Sheep, Royal H and many other single owner builders over the years. All great people and we've had fun at the shows and great talks. I think it really comes down to where people want to be more than anything. I know it is when I pick a location.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:27 AM

No choice besides Florida and South Dakota.

I vote for Rapid City.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 AM

I vote for Fayetteville AR alongside World Cup cross event either in October or January. Twofer!!
Old 02-24-2021, 11:16 AM

I'd go if in Chicago because I live here but I'd never travel to it again. I went to Louisville and well I've mentioned before but I was underwhelmed.

I think Don or whoever could make a point of positioning the big players around the edges and not in the middle creating a labyrinth that is just a huge PITA. Or just limit the size of the booth. SRAM and Conti had a show and they let some little people join them. No thanks.

They also need to create a reason besides looking at shiny stuff and find some way to add more value to the experience. I don't know what that looks like but after and hour or so of walking around a trade show I'm bored out of my gord.

Maybe they can get Sonic Youth to play a show

Anyway.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I vote for Fayetteville AR alongside World Cup cross event either in October or January. Twofer!!
Something like this would be wary smart.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:12 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
That's too bad. I could see it being complicated with overseas participants. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to put together a virtual NAHBS though.
I've created presentation for a few "virtual" shows. It's MUCH harder to do the leg work to do well than having all of the participants attend and put together their own presentations... Paying for all that when there's undefined exposure/benefit and no way to properly judge pictures...

It's substantially harder than you think.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
If you're trying to build a sustainable brand, immediately placing yourself as second fiddle to another, more popular event happening in town is not the way to do it. You want to be the destination event.

But if you've got an structural issue and want a short-term attendance sugar high though, yeah, one way to do it.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If you're trying to build a sustainable brand, immediately placing yourself as second fiddle to another, more popular event happening in town is not the way to do it. You want to be the destination event.

But if you've got an structural issue and want a short-term attendance sugar high though, yeah, one way to do it.
Totally valid point I just don't know how they keep it "viable" as a builders show given the number of builders and the market for bikes. Having larger vendors is the obvious choice I just wonder how much value they add vs some other event such as a race or film festival or who knows what. Traveling bike collection that lives at the host city until the next city gets it a year later?
Old 02-24-2021, 07:51 PM

i've no desire to support don walker's traveling circus after 1) seeing what a well-run, inclusive and happy place Philly Bike is and 2) seeing his racist behavior on the interwebs. i'll leave the hearsay and conjecture out.

don't know why any industry or builder folk would continue to patronize nahbs and give it money. let the dinosaurs go extinct so this niche can keep living.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Totally valid point I just don't know how they keep it "viable" as a builders show given the number of builders and the market for bikes. Having larger vendors is the obvious choice I just wonder how much value they add vs some other event such as a race or film festival or who knows what. Traveling bike collection that lives at the host city until the next city gets it a year later?
At one point, there was talk about adding 'Legacy brands' like Bianchi, Pinarello, Colnago and others that don't make all of their own bikes now but still offer something built by them. Say a Reparto Corse frame or C-64. This kinds of things. There have been many other brands who've displayed not made-in-house bikes. Some were even added to the awards categories. I think one did win one year. I'd have to look. But it's happened many times before where not in-house frames/bikes were on the floor.

I personally think adding legacy brands would be great for the show.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
At one point, there was talk about adding 'Legacy brands' like Bianchi, Pinarello, Colnago and others that don't make all of their own bikes now but still offer something built by them. Say a Reparto Corse frame or C-64. This kinds of things. There have been many other brands who've displayed not made-in-house bikes. Some were even added to the awards categories. I think one did win one year. I'd have to look. But it's happened many times before where not in-house frames/bikes were on the floor.

I personally think adding legacy brands would be great for the show.
Not a terrible idea. Limit the number of bikes they can bring. It's an enthusiast bike show bring the cool stuff and build a show bike or two just like anybody else. I hate to say it but the name might need to be re-worked.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
people are sick and tired of virtual anything.

we all sit in front of our computers 10 hours a day anyway, nothing virtual is fun or interesting anymore.

i think if anything, this will drive interest in NAHBS and other in-person events up. i think once we can drop the social distancing and general covid fear, people will be very eager to go to events of all sorts. lot of pent up anticipation. looks like all of '21 is going to be a transition year. '22 should be a roaring party i think.
I agree..coming out of this, late 2021..into summer of 2022, I think the US and the world in general, will come roaring back..
Quote:
Yeah, right. Great business model. Do nothing and that will build demand. Actually, successful businesses adapt to the landscape and grow. Sorry if it disturbs you.
Will the post COVID world be just like the previous one? Of course not but anybody that bases any future business decision on 2020 is being foolhardy.
2020 is unique. Some business' had no other choice but 'do nothing'. Some have adapted well to a COVID world but that will end too...
Lots of things to 'disturb' anybody..predicting the future, while surviving the past, isn't one of them.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-25-2021 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:36 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
i've no desire to support don walker's traveling circus after 1) seeing what a well-run, inclusive and happy place Philly Bike is and 2) seeing his racist behavior on the interwebs. i'll leave the hearsay and conjecture out.

don't know why any industry or builder folk would continue to patronize nahbs and give it money. let the dinosaurs go extinct so this niche can keep living.
Don's racist? Never seen that and I've known him for years.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

This is a pretty serious allegation. Some people (myself included) would not want to support someone who espouses racist viewpoints. Racism is distinct from being a “garden variety” conservative, for example.

Having made such a serious allegation, and one that perhaps might affect his business, it’s incumbent on you to substantiate those claims. I don’t think terms like that should be used haphazardly.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 02-25-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Don's racist? Never seen that and I've known him for years.
He was a big fan of calling COVID the China virus on social media to the point CyclingTips' James Huang called him on it.

Unless someone has screenshots I believe it's since been deleted.

I would think it bad business to say the kind of stuff that pisses off arguably the leading product review editor in the industry. But what do I know?
Closed Thread