Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 10:38 PM
Vendor

NAHBS 2021 pushed to 2022

Just announced officially. NAHBS 2021 postponed till 2022. I get it. Bummed of course but I get it. Better that it's postponed than gone for good or anyone gets sick from attending.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLpylK5..._web_copy_link
Old 02-24-2021, 06:52 AM

That's too bad. I could see it being complicated with overseas participants. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to put together a virtual NAHBS though.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 AM

I get it too. I’ve only been to NAHBS once, and it was super cool. So much craftsmanship in one location. I’m not sure you can capture that with a virtual session. I’ll try to make the trip in ‘22 though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to put together a virtual NAHBS though.
people are sick and tired of virtual anything.

we all sit in front of our computers 10 hours a day anyway, nothing virtual is fun or interesting anymore.

i think if anything, this will drive interest in NAHBS and other in-person events up. i think once we can drop the social distancing and general covid fear, people will be very eager to go to events of all sorts. lot of pent up anticipation. looks like all of '21 is going to be a transition year. '22 should be a roaring party i think.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:37 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post

we all sit in front of our computers 10 hours a day anyway, nothing virtual is fun or interesting anymore.

i think if anything, this will drive interest in NAHBS and other in-person events up. i think once we can drop the social distancing and general covid fear, people will be very eager to go to events of all sorts. lot of pent up anticipation. looks like all of '21 is going to be a transition year. '22 should be a roaring party i think.
Agreed on all of that. I think 2022 is gonna be huge for everything. I think You'll see skyrocketing ticket costs for things like sporting events unfortunately. Everyone wanting to get out will be great though.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Yeah, right. Great business model. Do nothing and that will build demand. Actually, successful businesses adapt to the landscape and grow. Sorry if it disturbs you.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:50 AM

Wet blanket
Old 02-24-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry if it disturbs you.
ha, no not disturbing at all. just thinking out loud.

i just think, from my perspective that the interest in doing anything virtually these days is fading. in early 2020 it was novel and interesting to do zoom birthday parties, happy hours and trade shows, etc. by the end of '20 and pushing into '21 - i personally have very little interest to sit in front of my computer monitor and watch anything happen.

the joy of cycling is in riding the bikes, touching the metal, talking face to face with the builder and other bike nerds. that's just all lost through the internet.

IMO of course.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:24 AM

A tough call but the right thing to do.

I look forward to hearing where 2022 will be.

dave
Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 AM

Amen! The virtual NAHBS is called Instagram...

Quote:

Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 AM

Where is the next NAHBS going to be?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Where is the next NAHBS going to be?
Apparently still top secret.

I know the Philly Bike Expo will be in Philadelphia.
Maybe. Or maybe not?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
ha, no not disturbing at all. just thinking out loud.

i just think, from my perspective that the interest in doing anything virtually these days is fading. in early 2020 it was novel and interesting to do zoom birthday parties, happy hours and trade shows, etc. by the end of '20 and pushing into '21 - i personally have very little interest to sit in front of my computer monitor and watch anything happen.

the joy of cycling is in riding the bikes, touching the metal, talking face to face with the builder and other bike nerds. that's just all lost through the internet.

IMO of course.
Enve and Chris King have each done virtual frame builder's exhibitions, but those are companies trying to advertise and showcase specific products. It's hard to see how the NAHBS business model would translate into a virtual environment.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Enve and Chris King have each done virtual frame builder's exhibitions, but those are companies trying to advertise and showcase specific products. It's hard to see how the NAHBS business model would translate into a virtual environment.
That's the bulk of the floor space, at least for the last NAHBS I went to. Enormous Shimano booth. Big Chris King booth.

It ain't like the one person builders are front and center.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, right. Great business model. Do nothing and that will build demand. Actually, successful businesses adapt to the landscape and grow. Sorry if it disturbs you.
ENVE did a nice virtual handbuilt bike show last year, iirc. Users toured the building, viewing the bikes, looking for hidden prizes, observing production, QC, even restrooms, and the rest.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the experience and even learned from it.
Closed Thread