Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbjor View Post
With the cycling community in AZ it’s hard to believe that we can’t get one built.
Same for around the republic. Not counting the Olympic one in Colorado Springs..that really isn't set up to be a 'spectator' type VD.
There have been 'about 6 or so attempts at a Velodrome around here..all have been quashed either by NIMBY people(in spite of a mega church across the street, in one proposal) or the county brainiacs(commissioners) ....

All have had big $, the one on South Boulder road..land was donated, it was to be a velodrome and cancer research center..some funding from the LA foundation(here we go!)..but some lady across the street at a public meeting whined(yup, megachurch's are OK for traffic, but not a Velodrome)...

The one in Erie is for sale and essentially not used.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:57 AM

Unfortunately, many people who have never been to a velodrome consider track racing a male, elitist sport. Here's a comment on the Bike Portland article:

https://bikeportland.org/2021/02/23/...omment-7384618

Quote:
Emily

End of an era, but lets remember, the Velodrome represented an elitist white male sport of cycling that is not representative of who rides bicycles anymore. So I’m personally not sad to see it go.

Lets instead look forward to cycling infrastructure projects like Gateway Greene bike park that encourages all riders to use it: White and non-white, skilled and un-skilled riders, men and women, adults and children.

Projects like GG represents the future of cycling that is more inclusive.
Here in NYC, we have a program at Kissena called Star Track (http://www.startrackcycling.org/), which has taught thousands of urban youth the fundamentals of track racing. And there are plenty of women and people of color at Kissena.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
That's a shame. Outside of the cost of land, does anyone have any idea what it would cost to build a new velodrome?
Having done this along time ago (in Canada), here are the basic requirements for an outside track:

1000 sheets of 2 sided good marine plywood @$60/sheet= $60,000
300 roof trusses @ $250/truss= $75,000
9000-10000 cubic metres of gravel fill/plus site prep = $50,000 - this is variable depending on the site - we had to use much more gravel due to ground water issues.
Design fee = $20,000

Permits =?
Labour = ?

Probably looking at $225-250k USD

The one I helped do cost about $120K CAD, 20 years ago, and we were able to use a significant number of government training and employment programs to offset labour and materials as well as site prep.

As nice as it is, the Milton one is not a good example, it is the Cadillac of the tracks in North America. It is full UCI homolgamated track, includes other recreation facilities in the building, office spaces, running track, seating etc. It is a really nice facility, I miss my weekly sessions there. The funding model they used was distinct to Ontario as well.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Unfortunately, many people who have never been to a velodrome consider track racing a male, elitist sport. Here's a comment on the Bike Portland article:

Here in NYC, we have a program at Kissena called Star Track (http://www.startrackcycling.org/), which has taught thousands of urban youth the fundamentals of track racing. And there are plenty of women and people of color at Kissena.

We have many idiots in Portland and the comments section of Bike Portland is a magnet for them.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4_Ford View Post
We have many idiots in Portland and the comments section of Bike Portland is a magnet for them.
So true.

Track racing is the most egalitarian form of cycling competition there is..
Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Someone responded to Emily's comment with a link to this inspiring article: https://bikeportland.org/2021/01/29/...ortland-325370.

Quote:
What’s your bike story?

Back in 2011, I first heard about Major Taylor when I rode in the cycling classes at the Boys and Girls Club. There I was selected, and started riding with a team. They trained me to ride in a pack and be fast.

By my freshman year [in high school] I started training on the track at Alpenrose [velodrome]. After practicing mass start races, and entering some beginner-level timed pursuits, I became strong enough to hold my own in bigger OBRA [Oregon Bicycle Racing Association] races. I worked hard and won the OBRA 15-16 Jr. Championship in the 2K Time Trial at Alpenrose. During that period from 2016-2018 I improved my top speed by nearly double. Tuesday Night promoter Tom Orth was so impressed with me, he gave me a job working the infield set-up at the track on Tuesday Nights...
Old 02-24-2021, 12:24 PM

I had my most spectacular cyclocross crash during a Blind Date race. I wound up helicoptering while still clipped in right in front of a bunch of spectators. Nothing damaged and I wound up finishing the race other than DFL, which I considered a victory. Needless to say, the heckling I got for the rest of the race was intense.

As has been stated, the closing of Alpenrose has been a few years coming, but it's still a damn shame.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
I only rode the velodrome there twice. But I played lots of little league games on their field, and fondly remember Dairyville. Had several visits with Santa and Easter egg hunts there. And what the article only hints at is that there were never any charges for the use of their facilities - no charge to race, no charge to the little league teams, no charge to the general public to attend any of the events held there.

They also delivered our milk to our doorstep.
My brothers and I played Little League there in the 60's, and I remember sitting at the Velodrome watching fireworks on the Fourth of July.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:27 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:

Tell me about it. The number of idiots here, with their uniformed spoutings, is astounding.

Emily’s post was just classic PDX hipster dip**** shtick.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:34 PM
Ride to eat.

velodromes

I've only been to 2 an rode on one.

Got to ride on Major Taylor in Indy,In at a Night Ride by ciba.

concrete seemed steep and tight.

Then in 2015 The PBP sign in in the center of https://www.bouygues-construction.co...-saint-quentin

Absolutely stunning. If there wasn't guards I' have loved to rid on that one.
looking down from the stands it looked like 75 degrees and 30 feet tall.

Wish we had one in Kentucky. There are talks every couple of years it seems but no action.

Sorry you guys lost yours. Its a shame.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Having done this along time ago (in Canada), here are the basic requirements for an outside track:

1000 sheets of 2 sided good marine plywood @$60/sheet= $60,000
300 roof trusses @ $250/truss= $75,000
9000-10000 cubic metres of gravel fill/plus site prep = $50,000 - this is variable depending on the site - we had to use much more gravel due to ground water issues.
Design fee = $20,000

Permits =?
Labour = ?

Probably looking at $225-250k USD

The one I helped do cost about $120K CAD, 20 years ago, and we were able to use a significant number of government training and employment programs to offset labour and materials as well as site prep.

As nice as it is, the Milton one is not a good example, it is the Cadillac of the tracks in North America. It is full UCI homolgamated track, includes other recreation facilities in the building, office spaces, running track, seating etc. It is a really nice facility, I miss my weekly sessions there. The funding model they used was distinct to Ontario as well.

This is quite interesting. Do you have any photos of how it turned out?
Old 02-24-2021, 02:12 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6day_rider View Post
I'm some guy who has a Mondonico track bike and was an instructor there. Weird.
Now that's cool...
Old 02-24-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This is quite interesting. Do you have any photos of how it turned out?
Don't want to hijack this thread too much.

It was the Dieppe Velodrome that had to be torn down 2 years ago after nearly 17 years. From that track the province got Christian Meier and Catherine Pendrel.

I messed up a few stats, it is actually only 840 sheets of plywood and 340 trusses.

Here are a few links to pics.
https://www.junekvelodromes.com/canada
https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/..._New_Brunswick

A video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM0hr6jUkV4

And an article
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...osed-1.4673379
Old 02-25-2021, 10:19 AM
bourbon!

Always a sad day when another velodrome closes.

The Superdrome here in DFW closed 4 or 5 years ago because the community college campus it sat on needed a few more parking spaces. I really enjoyed riding on it. It was also the site of my worst cycling crash!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post

One of the great things about Alpenrose was the youth and junior programs run by Phil Sanders. Many many outstanding racers went through Phil's programs including numerous state and national champions and at least one world champion. The loss of the velodrome is a huge blow to the Portland cycling community.