Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 03:57 PM

Hover bar info help

Hover bars by Specialized were mentioned in another thread. Could someone answer a few basic questions about them?

Looking at alloy ones, there seem to be two versions, a straight one and one with flared drops. How are these measured? Straight ones c-c or o-o? Flared ones - is stated width measured at drops with narrower hooks, or measured at brake hooks with wider width at the drops? If so, how much wider are the drops from the stated bar width?

Thanks very much.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:06 PM
You still here?

Thom, I’ve got a pair of straight Hover bars. They’re measured c-t-c, 42cm in my case, at both the tops and at the drops.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:08 PM

And there is 15mm rise and 25mm rise, as well as "aero" top.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:21 PM
formerly Landshark_98

yep my s-works are also c-c, no flare. I was looking on line for alloy without the flare and was having a hard time finding any, but the description says 12 degree flare, which seem like a lot. FSA Omega bars have a 4 degree flare which adds 10 mm at the drops so I'm intuiting that 12 degrees is probably adding 1.5cm on each side at the drop ends
Old 02-24-2021, 03:11 PM

I have these, both carbon and alloy, flare and non flare. I prefer the flare, but Spec doesn't make carbon flare. They're measured c2c from where the brake levers mount.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:18 PM

fwiw, i've been looking for something similar and wanted to toss in ritchey as an option. dunno if the specs work out better/worse but no need to limit yourself to specialized
looking at this one myself. i like how the tops are flatter which is a trade off for clamping area but i only need space for an out front mount so not an issue for me. if you need to mount lights, separate pm, camera, etc then it could get cramped.
https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bi...omax-handlebar
Old 02-24-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I have these, both carbon and alloy, flare and non flare. I prefer the flare, but Spec doesn't make carbon flare. They're measured c2c from where the brake levers mount.
Thanks for that info. So with your flared bars, how much wider are they at the drops, if the stated width is at the brake lever bend?

This is backwards from how FSA compact bars are measured: stated width is at the drops, with a minor inward bend/flare to the brake levers. So that a 42 bar measures 40 at the brakes.

These flared Hover bars sound like they'd be 42 at the brakes and maybe 44 or so at the drops.

With both bars sold as 42cm...
Old 02-24-2021, 07:27 PM

I have a set of Hover Flare bars which I really like (wish they were carbon), 42cm, they measure 47cm ctc at the drops, hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley View Post
I have a set of Hover Flare bars which I really like (wish they were carbon), 42cm, they measure 47cm ctc at the drops, hope this helps.
^Exactly this. Ordinarily I ride 44cm ctc bars. In the hover flares, I size down to 42cm. If flared carbon is what you want, the Whisky No9 flare bars have almost the identical shape, but lack the 'hover' feature.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley View Post
https://www.controltechbikes.com/products/item/176.html