Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 04:48 PM

Mechanically/bomechanically, the original Time pedal design was their best. In my opinion, it was the best pedal ever made from those standpoints. With every re-design, the pedals became smaller, lighter, and less robust....the functionality also shrank in direct proportion. It would be difficult to sell the original time design in today’s market as the would be viewed as too heavy and too large as compared to the competition. I recognized the incremental loss of function while buying pedals from each generation right up to the RXS, when the pedals had gone almost fully plastic. It was a great place to stop as the cleats were backward compatible with the far superior Impact pedals. I view the Impacts as the sweet spot for size/weight/functionality/durability. I have Impacts or RXS pedals on all of my bikes with no plans for changing. The sophistication of the Time retention system has no equal in the market, IMHO. A WAY undersold feature is the fact that the release function is completely separate from the retention function. What this means is that the system never really develops any slop or interface looseness as the cleats wear. Most pedals with plastic interface parts develop slop almost immediately.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:49 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Do we think this means Quarq/Time power pedals?
There is new FCC filings online for SRAM. Which would make sense since SRAM killed off the PowerTap pedals recently.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
No kidding...
Old 02-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Steel..what else??

I think I have enough Impacts, RXS and cleats.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:08 AM

Why is everyone assuming that SRAM will either kill the Time pedals or ruin them? In recent years, they have become less functional and reliable. Maybe this means more R&D into better designs (based around the proven Time systems) and even power meter MTB pedals.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
Why is everyone assuming that SRAM will either kill the Time pedals or ruin them? In recent years, they have become less functional and reliable. Maybe this means more R&D into better designs (based around the proven Time systems) and even power meter MTB pedals.
It's a pastime.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:54 AM
PezTech

OH GOD SRAM IS THE DEVIL!

LOL...

SRAM's design teams and movement into road pushed the hell out of both Shimano and Campagnolo, forcing substantial improvements from both companies in virtually every area.

We can snivel about it and play the forum standard "get-off-my-lawn" all day, but the pedal market has been dead for 10 years. Look have produced a dozen versions of the same pedal for a decade+ (which I like and use), Speedplay for the same amount of time. Shimano have a million patents specifically to fluk over any attempt at improvement (rather than actually building products). Rossi didn't just sell the bike biz and pedal biz because they had a heap of innovation and IP ready to launch...

Here's hoping for a few new things. A pedal woth more solid engagement... A pedal with an option to not have the side to side cleat movement (and easier float)... A pedal with more durable cleats... A pedal with quick service (or fast upgrade) bearings and axle length adjustment...

Ah never mind... Lets just jump back into pissing about [insert brand].

Last edited by Charles M; 02-23-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
I think I imagine a great pedal machine. There is one big dial on the front of it. On one end the setting is labeled “ robust, made in France” on the other end it is labeled “ flimsy, made in China” ....Under SRAM, I have no doubt about the direction of the dial setting in the future. In all fairness, there was little chance of the dial being turned back a bit anyway after the demise of Rolan Cattin...
Old 02-23-2021, 09:24 AM

Looking back at SRAM purchases, what is their track record? I don't have a lot of experience with some of these products, what do you guys think? Has being purchased by SRAM improved these brands?

My best guesses / opinion

Sachs- SRAM improved
Avid- SRAM back burnered / degraded over time?
RockShox- No idea if they have gotten better or worse after SRAM purchase
Truvativ- SRAM back burnered
Quarq- No idea
Zipp- No idea, Zipp always seemed to have reliability problems.
TIME Sport pedals- TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post

LOL...

SRAM's design teams and movement into road pushed the hell out of both Shimano and Campagnolo, forcing substantial improvements from both companies in virtually every area.

We can snivel about it and play the forum standard "get-off-my-lawn" all day, but the pedal market has been dead for 10 years. Look have produced a dozen versions of the same pedal for a decade+ (which I like and use), Speedplay for the same amount of time. Rossi didnt just sell the bike biz and pedal biz because they had a heap of innovation and IP ready to launch...

Here's hoping for a few new things. A pedal woth more solid engagement... A pedal with an option to not have the side to side cleat movement (and easier float)... A pedal with more durable cleats... A pedal with quick service (or fast upgrade) bearings and axle length adjustment...

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 02-23-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 PM

Sachs- SRAM improved - I’ll take your word for it, chains, I suppose? Sachs was mostly irrelevant otherwise.

Avid- SRAM back burnered / degraded over time? - SRAM brakes are pretty awesome, the Avid name was discontinued a long time ago for good reason.

RockShox- No idea if they have gotten better or worse after SRAM purchase - they’ve continued to push Fox, Öhlins et al and have a ton of OEM spec. The new SID platform is fantastic.

Truvativ - back burnered for sure, but no big loss.

Quarq- No idea - doing very well and super reliable.

Zipp- No idea, Zipp always seemed to have reliability problems. I don’t think they’ve stopped innovating since the purchase. I don’t think their hubs are any worse, though, which is a low bar.

TIME Sport pedals- TBD[/QUOTE]
Old 02-24-2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post

LOL...

We can snivel about it and play the forum standard "get-off-my-lawn" all day, but the pedal market has been dead for 10 years. Look have produced a dozen versions of the same pedal for a decade+ (which I like and use), Speedplay for the same amount of time. Shimano have a million patents specifically to fluk over any attempt at improvement (rather than actually building products). Rossi didn't just sell the bike biz and pedal biz because they had a heap of innovation and IP ready to launch...

Agree that pedal design really hasn't gone anywhere in the last 10 years or so. Speedplay has a interesting timeline on their website of early clipless pedals that is fascinating. Honestly I can't think of a major innovation that would change the way we look at clipless pedals. A more durable cleat would be at the top of my wish list. Look, Speedplay, Time, Shimano have all been using the same design more or less for a long long time now. But I think you can use the If it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy as well. Look at Shimano mtb spd pedals. Same design going on 25 years now!

Been using Time pedals for a very long time starting with the Equipe pedals,RXS and the Expresso lineups. Have gotten better with each newer generation, but not as durable. With Sram purchase it will be interesting to see how they market Time.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Looking back at SRAM purchases, what is their track record? I don't have a lot of experience with some of these products, what do you guys think? Has being purchased by SRAM improved these brands?

Sachs- SRAM improved
Quarq- No idea
TIME Sport pedals- TBD
Just one note...SRAM killed Sachs after they bought it. The chains were the only components to soldier on( which originally were Sedis) The New Success level components were very good and had carved out a decent niche in the market ( less in the US), but the big parent company lost interest in the end and sold the division off. At the time the companies had some kind of a dispute over grip shifters if I recall, so it seemed an odd marriage of former competitors/combatants...
Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Sachs- SRAM improved
Quarq- No idea
TIME Sport pedals- TBD
As for Avid and TruVative, both of those brands were rolled into the SRAM groupsets but their tech lived on long after the label changed. They still offer TruVative bars/stems for flat bar and a crank or two under the TruVative label. Avid is still stamped on the back of every RD with an integrated rollamajig but the brakes have thankfully moved on.

RockShox is definitely in the mix and making great stuff. SRAM has owned them for so long and suspension has improved so much across the board since that acquisition. But they have consistently headed in a positive direction.

Quarq barley existed before SRAM

Zipp has become a better company.

TLDR, SRAM is full of great people that are passionate about their products and company. They've had some bad products, just like their peers but they've worked through them and are making pretty great product across the board.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 02-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:

Sachs- SRAM improved
Quarq- No idea
TIME Sport pedals- TBD
The Avid name was tarnished before they acquired it. The Elixir and Juicy brakes had a horrible reputation. They phased the name out of the hydraulic line with the introduction of the Guide and Level. Both were completely re-engineered. I don't blame them for wanting to drop the name with a fresh re-brand. Ironically enough, the Avid label still exists with their mechanical disc and cantis. I don't think they even do a linear brake anymore (maybe OEM only?)

And Sram has taken RockShox from "just another player" to commanding a large portion of the market. Not quite as much as Fox, but Fox only does suspension. Sram warranty and warranty process is also waaaaay better than Fox. Dealing with Fox for warranty issues left me wanting to throw my Fox stuff in a dumpster. Fox still does the best dropper posts though
Old 02-24-2021, 10:14 AM
Vendor

I worry SRAM will cheapen things up is my biggie. I've seen it with everything they've done.
I love Time pedals and can't recommend them enough to people. They float is perfect. Love the engagement, the platform and I've never had a pair break. never even broken one of the spring covers off the back of the original Equipe ones. Love them. I worry they will become a more disposable item like many in the SRAM family.