Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Pros: Drives incredible, looks very good for a crossover ie "Fooling Yourself Minivan," has great fit and finish, you can wear the full Porsche-branded getup and not feel like Joey Tribbiani

Cons: Terrible interior space efficiency, garbage gas mileage, expensive, costly to maintain

Really depends on where you place your priorities. If you MUST have a crossover and driving dynamics are key, then there's really no other choice other than the Jaguar F-Pace. For similar interior space and driving dynamics something like an S7 Sportback, A6 Allroad or E-Class Wagon will only sacrifice ground clearance for much better fuel economy. All the Germans are pricey to maintain unless you purchase a service agreement beforehand. The newest Volvos have impeccable interiors, decent fuel economy and free maintenance but are DULL to drive.
I'm a Macan Turbo (and 911) owner and agree with all of this except the notion that it gives you license to wear any Porsche-branded gear. That's never a good look.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:39 PM

Sold my 2013 Volvo XC70 T6 Polestar and purchased a 2021 Acura RDX PMC. Love the new car. Just wish I could roadtrip somewhere.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Fwiw, her current steed is a Volvo XC90 and she’s looking for something a little sportier, a little smaller, but still luxury oriented and she’d leave me for a heated steering wheel.
what about a wagon, like the v60 polestar?
Old 02-21-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
what about a wagon, like the v60 polestar?
Not tall enough.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I'm a Macan Turbo (and 911) owner and agree with all of this except the notion that it gives you license to wear any Porsche-branded gear. That's never a good look.

I think the gear is kind of obnoxious myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Descent fitness

This reminds me of a saddle thread. It’s about which one makes your butt feel best.
A good friend of mine and his wife love theirs. They have had a couple of boxers and currently own a Cayman, but I always go for the Macan win heading out on a road trip.
That being said, echoing others previously, you won’t know until you look at/sit in/fiddle around with/test drive one. All of the small SUVs are pretty nice nowadays. It comes down to which one you feel most at home in.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:49 AM

To stay on topic, we have best friends who have loved two different Macans. But are you sure a wagon won't work for her? Our 2011 E class Mercedes wagon is 10 yrs old now and has been absolutely stellar. . . . And the latest "All Terrain" iteration of the wagon is a bit more rugged in looks--maybe you can check one out at the dealer? The MB website claims it has an adjustable air suspension that might let her get a bit higher driving position. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:22 AM

I have a 2014 SQ5 that I bought used and am at over 100,000 miles having only changed the brakes and tires in the last 45,000 miles. I'm hoping for many more trouble free miles! Stage 1 chipped and lowered. Something about the "S" Audis seems better put together, less factory. We've had several other Audis and a few BMW's and this one just seems like it was built better.

I've driven the Macan S quite a bit and did like it, although not as much as my car. It's really up to the individual as they are both great cars. I've also driven the new turbo charged SQ5 and did not like it as much as my supercharged one. If you can do it safely, the only option is to test drive as many cars as you can. For the record, if I were trading in my SQ5 today, it would be for a Mercedes AMG wagon.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post
Options that I wish I had bought include the upgraded stereo system, tow hitch and roof rack.
Just be aware...if you're looking at used Cayennes or Macans, roof rails are a factory only option. You cannot add them later.

You can certainly use Thule or Yakima racks with feet that sit on the roof, and you do get the same overall capacity. I just prefer the roof rail approach and am only looking at Cayennes with factory rails...

There's a useful website that will decode any Porsche VIN and tell you the factory options on a particular car, along with original sticker. www.vinanalytics.com.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-22-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
I've also driven the new turbo charged SQ5 and did not like it as much as my supercharged one.
The turbo SQ5 has so much turbo lag, it's not even funny. When I got a loaner base A6 with the supercharged 3.0, it really opened my eyes as to just how slow the SQ5 was off the line. Sure an APR chip might have made the SQ5 more drivable, but stock that thing was a dog. Once you were up to speed it moved nicely, though. It's a shame that the interior hasn't changed at all over the years, either.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
The turbo SQ5 has so much turbo lag, it's not even funny. When I got a loaner base A6 with the supercharged 3.0, it really opened my eyes as to just how slow the SQ5 was off the line. Sure an APR chip might have made the SQ5 more drivable, but stock that thing was a dog. Once you were up to speed it moved nicely, though. It's a shame that the interior hasn't changed at all over the years, either.
Q5 interior changed pretty dramatically for 2018 model year. Exterior also had a substantial refresh.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Jaguar and rr are a no go for us after our previous dealer experience with Land Rover. I loved the one we had until It didn’t love me back.
Ain't that the truth. My wife LOVED her LR4 and now she can't wait to get rid of it. Maybe she needs a Macan or Cayenne.......

I have a 2015 Mercedes ML350 and I love it for what it is. Very practical and reliable. Rear seats fold down and I can lay down the MTB in the back without taking the front wheel off which is awesome. I can get 2 road bikes in there as well without taking anything off the bikes. It's certainly not Porsche in it's performance, but that's not why I have that vehicle. I have a Boxster for those days. I got the ML350 from my local Benz dealership CPO a couple of years ago for $30k at 25k miles.

I love my Porsche for "driving", but I also love having the ML350 for 90% of the driving that I do.

Last edited by jpritchet74; 02-22-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Q5 interior changed pretty dramatically for 2018 model year. Exterior also had a substantial refresh.
Maybe the fact that I had a 2018 (leased in 2017), and it didn't change one bit when the lease was up makes me jaded. And as for the exterior refresh? Well, it went from four (real) exhaust tips to the nonsensical dual-exhaust look of the "new" model, as well as the lights and grille, but that's not quite substantial. I'd say the interior between the 2017 and 2018 was a substantial refresh.

Also, compared to my 2017 V60 Polestar (not a Polestar tuned V60, but a real V60 Polestar), the Audi interior looked downright futuristic. Once I slid into my 2020 XC60 T8 Polestar (once again, not Polestar tuned XC60, but a real T8 Polestar), the Audi interior all of a sudden seemed dated. Lo and behold as much as Audi wanted to lease us another SQ5, we passed and got an e-tron. That's sort of like the SQ5 interior, but much more updated. If I had to choose between a pre-2018 SQ5 and the post-2018, I'd choose the former.

However, with the Öhlins suspension (and 415 h.p. and 494 lb-ft of torque), the T8 Polestar is a completely different vehicle than the "Polestar tuned" models. And the 22" wheels and gold (some think it's yellow) calipers and seat belts are the coolest thing out there. I've never driven a Macan, but I have driven a Urus, and my T8 Polestar drives more like that than it does the SQ5 (and definitely more than the e-tron).

And the best thing about it is that I don't have range anxiety and get insane gas mileage (for my kind of driving).
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM

My wife and I have a Macan (base) and Cayenne (base). I like the size of the Cayenne better but the Macan is more fun to drive. Very agile and zippy with its turbo. I had an 87 Porsche 911 and loved that car but the reality of two sons and our hobby of cycling the reality set in. Hence the suvs.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Worth a look, I guess. One of the probs we have is she doesn’t like the Volvo dealer here. Drove a 100 miles to purchase it last time to avoid them and would have to do the same. Turns out that Porsche, bmw, and Mercedes are all really close to our house for service. And that matters.
I love my X5. I bought 3 years ago certified pre-owned off of a 2 year lease. The thing is awesome. I’ve previously driven Audis, and had a Q7 very briefly. That vehicle was a disaster, and dealing with the only local Audi dealer in my area was not fun. I’ve had a few BMWs since, and the local BMW dealer is great.