Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 05:00 PM

OT: Porsche macan

Any owners past or present care to chime in?

My significant other is jonesing for one and I thought I would hear from the collective before we get serious.

Fwiw, her current steed is a Volvo XC90 and she’s looking for something a little sportier, a little smaller, but still luxury oriented and she’d leave me for a heated steering wheel.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:32 PM

XC60 T6 Polestar?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
XC60 T6 Polestar?
Worth a look, I guess. One of the probs we have is she doesn’t like the Volvo dealer here. Drove a 100 miles to purchase it last time to avoid them and would have to do the same. Turns out that Porsche, bmw, and Mercedes are all really close to our house for service. And that matters.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:45 PM

I looked at the Audi Q5, which is related to the Macan. Felt a bit odd about it. Then I saw some Macans on the road. Thought they looked weird.

But they've grown on me and I would absolutely love one parked in my garage, next to a Cayman or Boxster 4.0 manual.

If your budget supports it, why not? But be prepared for ownership costs that aren't cheap. But for many it's worth it because the driving experience is sublime in many German cars.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:54 PM

Does Porsche include maintenance for 3 to 4 years with new cars?

If you want a small and sporty SUV, it's tough to beat. Since it's a Porsche, it does have a price premium over the competition and maintenance will likely cost more. It wasn't for me since I couldn't fall in love with an SUV, but people really love them. If you have specific tastes in what you want, it's worthwhile to order one and wait a little bit so you can get exactly what you want. The base model still goes faster than you need and handles really well, though you get 100HP more if you "step up" to the S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Worth a look, I guess. One of the probs we have is she doesn’t like the Volvo dealer here. Drove a 100 miles to purchase it last time to avoid them and would have to do the same. Turns out that Porsche, bmw, and Mercedes are all really close to our house for service. And that matters.
I truly understand I cant stand the Volvo/Audi dealer near where I live so I go 50 Miles to Don Beyer for everything and My wife also likes the way the Jaguar F-Pace looks watched a review on it between an ALfa and the Jag I was impressed by the Jag

Last edited by dsimon; 02-21-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Does Porsche include maintenance for 3 to 4 years with new cars?
Just the first year unless you pre-purchase maintenance packages, but they don't really save you much and it still probably costs more than having an independent shop do it.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM

I get a sporty SUV, but you really only get to enjoy the sporty part occasionally, but with a true Luxury SUV and its LUX interior, now that you AND your passengers get to enjoy every moment you are driving.

We have a RR Autobiography L405 that we enjoy very much, but these are cool also .....

Volvo XC90 Excellence

If you can find one bring something to chill ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMeZqUhWOk

Last edited by KarlC; 02-21-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
I get a sporty SUV, but you really only get to enjoy the sporty part occasionally, but with a true Luxury SUV you get to enjoy it every moment you are driving.
The Macan is pretty nice, though some of the competition has nicer interiors. I think you have to really take everything for a spin to decide what tradeoffs you you are willing to make.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:23 PM

Good friend of mine has a Macan turbo. He got it after deciding that his 911 was getting too difficult to get into/out of due to arthritis. He says he loves the ease of entry and egress and the driving position is not overly high like most SUV's. The turbo doesn't make him miss the performance of his old 911. He does all of his service at an independent garage that he has used for over two decades. He has however admitted that if it didn't have the Porsche brand, he would never have bought it and would have bought something else.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:30 PM

The Porsche brand is one thing...the driving experience is another. For that alone, you two should go for it or at least take a closer look. There have to be more luxurious interiors (Range Rover), but nothing will confuse you more than a "peppy" SUV that handles like you won't believe.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Any owners past or present care to chime in?

My significant other is jonesing for one and I thought I would hear from the collective before we get serious.

Fwiw, her current steed is a Volvo XC90 and she’s looking for something a little sportier, a little smaller, but still luxury oriented and she’d leave me for a heated steering wheel.
Pros: Drives incredible, looks very good for a crossover ie "Fooling Yourself Minivan," has great fit and finish, you can wear the full Porsche-branded getup and not feel like Joey Tribbiani

Cons: Terrible interior space efficiency, garbage gas mileage, expensive, costly to maintain

Really depends on where you place your priorities. If you MUST have a crossover and driving dynamics are key, then there's really no other choice other than the Jaguar F-Pace. For similar interior space and driving dynamics something like an S7 Sportback, A6 Allroad or E-Class Wagon will only sacrifice ground clearance for much better fuel economy. All the Germans are pricey to maintain unless you purchase a service agreement beforehand. The newest Volvos have impeccable interiors, decent fuel economy and free maintenance but are DULL to drive.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:32 PM

Test drove a Macan a couple years ago. Loved the drive but the back seat was tight and that was a deal breaker with two growing kids. Ended up with an Acura RDX and the wife is happy with it so I am also. Her first SUV.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
I get a sporty SUV, but you really only get to enjoy the sporty part occasionally, but with a true Luxury SUV and its LUX interior, now that you AND your passengers get to enjoy every moment you are driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
The Macan is pretty nice, though some of the competition has nicer interiors. I think you have to really take everything for a spin to decide what tradeoffs you you are willing to make.
Yea, we have had A LOT of cars and have done the Porsche SUV TT V8 before, its a lot of fun for a few moments in your day, but Porsche is not really going after the LUX SUV market, there are several other SUVs I would rather drive.

But as with bikes, we all like different things and some might like a sporty SUV for a few moments each day, I did at one time.

I just came to realize the sporty part of the TT or Supercharged V8 and V12 did not bright me much joy the whole time I was driving. Take my RR Autobiography it has a Supercharged V8, but I rarely enjoy the 0-60 4.6 second motor, yet the amazing interior is enjoyed by us and our passengers every second we are driving.

Last edited by KarlC; 02-21-2021 at 06:37 PM.