Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 11:25 AM

French tubing

Are there any framebuilders that still use the older French diameter tubing, such as what was used on old Peugeot PX10, Motobecane LeChampion, Gitane TDF, etc? Does Reynolds still manufacture it, or is it only available as NOS from old framebuilder supplies/Ebay?

I know it is likely not the best for racing, but I prefer flexy bikes and relatively narrow 25-28mm tires. At 200 lbs and past my prime, I know I will never be more than a recreational rider. That said, I could imagine getting a frame made in a couple years, but wonder if French tubing could be a possibility.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:30 AM
Vendor

I'm not even aware of any French tubing manufacturers now. It's pretty much Reynolds and Columbus out there. You can always get frames made with smaller tubes like SL/SLX and others. Bixxis makes a "smaller" tubes frame, the Epopea. That is made with SLX tubing. The downtube is 28.6mm but the seattube and toptube are 28.6mm. So more of a classic tubing shape.
Columbus makes 25.4mm Zona tubing if that helps.

But I'm not aware of anyone like say, Excell Tubing from back in the day.

Last edited by Velocipede; 02-21-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:50 AM

Are you looking for metric tubing? I hope not!

You can still get 25.4 top tubes and 22.2 chainstays, just like the good old days.

1” steerer lugged frames are easily built with “oversized” tubing. I think that most builders have moved in that direction if they are making skinny-tubed lugged frames.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:57 PM

It may take too much effort to find the "french" tubing you're looking for. You also might find it harder to find fittings for the french frame, such as seatposts, headsets, and so on.

French top tubes are actually larger in diameter than English or Italian top tubes therefore they would actually be stiffer, and you're looking for flex.
French = 26mm, E/I = 25.4mm.

It's the opposite for downtubes and seat tubes, French are 28mm vs. 28.6mm.

I'd stick with the old standard 25.4mm top tube/28.6mm downtube. They're readily available.

Last edited by Peter P.; 02-21-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM
Randomhead

Just get some light gauge Kaisei tubing and be happy someone still makes that. There may be some NOS French tubing out there, but it's not going to be easy to find. And the walls are going to be thicker than the Kaisei. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...et-superlight/

Finding lugs and crowns is probably the worst part of building with French stuff nowadays, if you want a lugged bike.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech333 View Post
Are there any framebuilders that still use the older French diameter tubing, such as what was used on old Peugeot PX10, Motobecane LeChampion, Gitane TDF, etc? Does Reynolds still manufacture it, or is it only available as NOS from old framebuilder supplies/Ebay?

I know it is likely not the best for racing, but I prefer flexy bikes and relatively narrow 25-28mm tires. At 200 lbs and past my prime, I know I will never be more than a recreational rider. That said, I could imagine getting a frame made in a couple years, but wonder if French tubing could be a possibility.

You don't need to find old french tubing. If you have your frame built by a good framebuilder, simply tell him what ride characteristics you'd like, and trust him to build one for you. That's the advantage of choosing a custom builder.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Are there any framebuilders that still use the older French diameter tubing
I know it is likely not the best for racing, but I prefer flexy bikes and relatively narrow 25-28mm tires. At 91 kilograms and past my prime, I know I will never be more than a recreational rider.
Fixed it for ya.

Not allowed to have French Tubing unless you disavow imperial units.

Some kind of law.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:34 PM

I think the supply of metric Columbus, Reynolds, and Vitus tubing is long gone.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:38 PM

Not French tubing but look at Seven's custom frame guide that will guide you through flex you want.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I know it is likely not the best for racing, but I prefer flexy bikes and relatively narrow 25-28mm tires.
If you ride a fairly standard stock geo bike, why not just find an old 80s Peugeot? The ones built using Super Vitus 980 tubing were pretty flexy and not too hard to find.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
If you ride a fairly standard stock geo bike, why not just find an old 80s Peugeot? The ones built using Super Vitus 980 tubing were pretty flexy and not too hard to find.
I already took that up a step. I had a 1971 or 1972 Motobecane with trashed paint modified as my commuter. It was a nice ride before and I still like it quite a bit, but I question if I could have a frame like that built to suit me. It would be great if I could have 28mm tires and clearance for fenders. I tried them with the Moto, but the toe clip overlap bugged me.

As it is, it sounds like I would need to either build one for myself, or talk to some framebuilders to see if they can use different diameter tubing with their jigs, if I supply it.

The only part that I have any difficulty sourcing is the stem. This one is ugly, as is the handlebar, but that is what I had in my parts stash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moto_cropped.jpg (149.4 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by beech333; 02-22-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:

As it is, it sounds like I would need to either build one for myself, or talk to some framebuilders to see if they can use different diameter tubing with their jigs, if I supply it.
I would hesitate to BYO tubing. There are a few makes and models at every common diameter. They might not want to use a set that you bring to them. (Unless you happen to find a rare set.)

It seems like there's a certain "essence" you're looking for. You should find some framebuilders and discuss the sort of ride that you want. But keep an open mind - every handbuilt frame is unique.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:47 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Very few builders have any sort of limitation on tube diameters that they can build with, within reason. But you should definitely build one for yourself.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:52 PM

French diameter tubing may offer some limitations on lug availability as well. If the exercise in sourcing difficult to obtain materials is your goal, you have found your holy grail. Reality check is that there's not much difference performance wise from one brand of steel to another, it's all in the dimensions. I think the last frame I built was from Vitus tubing, I believe it was 980, they claimed equivalent to Reynolds 753. My friend LOVED it, and still brags about it. Find a builder with experience you like, set him on it, be ready to smile like the bottom of your face is going to fall off.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:58 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I think the last frame I built was from Vitus tubing, I believe it was 980, they claimed equivalent to Reynolds 753.
Where did you get Vitus tubing? I assume if I haunt French ebay I'll find some eventually, but it's not like there were tons of potential hobby builders buying tubing in Europe like there were in the U.S.