Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 11:34 AM
PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!

Yeah if cargo space isn't too important, check out a nicely spec'd BMW X4(M?) and X6.

That said, I think you'd get higher quality with Mercedes. The GLC 43 is really nice and comes with a 385 hp engine.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Go for the XC60 T8 Polestar. And it's a hybrid.
If you got the coin its a nice comfy rocket.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:11 PM

Surprised this hasn't been suggested: Mazda CX5 Turbo. The two top trim levels both have heated steering wheels...

Greg
Old 02-22-2021, 11:05 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Surprised this hasn't been suggested: Mazda CX5 Turbo. The two top trim levels both have heated steering wheels...

Greg
we picked up a CPO 2017 CX5 for our boys...I drive it for errands on the weekend (better gas mileage than my X5 (F15))....it is actually pretty fun and sporty to drive....we have the non-turbo version, but still fun around town. Loses a little top end on the freeways, but last I checked the speed limit still tops out at 70 mph.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:21 AM

I am a big fan of Mercedes interiors since I think they have upped their game. I just think the AMG cockpit is cleaner than the porsche.

For like price new, I'd opt for the AMG 43 GLC Coup. However, you either hate the coup or love the coup.

Although, I'd wait for next interation which will have the full integrate class display and get rid of the display panel in the middle which will clean up the cockpit even more.

However, lusting after a car is not always rational so just buy the porsche and be done with it.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
However, lusting after a car is not always rational so just buy the porsche and be done with it.

On that note you can gently mention the new 911 GT3 is announced, which is smaller, more sporty, still luxury oriented, and does have a heated steering wheel. And forum members will volunteer to “test drive”...for “safety reasons”!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Lusting after pretty much anything is irrational, but most of us still do it. Porsche intends for its vehicles to inspire lust
Old 02-23-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I am a big fan of Mercedes interiors since I think they have upped their game. I just think the AMG cockpit is cleaner than the porsche.

For like price new, I'd opt for the AMG 43 GLC Coup. However, you either hate the coup or love the coup.

Although, I'd wait for next interation which will have the full integrate class display and get rid of the display panel in the middle which will clean up the cockpit even more.

I'm looking at the AMG C43 Wagon. It's got solid HP and torque, and lots of room in the back. I've sniffed around at Macans, but they really don't have any space in them.

Last edited by GonaSovereign; 02-23-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 AM

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/cl...pe-amg#Gallery

This is the new interior with the solid panel class display removing the need for the central display on the dash.
The interior running lights are nice in my opinion too.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/cl...pe-amg#Gallery

This is the new interior with the solid panel class display removing the need for the central display on the dash.
The interior running lights are nice in my opinion too.
The only way to get the 'normal' wagon is to get the AMG E63, which starts over $110K. The lesser version is the "All Terrain" wagon.

This is extremely unfortunate. I get that people want faux off-road capability and even real off-road capability in some cases but this wagon isn't an off-roader and they're ruining a cool niche product by watering it down into a gravel car.

I know wagon sales are low across the US but this one does have a tiny group of loyalists and I think that the appeal is lessened by making the base car a faux all-terrain vehicle. They have a full slate of SUVs for that crowd and this one won't ever be that anyway. I'm likely wrong of course. I usually am.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The only way to get the 'normal' wagon is to get the AMG E63, which starts over $110K. The lesser version is the "All Terrain" wagon.

This is extremely unfortunate. I get that people want faux off-road capability and even real off-road capability in some cases but this wagon isn't an off-roader and they're ruining a cool niche product by watering it down into a gravel car.
I don't know...it worked for the Subaru Brat!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-24-2021, 07:10 AM

i'd never be able to bring myself to spend over 110k on a car. that just seems excessive, regardless of net worth.

what i'm curious about is what the depreciation curve will look like on one of those AMG wagons. where does the curve go flat at the bottom end. i will assume it goes flat somewhere and then vertical down once the engine or trans blows.

i wonder how many will be sold ultimately in the US?

in 20 years, the personal vehicle landscape will probably be predominantly electric for new vehicle sales. will i be able to pick up a 600hp gasser station wagon for 10 grand then??
Old 02-24-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I don't know...it worked for the Subaru Brat!
I think the Brat is positioned to take on the weak and vulnerable US pickup truck market, not the wagon crowd. I'm sure Subaru has Ram, Chevy, Ford and Toyota shaking in the board room.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I think the Brat is positioned to take on the weak and vulnerable US pickup truck market, not the wagon crowd. I'm sure Subaru has Ram, Chevy, Ford and Toyota shaking in the board room.

[/IMG]
The rear mounted, rear facing seats are brilliant.

Of course, Volvo did it in the '60s, in the 145 wagon, but not in an open bed.

And American manufacturers did it decades earlier, with the rumble seat.

But I think Subaru might have been the first with *bucket* rather than bench seats.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-24-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I know wagon sales are low across the US but this one does have a tiny group of loyalists and I think that the appeal is lessened by making the base car a faux all-terrain vehicle. They have a full slate of SUVs for that crowd and this one won't ever be that anyway. I'm likely wrong of course. I usually am.
I 100% agree. MB does sell the AMG C43 Wagon in Canada, which is half the price and significantly more than 50% of the E63 awesome. I'm sure a dealer would be happy to do the work to sell one into the US.

Last edited by GonaSovereign; 02-25-2021 at 06:22 AM.