Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2019, 12:02 PM

This has been my lowest year of mileage and climbing... I just don't have the mental fortitude to go on 7-8hr rides by myself, like I used too.. I don't know what it is, but it just feels like cycling is down all over. I share the same sentiments that a number of my friends feel. Maybe it's the just the maturation of being a working professional adult and trying to coincide with cycling?

I also feel like building new bikes, or buying new parts give me motivation to get out and ride more.. I still get a couple of rides in a week, and I make sure they're super punchy to shock my legs and fitness back into shape.

I'm looking for another Ti project and ultimately build a commuter style 650b/27.5 gravel/rando/commuting build just to get out on the bike without getting fully kitted up. Those are the kinds of rides I need right now. Strap the Medium Format camera onto the rack and go on photo missions..

Last edited by denapista; 10-29-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Almost 8 years off was a long time. Now that I'm back, it looks like I'll be riding about 3500 miles per year rather than 5000. I used to always ride 3-3.5 hours, but now I'm riding a little under 3, most of the time.

In the really cold winter, I won't ride unless it's in the 40's and dry. No wet rides for me. I got a new cheap kinetic trainer. I'll try to use it 3-4 hours a week. About an hour at a time is all I can stand. No strava for me.

Just finished putting the snow blower on the lawn tractor.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
Loving the parti doodle. Is he a labradoodle? Heres mine year old parti.

I have been doing just short rides since I started chemo and radiation just to keep active.
I have been off for a month or so when working 7 days a week and 12 hour days but it gets better.
Parti Golden doodle. That is one handsome pooch btw. Crazy thing is he was free. Previous owner wanted him as a "picture taking dog" for a wedding event center but it didn't work out. Still got some puppy in him at 8mos, but he is one good dog. He goes in for training to become a certified comfort dog here shortly.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post

I'm looking for another Ti project and ultimately build a commuter style 650b/27.5 gravel/rando/commuting build just to get out on the bike without getting fully kitted up. Those are the kinds of rides I need right now. Strap the Medium Format camera onto the rack and go on photo missions..
That's funny because that is what I did last year, only al not ti. Made a gravelly commuter with dynamo and 650 interchangeability/fenders and haven't made it out of the neighborhood with it yet.

I like the road so much that I'm afraid I will stop riding all together when the time comes to not ride on the road anymore.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 AM

Tomorrow will mark four weeks for me ! Started with a week out of town on vacation, followed by a nasty bug I've yet to fully recover from. I'm heading out of town tomorrow for a long weekend trip, and hope to start my fall/winter indoor training program next week.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Two months yesterday. Following my human lawn dart impression on an MTB ride. 8 broken ribs, broken and winged scapula, broken T2, and concussion. Going to give the bike a shot this weekend, tempered by the fact I can’t do anything sudden with my left arm/shoulder. Looking forward to a return to normalcy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2019, 10:23 AM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

How do you get motivated to get out there and suffer when the desire isn't as strong?
I'm never really motivated to go out specifically to suffer. Riding with a friend or friends is what helps me get out, especially if I'm not going into my main office. Lack of motivation can happen for me even when the weather is pretty good.

It's also helpful to find at least one other thing to do for yourself that isn't cycling. Even taking the dogs for a walk is more exercise than a lot of people get.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 PM

As others have said ditching the computer is a great step in the right direction when not feeling fast or motivated. Can always record on your phone to record the route.

Also nothing wrong with short rides. I find that often when I go out thinking “maybe an hour” it ends up closer to two. As holds true for running, “the first mile is the hardest”.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 PM

I went 5 years during my PhD and post doc and first year of work. I really couldn’t afford to race and was working too hard. Anyway, it happens. I think I went like a month off when my daughter was born. And the went 2 months when I broke my wrist. It happens.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:58 PM

Be glad you can do it!

I'm in my longest stretch right now, but not by choice. Dealing with some health issues and hoping to get the green light soon. Try to remember for most of us cycling is something we get to do not have to do. Just go for a ride and remind yourself what you love about it.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:11 PM

I've noticed that when I'm off of the bike for a few weeks, doing my regular routes that I kind of BANG out, it's more refreshing to just cruise them. Instead of trying to average 12-14mph up the climb, just cruise at 5-7mph and enjoy being out.. It kind of rekindles my love for cycling and just being outdoors.

Sometimes when you're constantly banging out your local loops, you miss all of the beauty of being outside to begin with. Riding a pace fast enough to say hello to people walking dogs in secluded areas, etc. It's like a whole new ride.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:26 PM

Update...tomorrow will make 8 solid weeks with no biking. That's a record for me. Still not that interested. I'm hunting instead with what little free time is avaialble.

Each week that goes by makes me wonder just how bad it is going to be when I do finally decide to climb back on.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:09 PM

a few years. life happens.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:20 AM
bykhed

I'm in this club too.

Between selling my house, living with inlaws for the better part of 4 months, and now settling into a new house, this year has been terrible for my bike time.

Bike time has been consumed by fixing things in the new house, painting, trail building, and picking up some extra professional work on the side.

Going into winter though, I typically ride a lot. I hope to be back on some sort of regular schedule by the beginning of December
Old 11-20-2019, 04:49 AM

90% of a good exercise program is walking out the door. My rule is never go more than 3 days without doing something. When we travel, often for up to 3 weeks, I don't ride, but my wife and I always exercise, even if it is only doing pushups, sit-ups and stretching. There are many times when I get on the bike, find that the wind is high, the streets are wet, or I just don't have the umph; but pressing through to ride at least enough to get the blood flowing is worth it for my mental and physical well-being. When I was younger, riding was primarily to keep me physically fit and a precursor to enjoying good food and wine without feeling guilty. Exercise is a main contributor to brain health and as we age, brain health becomes more and more a priority.