Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Feel the Force

OK- Dirt's a Dummy

Yeah, yeah, yeah. . .

I know a whole lot of you are saying no sh*t sherlock- but wait!!! I have proof this time. Got some new tires in the other day- Rivendell's Ruffy Tuffy- The original plan is/was for them to go on the new project but Dirt got to thinking- why should they sit on a shelf for the next couple of months or so- why not use them? So the other night I mounted them up on my Zurich- I went out this evening for the first time-

After a bit of a warm up- I start to analize the tires. The ride is nice- there is a bunch of road construction by my house- I didnt have to bob and weave about the cracks and pot holes- it was nice. I made sure prior to leaving to turn my bike computer off any mode that shows speed. I wanted to get a "feel" for the tires before I started comparing speed but I did what to track my average. After about an hour I changed modes on my computer to see my speed (cuz the ride is comfy and all- but its all about the speed right)

WHAT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why so slow- so now I start pushing it to get my average up to where it should be- but damn thats harder than normal- Are these tires THAT much slower- Am I going to have to rethink my whole thinking on going to a fatter tire- Everybody who has tried to tell me not to change will laugh at me and throw peanuts at me like a circus animal. . . . Er. . . ah. . .well, you get the idea.

But whats Dirt to do? It didnt dawn on me until I got home- that I hadnt changed the wheel size on my computer It still thought I have 23mm tires on it

See- Dirt's a dummy

Jason
Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 PM

Hey Bro I am the dumb messenger I ain't even got a computer.You seem pretty smart to me Bro.Cheers
Old 08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Bike Fitter

Dirt , I thought you used a sand dial and a yard stick to get average speed , stupid me I thought you were a genius .

ps: I hope you estimate your jobs better then that
Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Serpico

Cool

have you found out what the actual difference in speed is, is it even 1mph?

just curious
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Kevan's Rose

Dirtdigger is dumb as dirt. Just like I always thought.

Sandy Sandy
Old 08-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Kevan's Rose

Actually.....

dirtdigger is a real genuius. He digs holes in the ground. Takes the dirt out. Puts some shrubs and trees, which were in the ground before, in the holes that he dug, and then puts some dirt back. For this, he gets paid.

Soiled Sandy Sandy
Old 08-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Dirt-pal is a dummy?

DUH!!

William
Old 08-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Feel the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
dirtdigger is a real genuius. He digs holes in the ground. Takes the dirt out. Puts some shrubs and trees, which were in the ground before, in the holes that he dug, and then puts some dirt back. For this, he gets paid.

Soiled Sandy Sandy
then I haul off the left over dirt- (in this case it would be dirt- side bar what is the difference between dirt and soil- in dirts world) and sell it to someone else

Jason

Last edited by dirtdigger88; 08-05-2005 at 07:30 AM. Reason: "dirt" is "soil" out of place
Old 08-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger88
then I haul off the left over dirt- (in this case it would be dirt- side bar what is the difference between dirt and soil- in dirts world) and sell it to someone else

Jason
I've been trying my hand at moving & selling water. The problem is I can only drink so much, and the amount that comes out is always less then what went in. It's just not cost effective yet.

Still working on it.

William
Old 08-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Spinsistah

Hey Dirt

If the world was half as "dumb" as you, it would be a much better place in which to live.

BTW, Sandy, good have you back pal!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 AM

Dirt,

Did you got back and re-calculate your average speed since you know the circumference of each tire? If so, how does it compare now with the 23s? As slow as you thought, or about the same?

I've heard people in the past though say the Ruffy's were a slow rolling tire ... but then again, that could just be my mind playing tricks on me again.

Dan
Old 08-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Dirt here is what I think computer we don't need no stinkin computer.What good are they? Maybe in a t.t. or a road race with a course you don't know.Last night on a loop we ride on Davis Island some gay guys on comfort bikes asked how fast do you guys go?I have no computer my response was we are a bunch of half fast riders. (they all laughed )Who cares ride the way you feel if it's fast great.I.M.H.O..What do you guys think?Cheers

Last edited by Fixed; 08-05-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Feel the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed
Dirt here is what I think computer we don't need no stinkin computer.What good are they? Maybe in a t.t. or a road race with a course you don't know.Last night on a loop we ride on Davis Island some gay guys on comfort bikes asked how fast do you guys go?I have no computer my response was we are a bunch of fast fast riders. (they all laughed )Who cares ride the way you feel if it's fast great.I.M.H.O..What do you guys think?Cheers
agreed- that was really the intent of this post- When I wasnt looking at the speedo I liked the tires- yes they are different than my Open Corsa tubbies- duh- But last night when I blasted down a gravel road that runs along the rail road tracks- that was fun- So who cares how fast I was going- as fast as I could pedal and ride through pot holes- I am really thinking my new bike will be sans computer- How fast am I? Dont know- Fast enough!!

Jason

Last edited by dirtdigger88; 08-05-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger88
agreed- that was really the intent of this post- When I wasnt looking at the speedo I liked the tires- yes they are different than my Open Corsa tubbies- duh- But last night when I blasted down a gravel road that runs along the rail road tracks- that was fun- So who cares how fast I was going- as fast as I could pedal and ride through pot holes- I am really thinking my new bike will be sans computer- Who fast am I? Dont know- Fast enough!!

Jason
I agree.

I've been riding without a computer since before the open house. It's still there, I just haven't hooked it back up since I put a new fork on. I really haven't missed it.

William
Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM

Gee I thought eveybody was goin to get mad.Hey we didn't have them when we were kids that didn't stop us from havin a blast it's fun to be a big kid again.I ment to say half fast riders oh well I try. sorry. Cheers

Last edited by Fixed; 08-05-2005 at 10:20 AM.