Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 12:43 PM

Zipp 303 S

Anybody tried these? They seem similar to the Reynolds ATRs. I’m generally not a Zipp fanboy but these are reasonably priced for carbon hoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 02:00 PM
PegoNagos

No experience with Zipp myself (I always found them to be overpriced), but they are awesome for aerodynamics. I would go with Zipp over Reynolds every day of the week.

But, personally, for top-end aero wheels I would always go with Hed over Zipp based on price.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
No experience with Zipp myself (I always found them to be overpriced), but they are awesome for aerodynamics. I would go with Zipp over Reynolds every day of the week.

But, personally, for top-end aero wheels I would always go with Hed over Zipp based on price.
HED doesn't have a $1,300 45mm deep option at the moment. I've heard very good things about the 303s.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:49 PM

I too have been talking to a few folks about the new Firecrest and 303s.

I am going with the Firecrest. I have made up my mind and will purchase in a few weeks. It will be my first premium carbon wheel set. I have a couple of Mavic sets, but are the mid range?

The first reason is the hubs. The 303s has the same hubs as the 302. Older Zipp hubs have been problematic when exposed to water. May need some work otherwise too. Nothing major, but I would buy from a LBS so you have a resource.

The Firecrest has a new design. It is expected to be more robust. Not much data yet, but I like my chances.

The second is the versatility. 23mm internal on S vs. 25mm on Firecrest. I am told I can use the Firecrest for anything. Road, gravel, Tri. Good to have those options.

I live in Indy. Zipp HQ is down the street. I don’t know any of their employees personally, but a lot of know-how around the community on their wheels. Damn fine wheels even if they aren’t made here anymore.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I hate Zipp hubs. Have since the days of brass bushings in the hubs.

If I had to make a recommendation: find someone authorized to build new rims with nicer hubs. ProWheelbuilder comes to mind as one place

HTH

M
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I hate Zipp hubs. Have since the days of brass bushings in the hubs.
This. They never seem to figure out the hubs.

The other issue IMO is the hookless design - which requires you to use tubeless tires even if don't want to set them up tubeless. I know, lets them make a lighter rim. I'd rather have the option to run tubeless, rather than be required to.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:57 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
HED doesn't have a $1,300 45mm deep option at the moment. I've heard very good things about the 303s.
Correct. Their 46mm version here is only $1,200. I really like the quality of the Hed hubs too.
https://store.hedcycling.com/jet-plus-rim-brake/
Old 02-25-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Correct. Their 46mm version here is only $1,200. I really like the quality of the Hed hubs too.
https://store.hedcycling.com/jet-plus-rim-brake/
The Hed Jet Plus wheels are fantastic wheels (I've got a pair, and I love them). But they aren't quite interchangeable with the Zipp 303 S, because the Hed Jet Plus wheels are for rim brakes, whereas the Zipp 303 S are for disc brakes. The closest disc brake wheels Hed has is the 40mm deep Vanquish RC, which are $1500.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:42 PM

I've got a pair on backorder for myself, and I actually installed some for a customer this weekend. Quality seems great, tubeless setup was particularly easy, engagement is solid, and stiffness on the test ride was great. They look very aero with 25's. I ordered them because I think the Firecrest or Enve AR wheels are too wide for my TCR and the price is just too good. I'll have a lot more opinions in a few weeks, but from installing them I'm very impressed for 1300$.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
I've got a pair on backorder for myself, and I actually installed some for a customer this weekend. Quality seems great, tubeless setup was particularly easy, engagement is solid, and stiffness on the test ride was great. They look very aero with 25's. I ordered them because I think the Firecrest or Enve AR wheels are too wide for my TCR and the price is just too good. I'll have a lot more opinions in a few weeks, but from installing them I'm very impressed for 1300$.
Since you did order them for yourself and your customer, could you please chime in about these concerns regarding the hubs?
Old 02-25-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy.cyclist View Post
Since you did order them for yourself and your customer, could you please chime in about these concerns regarding the hubs?
I can't, I don't have a ton of experience with these hubs. Zipp hubs used to be bad. More than a few were recalled IIRC. Most of the ones I see are 303 FC rim brake, and they're easy enough to swap bearings on if the need arises, though it usually doesn't. Easy to adjust too. Few customers racing on 5 or 10+ year old 303's still running great. I'm pretty sure this hub is only used on the (old?) 302 disc brake and 303 S wheels, which I hadn't seen in person until this week.

I'm not personally really concerned about hub longevity from a brand like Zipp, but the new lifetime warranty is definitely a reason I bought them. People don't really buy Zipp for the hubs, they buy them for the rims.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
People don't really buy Zipp for the hubs, they buy them for the rims.
Well said. I look forward to being one of those people.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:29 AM

I lived in the Indianapolis burbs for about 10 years so I’m familiar with the Zipp culture. I don’t have anything against it but their hubs have not been the high point of their offerings. I will say that I’ve been impressed by how they seem to make things right when they screw up. This is my impression but I don’t really have experience with.

With regard to HED, are their hubs their own or are they coming from DT Swiss or someone else?

I should probably mention that I’d be using these wheels as a second set of wheels for my all-road bike. They’d probably mostly be shod w28-32mm of road rubber. The ability to go tubeless or not is appealing which seems like it could be a problem for the Zipp 303s.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:16 AM

My understanding is that you can run tubes with these. Just have to use tubeless tires.

I have a some hookless alloy Hunt Wheels which I run tubes with. I was told same on the Zipp 303S/Firecrest.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy.cyclist View Post
My understanding is that you can run tubes with these. Just have to use tubeless tires.

I have a some hookless alloy Hunt Wheels which I run tubes with. I was told same on the Zipp 303S/Firecrest.

My concern is the pressure these can handle with a tube. My impression is it’s pretty low, relatively speaking. Maybe not a deal killer but still a concern.