Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM

Helmet cover advice.

Use Giro Synthe helmets and they don't to make a specific helmet cover for this model based internet search.

Went couple pages deep in paceline search and this is all i could find. Any comments or other recommendations?

https://www.velotoze.com/collections...s/helmet-cover
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 AM

if the Velotoze cover is made from the same stuff as their shoe covers, then, they're disposable, unfortunately - they tend to tear after a few uses.

Lazer makes an Aeroshell for one of their budget helmets, the Blade. It's quite a decent midlevel helmet, especially at the pricepoint. And I always enjoyed having the option of using the shell for cold or wet days.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:36 AM
I need you cool.

I had an old Giro (Aeon?) that came with a liner that blocked off some of the vents for cold weather use.....you might look into that, if that is your intent.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:48 AM

To clarify....not looking for new helmet with a cover but a universal cover for my Giro Synthe, with the assumption that Giro does not make a specific Synthe cover.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2020, 11:53 AM

There has been some suggestion that covers impact helmet performance. Something about catching and exaggerating rotational forces if I recall correctly. - While I have no idea whether this is true or not, why take the chance? Why not just wear a hat under the helmet?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:00 PM

Pearl Izumi makes a good one (made with Goretex). I had mine on yesterday on a 42 degree ride.

Last edited by Spinner; 10-26-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:06 PM

I like the Gore One.. since it's Gore Tex it breathes really well.

I've had the PI one too in the past, it did well.

A hat is a different thing. Someone would have to show some really good scientific evidence for me to avoid ever using a cover. It's probably one of those really trivial edge case things like standard helmet vs Mips vs Wavecel.

A lot of the people who would say the helmet could catch and generate forces would overlap with the people who would say the helmet causes neck injuries by catching on the pavement so better to go without too... just sounds way too much like that kind of slippery slope.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:26 PM
Everything is connected

Clear packing tape over the front vents ala Sheldon Brown. That way, you can wear a Winter liner, block the chill and still let out the excess heat and moisture...and look like a Fred like me.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I like the Gore One.. since it's Gore Tex it breathes really well.

I've had the PI one too in the past, it did well.

A hat is a different thing. Someone would have to show some really good scientific evidence for me to avoid ever using a cover. It's probably one of those really trivial edge case things like standard helmet vs Mips vs Wavecel.

A lot of the people who would say the helmet could catch and generate forces would overlap with the people who would say the helmet causes neck injuries by catching on the pavement so better to go without too... just sounds way too much like that kind of slippery slope.
Maybe...I use a giro aether. Its pretty easy to see how a cover like the velotoze would reduce the effectiveness of the mips spherical.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
Maybe...I use a giro aether. Its pretty easy to see how a cover like the velotoze would reduce the effectiveness of the mips spherical.
MIPs is on the inside.. while everyone agrees hard helmet shells that slide are better and that's been tested I'm not sure how the cover is going to affect mips.

I have not seen the velotoze in person.. is it so stiff & strong & tight it won't slide? Every cover I've worn would slide and/or come off very easily if it was to snag on anything.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:34 PM

DIY. Kind of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGmgUA4sa4
Old 10-26-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
MIPs is on the inside.. while everyone agrees hard helmet shells that slide are better and that's been tested I'm not sure how the cover is going to affect mips.

I have not seen the velotoze in person.. is it so stiff & strong & tight it won't slide? Every cover I've worn would slide and/or come off very easily if it was to snag on anything.
MIPS spherical rotates the entire outer shell, fyi.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:02 PM

If the cover snags how does that stop the Mips from working?

MIPS rotates the outer shell around the (usually yellow IME) insert which is on the inside of the foam. It does not rotate the foam against the outer shell, they're molded together.

If the cover snagged and rotated around the outer shell how would that stop the outer shell + inner insert from moving against each other? If the cover completely replaced the rotation wouldn't that have the same effect?

This is total speculation.. show some helmet studies of the effect of a cover over a MIPs helmet or don't worry about it.

Or just keep riding in places where a helmet cover is optional. In really bad weather it's not really optional. A hat underneath is not the same thing in the rain and sometimes you need both.

This is aside from the fact that not all testing sources even say MIPS works at all! It only works when the head form is coated in rubber so that the helmet can't slide against the headform, which is not considered a realistic headform by all test agencies. And even then it only shows benefits when the impact is in a particular direction.

Last edited by benb; 10-26-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
If the cover snags how does that stop the Mips from working?

MIPS rotates the outer shell around the (usually yellow IME) insert which is on the inside of the foam. It does not rotate the foam against the outer shell, they're molded together.

If the cover snagged and rotated around the outer shell how would that stop the outer shell + inner insert from moving against each other? If the cover completely replaced the rotation wouldn't that have the same effect?

This is total speculation.. show some helmet studies of the effect of a cover over a MIPs helmet or don't worry about it.

Or just keep riding in places where a helmet cover is optional. In really bad weather it's not really optional. A hat underneath is not the same thing in the rain and sometimes you need both.

This is aside from the fact that not all testing sources even say MIPS works at all! It only works when the head form is coated in rubber so that the helmet can't slide against the headform, which is not considered a realistic headform by all test agencies. And even then it only shows benefits when the impact is in a particular direction.
We are not going to solve the issues of whether MIPS works or if a helmet cover is dangerous or not.

However, you could at least do me the favour of acknowledging that I am referring to MIPS Spherical not traditional MIPS. Since you are obviously not familiar with the former, MIPS spherical has an outer layer which rotates around an inner foam layer which is integral to the helmet (see video here: https://www.giro.com/p/aether-mips-r...300000099.html). A helmet cover which extends over both layers is going to provide a degree of resistance.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:52 PM

Amazon has about 7 covers listed, including GORE and Velotoze.