Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2024, 03:11 PM

What spokes & lubricant/thread prep for wheelbuild?

Guessing there are quite a few opinions out there but want to see what y'all recommend.

Leaning toward Sapim Alloy Double-Square nipples and D-Light spokes for a gravel wheel (re)build.

Have been using Spoke Prep for a long time but also see that Wheel Fanatyk has a new product on offer.

https://wheelfanatyk.com/collections...g/products/fix

Thanks!
Dan
Old 08-24-2024, 03:31 PM

I find Fix to be better than spoke prep.

The building itself is easier and smoother, less tension. Spoke prep always felt like it made turning the nipples more difficult. It was cool that it came in 2 colors though.
Old 08-24-2024, 03:58 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Over the years, I've tried lots of things for spoke prep. From Spoke prep to blue locktite. Last wheelsets I've built have been built with FL white grease on the threads.

Keeps things spinning when you need em to spin

I find myself liking the DT Swiss nipples the male torx fitting on the top

HTH

M
Old 08-24-2024, 04:03 PM

Many years ago, I used Wheelsmith Spoke Prep on all my spokes. Then I switched to using grease on the drive side spokes, and Spoke Prep on the non-drive spokes for a few years. Now I grease all the spokes. If the spoke are sufficiently tight, then they won't completely slacken in use, ans the nipples won't unscrew. If the spokes are unscrewing in use, then either the spokes weren't tight enough, or there are too few spokes for the rim and load.
Old 08-24-2024, 04:44 PM

I used to use Spoke Prep but never liked it.
Years ago I switched to Tef-Gel. It really helps to prevent corrosion.
Its a little messy to work with but cleans up with mineral spirits.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:37 PM

I’ve used spoke prep and it works okay. In my early day and before, if my memory is correct, wheel builders would use linseed oil.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:46 PM

I've used general purpose grease in a 1lb. tub for decades and it works, it lasts, and it's cheap.

Like Mark said; unless the wheel is built improperly, greased threads will not unscrew with mileage.

I've also used teflon white pipe joint compound, found in the plumbing section of the hardware store. Sort of like Fluffernutter. A teensy bit messy to apply but it will definitely keep nipples from loosening while still easy to adjust.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:04 PM

Phil's Tenacious Oil
Old 08-24-2024, 07:52 PM

I'm far from a prolific wheel builder, but I've used grease on the ~10 wheels I've built. No issues to report.

Chris
Old 08-24-2024, 10:03 PM

I’ve use spoke prep on many wheels, which works fine. I do prefer to use beeswax and in a pinch I have built wheels with Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. Gotta say, the beeswax and lip balm wheels built up really nice.
Old 08-24-2024, 10:14 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Many years ago, I used Wheelsmith Spoke Prep on all my spokes. Then I switched to using grease on the drive side spokes, and Spoke Prep on the non-drive spokes for a few years. Now I grease all the spokes. If the spoke are sufficiently tight, then they won't completely slacken in use, ans the nipples won't unscrew. If the spokes are unscrewing in use, then either the spokes weren't tight enough, or there are too few spokes for the rim and load.
This is what I do as well. Never had a properly tensioned wheel with greased spoke threads have a spoke loosen. Many many thousands of kilometres on all sorts of surfaces.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:50 AM

I'd say the decision to use double-sided nipples is far more significant that lubing. Once I discovered the squorx I've basically only ever used normal nipples once - only because the Pacenti Brevets were too low profile to fit the endings without them sticking out beyond he holes.
I'm not a prolific wheel builder and have built every set differently to experiment from greases, dry & the prolock etc. I can't see any diff.
Old 08-25-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I used to use Spoke Prep but never liked it.
Years ago I switched to Tef-Gel. It really helps to prevent corrosion.
Its a little messy to work with but cleans up with mineral spirits.
Tef-Gel works great for all kinds of anti corrosion use on bikes. Have been using it for a while
Old 08-25-2024, 07:31 AM

Fix is a good product for prepping the threads, I also use the clear oil Wheel Fanatyk sells for nipples when doing a build. Makes for easy adjustments and no issues.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:37 AM
Administrator

When I first started building my own wheels 10+ years ago i bought a quart of boiled linseed oil at Home Depot.

Been using that same quart ever since. I have no idea what other uses boiled linseed oil has, so it doesn't get used anywhere else.

I am also a big fan of "locking" brass nipples. All the wheels I have built for myself have stayed true and have been very reliable. I don't know if my methods are the best, but I know they work.