Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2024, 02:16 PM

Analog trainer recommendations

The OP's post on this thread got me thinking. I'm contemplating a temporary move to help one of my parents over the next year or so, and the location is not as cycling friendly as where I live. I haven't owned an indoor trainer of any kind for, geez, 10 years? But I'm coming around to the idea that indoors may be my only option for regular riding there.

So, I'm wondering what forumites think is currently the top non-electronic (I don't need it to calculate anything or connect to the internet--just ride) indoor trainer out there. Road feel and quiet would be priorities. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2024, 03:40 PM

Find yourself a used Kurt Kinetic Roadmachine for $50-$75. Check Facebook, Craigslist, etc. Shouldn't be too hard. I see them decently often and I am not in a major metro area.
Old 08-23-2024, 04:59 PM

The problem with non smart trainers is that they get boring fast. I have been riding for many years during the winter. An now with my wife’s health not being good I ride a lot indoors. I have moved through the various types of trainer they thru the years. An the smart trainers help a lot in maintaining leg strength and make the ride now boring.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:02 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Find yourself a used Kurt Kinetic Roadmachine for $50-$75. Check Facebook, Craigslist, etc. Shouldn't be too hard. I see them decently often and I am not in a major metro area.
this.. I had one of these and they are very well made, fairly quiet for a wheel-on trainer, and gave me no fuss..
Old 08-23-2024, 05:23 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
This! Pennies on the dollar. Mine has lasted over 15 years.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:29 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Kurt Kinetic Roadmachine or 1UP. There is a 1UP for sale 5 minutes from me in Chicago for $50. Search FB Chicago for 1up Bike Trainer . I can get it and drop it at a UPS store if you want.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
The problem with non smart trainers is that they get boring fast. I have been riding for many years during the winter. An now with my wife’s health not being good I ride a lot indoors. I have moved through the various types of trainer they thru the years. An the smart trainers help a lot in maintaining leg strength and make the ride now boring.
After someone posted it here, I bought a cheap music stand and a tablet. Samsung, I think. I connect the tablet to my wifi and watch cycling videos, but you can watch whatever you want - Star Wars, a lecture on differential equations, or whatever suits your fancy.

I usually start with this one. 34 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sag2Am8oe_U&t=0s
Old 08-23-2024, 05:38 PM

Rollers, the folding ones from Minoura. With a mag resistance unit, I was able to do a lot of my threshold and supra-threshold workouts on it. Really good road feel, better than what I got from most old style resistance trainers (mag or fluid).
Old 08-23-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I just checked craigslist and someone is selling a KK for $98!

I have one. Quiet, leakproof, and plenty of resistance.

I've also used a Blackburn mag trainer. Just as quiet and while not quite as realistic a resistance curve as a fluid trainer, there's plenty of resistance for strength and power work.

You'll also find rollers on the used market. If you choose to go the roller route, bypass the 4"+ diameter rollers. Get the 3" if you can as they offer a measure of resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
The problem with non smart trainers is that they get boring fast.
That depends on your mindset. I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-24-2024, 01:41 AM

Maybe not what you want, but... I found the best solution was a used spin bike. I got an older yellow Revmaster off craigslist for $200. It has a huge flywheel and really good feel, it's rock solid, totally adjustable for fit, and it's near dead quiet. It doesn't wreck my bike with sweat. And it removes the setup portion fitting the bike to the trainer- I just get on and ride it.
Old 08-24-2024, 01:55 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I can't imagine non power. in fact i still use a very old computrainer. Folks give these away, and even without a computer the controller easily cycles thru tons of program subtleties.

Other trick for me is watch some series on tv, this doubles tollorating longer sessions by far. Stargate , the wire, jag etc etc.

2 fun facts, I grafted my computrainer load generator on a Kurt rock and roll frame. And I had a 1UP briefly and although eccellent quailty, I had used trainer with power meter load generators previously and got spoiled I guess.

If starting fresh I'd lean rollers and ata tv series as mentioned.
Old 08-24-2024, 05:03 AM

I have been using Feedback Sports Omnium resistance rollers for years now. Shift gears to get more resistance. I use a power meter and my Garmin running my workout. It is comfortable as the rear end of the bike has freedom to move with you, not locked in.
Old 08-24-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

That depends on your mindset. I'll leave it at that.
I do 7000 miles indoors each year. I have stepped tru all the various types of trainers they the years. I use rollers and. My wahoo Kickr bike now.
I like riding the pro cycling routes while watching the races. I use Rouvy to do this. It good to feel how hard the race coarses are for the riders.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:19 AM

Another vote for the Feedback Omnium (with the progressive resistance). I bought it for warm-up at races, but ended up using it for all of my forced indoor sessions. I really appreciate the feel of the rear wheel not being locked down and the spindown while coasting is far more realistic than any of the more traditional wheel-on trainers I've ever used. I've done threshold and VO2 sessions on it with no issues.

As a bonus it folds up small, is lightweight, and fits into an included duffel bag. When not in use I can pack it up and slide it under the sofa in my office.
Old 08-24-2024, 02:35 PM

I have a set of hand made rollers for sale/ But they're not quiet and it needs a new belt. I preferred rollers when I rode indoors because if I got brain dead, it got dangerous.
I also have a Tacx trainer I would like to sell. It needs a power source to adjust the resistance, but it's definitely not a smart trainer.