Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2023, 07:14 AM

Halo bike at a halo price. The Aethos rides really nicely, actually.

Price notwithstanding, the abandonment of the thumb shifter would rule it out for me, but I can see the attraction. Not what I'd get for $15k - at that price, I'd go custom - but to each their own.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
Halo bike at a halo price. The Aethos rides really nicely, actually.

Price notwithstanding, the abandonment of the thumb shifter would rule it out for me, but I can see the attraction. Not what I'd get for $15k - at that price, I'd go custom - but to each their own.
Once again, the only real advantage to wireless is in the build. Once built, wireless adds nothing to the performance of the bike. BIG marketing point but no 'performance' advantage.

Like the thumb button?..Buy any other Campagnolo group..ALL others have the thumb button.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Once again, the only real advantage to wireless is in the build. Once built, wireless adds nothing to the performance of the bike. BIG marketing point but no 'performance' advantage.
Well, wireless systems have different features - whether they are advantages depends on the application. For example: A wireless system somewhat simplifies packing and unpacking travel bikes with couplers (it may help a bit with folding bikes as well). Derailleurs with snap-on batteries makes it easier to carry spare batteries, and could make it a little more convenient to charge batteries.

Quote:
Like the thumb button?..Buy any other Campagnolo group..ALL others have the thumb button.
While this is true at the moment, it may indicate the direction Campagnolo is going with their electronic shifters.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Would happily do so, but not on an S-Works Aethos: it won't take mechanical.

EDIT: don't know if the frameset is compatible with previous (12sp) EPS. Don't want to go OT, but even if you didn't love the thumb button, with EPS, you just set up the paddles to shift AXS style and used the thumb buttons for the front shifts... So I don't get the change. But anyway, back to the thread :-)

Last edited by callmeishmael; 10-08-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
My LBS has one if anyone is looking for a 56cm.
Location checks out
Old 10-08-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, if you want e-shifting, your only choice with Campagnolo is the latest SR wireless group as that is all they offer, at least on their website:

https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/roa...nic-groupsets/

Campagnolo does not list the EPS group, which had the thumb shifters. There may be NOS groups still available at some wholesalers, but Campy doesn't list it as an active, ongoing group.

Btw, of the 4 bikes I own, my favorite groups are Ultegra 11 di2, Campy Chorus 11 mechanical, Sram Red 11 etap and Campy 9 mechanical....of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 10-08-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Unfortunately, if you want e-shifting, your only choice with Campagnolo is the latest SR wireless group as that is all they offer, at least on their website:

https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/roa...nic-groupsets/

Campagnolo does not list the EPS group, which had the thumb shifters. There may be NOS groups still available at some wholesalers, but Campy doesn't list it as an active, ongoing group.

Btw, of the 4 bikes I own, my favorite groups are Ultegra 11 di2, Campy Chorus 11 mechanical, Sram Red 11 etap and Campy 9 mechanical....of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
SR and Record 11s EPS still being made. Whether or not the brainiacs at various Campagnolo distributors buy it and stock it a different ?
Old 10-08-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
SR and Record 11s EPS still being made. Whether or not the brainiacs at various Campagnolo distributors buy it and stock it a different ?
Ok. It’s interesting that Campagnolo chooses not to list SR and Record 11 EPS on its own website. Then again, of the 6 mechanical groups it lists, all are 12 speed only. Makes you wonder how they expect to people to know the 11 speed groups are even available?!

https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/roa...cal-groupsets/

Also, just saw Total Cycling carries the Centaur 11 group (cranks/bb/brakes/FD/RD/shifters) for as low as like $540 plus shipping!

https://www.totalcycling.com/KitsCon...?ModelID=25373

Good Luck

Last edited by bfd; 10-08-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:48 PM
Back At It!

was just talking to my wife about this last night.. just crazy that any bike is $15k.. and super insane that an "off the shelf" bike is that, even if it's limited to 300 units.. heck the Aethos Pro is $13k..

the discussion I had with my wife was less about the Aethos, and more about how I wonder how many folks are buying this bike on credit, along with a $80-$100k car on credit, along with a huge mortgage, and just getting by with making the minimum payments each month? I know there are a handful of folks on here that would have no issues doing all of that and still have caviar money left over, but I don't think that's the norm.. I mean, to each their own, but I just can't imagine dropping over $10k on a bike, regardless of my financial situation.. maybe if I had $100mil, but..

and, unless you're a trust fund baby, who has the ride time to do a bike like like that justice? I mean I would assume if you could afford that bike, you're working your butt off..
Old 10-08-2023, 02:25 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Your wife is patient

Maybe people prioritize large purchases and create a budget for what they want.
People can have time, expendable income and not have to put anything on credit while not being a trust fund baby.
I agree bike prices at the top end are too high but cost and value are relative.

Aethos Pro is $8k
Aethos Comp is $5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
was just talking to my wife about this last night.. just crazy that any bike is $15k.. and super insane that an "off the shelf" bike is that, even if it's limited to 300 units.. heck the Aethos Pro is $13k..

the discussion I had with my wife was less about the Aethos, and more about how I wonder how many folks are buying this bike on credit, along with a $80-$100k car on credit, along with a huge mortgage, and just getting by with making the minimum payments each month? I know there are a handful of folks on here that would have no issues doing all of that and still have caviar money left over, but I don't think that's the norm.. I mean, to each their own, but I just can't imagine dropping over $10k on a bike, regardless of my financial situation.. maybe if I had $100mil, but..

and, unless you're a trust fund baby, who has the ride time to do a bike like like that justice? I mean I would assume if you could afford that bike, you're working your butt off..
Old 10-08-2023, 02:53 PM
Back At It!

Sorry, meant to say the S-Works was $13k..

Just saying I would love to see a stat about how many, let’s say $8k plus, bikes are bought on credit.. I bet it’s more than we think.. we all have different priorities I guess..
Old 10-08-2023, 03:44 PM

Just made a similar, slightly less costly, purchase for a Colgano C68, w/SR Wireless, Campy Bora UT Ultra Wheelset. Budgeted and planned for, my first new disk brake road bike and am super happy about it. Realize it’s a ton of money, riding is my passion as are bikes. A bit perturbed by the loss of the thumb shift and honestly I believe when dialed in, nothing works better than Campy mech. The market is what it is and I was informed that EPS may be a bit difficult to come by w/the advent of the wireless. To each his/her own, life has so many options.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:42 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Sorry, meant to say the S-Works was $13k..

Just saying I would love to see a stat about how many, let’s say $8k plus, bikes are bought on credit.. I bet it’s more than we think.. we all have different priorities I guess..
Yeah it would be interesting to know. I don't think it's many but who knows, you're probably right, more than we think.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Funny you mention this - my wife and I met with our financial advisor as I get closer and closer to retiring and he was telling us about his clients who bring in 15,000 to 20,000 dollars a month and spend 3000-4000 dollars over what they're bringing in. Then they complain about their taxes!
Old 10-08-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Many vendors continue to make previous model parts for replacement purposes, even if they are not part of their current "catalogue" of products. For example, I recent bought some frame fittings for a Cervelo frame that has been out of production for a few years. Bicycle companies that make only components are a somewhat different category to those that make complete bicycles, as all their products will essentially become "replacement parts" at some point. Those 11spd EPS parts may in fact still be in production, but it may take placing a special order to actually get them.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods