Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 01:24 PM

Rock Lobster AL Road

Relatively new to the community, and biking as well. I’m 5’11 with 32” inseam and came across this listing on eBay. Need some help to see if it’ll work for me. Would be riding mostly road but was look to ride 30mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/56cm-Rock-L...-/224163098798

"56cm Rock Lobster AL Road Frame. Like new condition, some scuffs on headtube, but otherwise the paint is immaculate. Original owner, purchased from Paul Sadoff in 2016. I rode this bike lightly for 2-3 years, selling because I have other bikes. Clears a 28c tire with room to spare. Comes with a seat post binder. No headset, no fork (I rode this with an enve fork). Top tube measures 56cm center of seat tube to center of top tube. Seat tube is 57.5/58cm from center of BB to the seat post binder. Good for some one with longer legs, head tube provides plenty of stack, run it with a 110 or 120mm stem and call it good."

Don’t know what he means by “Good for some one with longer legs, head tube provides plenty of stack, run it with a 110 or 120mm stem and call it good."

Thanks
Old 09-25-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post

Don’t know what he means by “Good for some one with longer legs, head tube provides plenty of stack, run it with a 110 or 120mm stem and call it good."

Thanks
It just means the bike is taller than it is long, since the bike is described as a 58 seat tube x 56 top tube. This is generally better for long leg, short torso folks who need a tall head tube. The 11-12 cm stem is just a recommendation to run a longer stem if you need to make up for the shorter top tube.

He leaves some critical geometry factors out of the listing like:

- What's the head tube length?
- Is the top tube sloping?
- If the top tube slopes, is the top tube length stated as actual or effective?

A build sheet or even a picture of the bike built up would allow us to zero in on this info, but the listing is lacking.

Also, $100 for shipping a bare frame is absurd. But whatever, it's an auction, and hopefully the winner gets a good deal even with the added $100.

Cool frame regardless!
Old 09-25-2020, 02:04 PM

Re:

The seat tube is being measured center to top, center to center would be more like 52/53 cm, with the 56cm top tube. I have pretty much the same dimensions as you... 5'11 x 31". Pretty sure this is a slightly sloping top tube design, you shouldn't have any problems fitting.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
The seat tube is being measured center to top, center to center would be more like 52/53 cm, with the 56cm top tube. I have pretty much the same dimensions as you... 5'11 x 31". Pretty sure this is a slightly sloping top tube design, you shouldn't have any problems fitting.
Yeah, but let's say the top tube slopes. How much? It appears the seller is measuring the actual top tube as 56 cm, putting the effective top tube longer depending on the amount of slope. Could be as much as 57-57.5 cm effective.

Still, I think a 5'10" person would fit this frame. If you're picky there are still too many unknowns.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:33 PM

Tks guys appreciate all the feedback! The shipping quote could be supplied by eBay, don’t know how say he has in it
Old 09-25-2020, 07:05 PM

The shipping can be (or it used to be able to be) determined by the seller, to allow for "handling/boxing" fees.

In the past, eBay only charged percentage fees on the sale price of the item and not the shipping, so it became a common dodge to jack up the price of shipping as a way to net more money. That's not the case anymore, but the tradition seems to have lingered.

In the past, I have reached out to sellers and offered to provide my own shipping label and gone through BikeFlights or ShipBikes. Most times they took me up on the offer; sometimes not.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:16 PM

Yeah most times, the shipping seems to be pre determined based on an eBay metric? If shipping seems too expensive, I would message the seller and ask if there is an alternative shipping option. Most times, they would revert back with a more reasonable quote.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 09:51 PM

That bike is tall for someone w/ a 32in inseam.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 PM

What bike are you riding now, OP? What is your saddle height and saddle to bar drop?
Old 09-26-2020, 06:13 AM

This would be my first bike, I’m an avid trail runner, looking to switch up my training and have a commuter.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
That bike is tall for someone w/ a 32in inseam.
My thoughts exactly