Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:25 AM

Since the low weight was part of your internal valuation, and the seller misrepresented the items weight then the only fair recourse is to return for a full refund

Partial refunds for such a contentious transaction will never provide closure for either party, and coming to a fair partial resolution almost never works. In the wise words of mike Ehrmentraut

39236217-7508-4171-85CC-FAB28211D1C8.jpg
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM

If it was that important to me that a frame weigh a certain amount, and it was off by that much, I'd just ask for the refund. Best case is split the shipping. Life's short.

I've only bought one item here that was seriously worse than described and I sent it back. I think I paid for the shipping, just to get it done. The kind of bikes we ride and discuss here, $30 over time is just noise.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Would you be as jocular and "philosophical" if you were on the receiving end, receiving something that is not as described?
1_There is no titanium frame w/ that weight.
2_ That kind of weight difference makes no difference when you ride it.
3_ Build it.
4_ How does the frame ride?
5_ Ride it a lot. And then some more. Enjoy your new bike.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Vendor

I completely disagree with all those that say the 1lb is insignificant. It is a characteristic of the item being purchased and it is off by a good 25+%, much more if you're taking just the frame.

We wouldn't accept that variance with many other things we buy used just because some individuals think weight is a "weenie" thing.

Now, if you didn't buy this bike with weight as a principle point of buyers interest. Then I wouldn't worry about it, if you're happy about everything else. Move on.

BUT, if you DID buy this because you wanted to build a lightweight bike, well, then I would send it back because getting refunded $100 or whatever, ain't going to make it lighter. And if this is WHY you bought it, you're under absolutely NO obligation to accept it because some forum people say "oh, big deal, whatever..."

975gram titanium bikes in Medium almost don't exist, so you should have asked for proof. That said, the seller, when being asked again to CONFIRM the weight should have been accurate and measured or disclosed as a very poor approximation.

Fault on both sides. Split return shipping. I say send it back if it's important enough to start a thread about...

Last edited by rain dogs; 09-25-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:37 AM
I need you cool.

Clearly the seller's scale was not "legal for trade"

Caveat emptor....but, ask for a refund.

PS - I suppose some people buy bikes based on weight.....
Old 09-25-2020, 10:39 AM

Also for what it’s worth I would be very disturbed if I bought a frame set and it was a pound heavier than expected. I know everyone is like oh take a dump instead or whatever but some of us aren’t trying to ride a 20+lb boat anchor of a road bike.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post

I think scale accuracy is potentially the issue. Lots of the small "luggage" scales that people use to weigh frames can be quite inaccurate (see reviews of them on Amazon).
Old 09-25-2020, 10:42 AM

You cutteth me to the quicketh!
Only my Firefly breaks the 20 pound barrier, at about 17 pounds. Bob Jackson, Dave Anderson, Casati, and even the Nagasawa fixed gear road trainer (all steel frames and forks) all over 20. No wonder I'm so slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
but some of us aren’t trying to ride a 20+lb boat anchor of a road bike.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post

Def. buying weed from that guy.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:50 AM

Was the seller a lawyer?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:52 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
I think scale accuracy is potentially the issue. Lots of the small "luggage" scales that people use to weigh frames can be quite inaccurate (see reviews of them on Amazon).
I have a luggage scale that tells me my Serotta Legend at 60cm, Record and Eurus wheelset weighs 17 lbs....sure it does.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:53 AM

Have you even talked with the seller about this?
Talk to the seller first.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Also for what it’s worth I would be very disturbed if I bought a frame set and it was a pound heavier than expected. I know everyone is like oh take a dump instead or whatever but some of us aren’t trying to ride a 20+lb boat anchor of a road bike.
Sorry that my original response was a tad out of line.

FWIW, I normally don't care about mass that much. I don't do road racing any more (just ITTs), and none of my current bikes is "svelte".

My TT bike, which I have used for seven years and will continue to use (until I could no longer get in position or when it's no longer serviceable), is a tad over 9 kg or 20 lbs.

My current road bike (Felt AR2) is at 7.9 kg ish, and while I could shave mass by getting lighter wheels, I prefer the ~1,700 g wheelset on there.

This is the only bike which I wanted something light. Not that it would be that light in training mode, but that it would be something nice to have.

Makes me look at the Seven Axiom I'm contemplating to sell in a whole new light (1,700 grams for F/F/HS).
Old 09-25-2020, 10:57 AM
LateStart

Throw a party!

At this point in 2020 your *biggest* problem is a bike frame 1lb too heavy!

Roughly 99.999999999% of the world would trade places with you.

I'm not being critical of the conversation, but sometimes a pause to count your blessings is helpful.

Perhaps take advantage of the Day of Atonement...
Old 09-25-2020, 11:01 AM

unless return and refund terms have been pre-negotiated, request a refund and split cost of return shipping. if shouldering half of the cost of shipping is too much for your to bare then you've taken it beyond the transaction you're standing on the principal of and have made it personal.

try to do it humanely via direct communication before resorting to paypal's means of action.
Closed Thread