Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 10:51 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Content, makes one want to have been there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Thanks, but maybe the real photographers can tell me how i can improve them? Many of the photos the "blue" of the sky seems so washed out and hazy, which was not the case at all, the actual sky was a very vibrant, popping blue. Maybe it's my camera, but i think i can do better!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:34 AM

Of all the new bikes, the new 3T offerings really speak to me.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Interestingly, and informed by these experiences, i have a milestone birthday coming up in 2021, and i will be commissioning an all steel bicycle that will rival modern carbon - that's the challenge/plan anyway.
So Rob English, then?
Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Easy to forget it’s colorful and cooling down elsewhere in the world. Meanwhile 105F/80F for the next 7 days here...
Old 09-24-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Easy to forget it’s colorful and cooling down elsewhere in the world. Meanwhile 105F/80F for the next 7 days here...
I thought the same thing. We are still 2 months away from the color change in the South. At least this tropical moisture has us somewhat comfortable in the temperature department.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
I don't know anything about this particular structure, but dry stone construction is a wonderful New England craft that is still practiced today. I visited the Stone Trust in Dummerston VT last year and learned a lot about it. They offer classes and certification--it's quite an amazing art and a wonderful place to visit! It's located on a farm with amazing heirloom apples.

https://thestonetrust.org/
that's really cool David, thanks for pointing this out!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:18 PM

A shout out to Yorkshire as well in this respect. It has fascinated me since I first visited as a kid to go hiking with my dad. Hundreds and hundreds of miles of wall that didn't use any kind of compound to bind the stones together... amazing.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but maybe the real photographers can tell me how i can improve them? Many of the photos the "blue" of the sky seems so washed out and hazy, which was not the case at all, the actual sky was a very vibrant, popping blue. Maybe it's my camera, but i think i can do better!
Dynamic range, black point, polarization, etc. It's a deep, perilous, and expensive rabbit hole. Save your money for your rides.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:39 PM

Your carbon bike with carbon components beat this bike in every regard... except blowing up catastrophically at the tail end of the ride leaving you SOL

Seriously though, I get it, but I wonder how the Merckx would ride in comparison with modern parts, ergo shifters, etc. I get tired of downtube shifters and it would be the same regardless of if they were on an old steel bike or carbon wonderbike.

Great pics and good on ya for going back and getting er' done.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Mostly it is the optical effect called "polarizing" which is played by the angle of light or something like that. There is the right angle of sunlight that brings the deep blue. The clearer the sky, the higher up the mountains and the narrower it gets.

In general i say: shoot in raw format and treat on photoshop till you get the color as you imagined. It´s a heavier file but has more depth to play with.

A 1k camera and lens like the small canons can give you good raw and good control. Canon and Nikon have richer color than fuji and i hear, sony.

Last edited by colker; 09-24-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, and informed by these experiences, i have a milestone birthday coming up in 2021, and i will be commissioning an all steel bicycle that will rival modern carbon - that's the challenge/plan anyway.
I really don't think that will that hard to do. I think the frame is a very small part of the equation. So many of my vintage steel "woke up" with just the simple addition of a nice new set of modern wheels. Maybe they really make a difference or maybe just the fact that they feel better and it makes me ride harder is the difference, who know.

One things for certain. Ain't know bloated hunk of plastic bike ever going to look as beautiful as your Mercks!
Old 09-24-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I really don't think that will that hard to do. I think the frame is a very small part of the equation. So many of my vintage steel "woke up" with just the simple addition of a nice new set of modern wheels. Maybe they really make a difference or maybe just the fact that they feel better and it makes me ride harder is the difference, who know.

One things for certain. Ain't know bloated hunk of plastic bike ever going to look as beautiful as your Mercks!
Agree there!

Old 09-24-2020, 05:59 PM

I'm with some of the other replies here: You're not comparing apples to apples.

Put the same parts on both frames and THEN start talking.

But since that's too expensive, would you please at least actually give us the details of your comparison?

And there's absolutely no way your carbon wonderbike has as gorgeous a paint job as your Merckx.

And yes; the photos are beautiful.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 PM

Lovely scenery and for those who haven't read, i think this is an apposite time to post this wonderful read:

http://kirkframeworks.com/2019/04/15...s-kirk-onesto/
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxyris View Post
Lovely scenery and for those who haven't read, i think this is an apposite time to post this wonderful read:

http://kirkframeworks.com/2019/04/15...s-kirk-onesto/
And another, cause I'm all about fairness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4JA...CyclingNetwork

And by coincidence....meet another of my old steel beast.

And I totally volunteer to test one of David's new bikes against any or all of my old steel if someone wants to send me one.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-24-2020 at 08:51 PM.