Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Jeep stuck on MTB trail in CA

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36651/...hbey0_b2pgHvtI

Just saw this in my social media feed- anyone here with local knowledge of that trail?
Old 09-23-2020, 09:22 AM

That is wild!
Old 09-23-2020, 09:27 AM
slower than you

One...good...push.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Shifty Member

Looks to be a really easy way to get it down. Everyone get on one side and push.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Wink

That unlucky driver needs a $ub$tantial helicopter to get up there pronto.
Otherwise a big windstorm is going to push it over, as was alluded in article.
Maybe we are seeing the most complex insurance claim scam ever! LOL.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:26 AM

One of my favorite MTB rides here has a few shared sections that Jeep guys like to use....most use the dirt double track and then exit off when the trail turns to true single track. One guy apparently didn't get the memo and he stayed on the bike trail that works it's way into a very steep side hill. I came across his off roader on the side hill being supported by a small tree. It looked like he tried to climb the side hill slightly to get above the tree and he got stuck against it.

I dismounted and walked around it and all was fine.

A few weeks later I rode that trail again and as I neared that section I wondered what I'd find. When I got to the spot the vehicle was gone and something looked different. I then saw the stump of the small tree that had been cut off. Lastly I noticed that the balled-up red lump that was the Jeep was WAY down the slope. It looked like someone cut the tree either trying to free the thing or to watch it barrel roll down the hill. In the end the thing rolled down and was totaled. Brush as grown around it over the years but it's still there and will be forever.

Explaining that one to the insurance company was probably fun.

dave
Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 AM

I'm envisioning the guy cutting the tree, somewhat like the cartoons where the guy is sitting on the away side of the branch as he cuts it off with his hand saw.
The pisser about this situation are the fluids that eventually exit the vehicle and enter the ground water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
One of my favorite MTB rides here has a few shared sections that Jeep guys like to use....most use the dirt double track and then exit off when the trail turns to true single track. One guy apparently didn't get the memo and he stayed on the bike trail that works it's way into a very steep side hill. I came across his off roader on the side hill being supported by a small tree. It looked like he tried to climb the side hill slightly to get above the tree and he got stuck against it.

I dismounted and walked around it and all was fine.

A few weeks later I rode that trail again and as I neared that section I wondered what I'd find. When I got to the spot the vehicle was gone and something looked different. I then saw the stump of the small tree that had been cut off. Lastly I noticed that the balled-up red lump that was the Jeep was WAY down the slope. It looked like someone cut the tree either trying to free the thing or to watch it barrel roll down the hill. In the end the thing rolled down and was totaled. Brush as grown around it over the years but it's still there and will be forever.

Explaining that one to the insurance company was probably fun.

dave
Old 09-23-2020, 10:37 AM

BITD, I used to "ghost ride" my MTB down really steep sections. Roll it down the embankment, scramble down behind it on my butt, pick it up at the bottom and ride on.

Maybe oughtta try it with the jeep.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 AM

Someone did that on one of my normal loops in Golden last year too. Jeep was pretty tagged up by the time they got it down. Also the tiny rock the driver got stuck on is pretty funny.

Last edited by Jaybee; 09-23-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:20 AM

I bet many of us have a story about seeing a Jeep stuck in out-of-the-way places in our neck of the woods.

My local version for Indiana cornfields: we have a lot of gravel roads that follow river valleys (with creeks on one side and farmland on the other). These often flood in winter and spring. Last year, on a very sloppy gravel ride, we came across a Jeep that had tried to bypass the flooded road through the muddy farm field but got stuck. Not dangerous like on a mountain, but that must have been a PITA to extricate.

Last edited by mcallen; 09-23-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 09-23-2020, 11:41 AM

That’s close to me, maybe I should go find it
Old 09-23-2020, 12:14 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

The most likely scenario will be some bikers rolling it down and out of the way.

I'll be looking for that video...
Old 09-23-2020, 12:17 PM

Lynn Woods, north of Boston, sometime in the 90's

I rode there a lot because my GF at the time lived nearby. One day on a ride, there was a brand new Jeep, apparently stolen from a nearby dealer on rte 1, stuck in the mud on one of the trails. This would have been a tough place to get to, but when you're drunk and don't own the vehicle, what do you care? I have no idea what eventually happened to it.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:38 PM

Everybody has different interests but I've always gotten a kick out some of these offroad guys.

A Jeep has a point.. it gets you down a superbly easy offroad trails fine, stuff that's basically unpaved road.

But when guys spend 10s of thousands of dollars to try and get them to go down a trail that MTB or a set of boots is a much better choice for it's all kind of bizarre.

I had a roommate who was big into this, I'd hang out with the crew from time to time and everyone had a really hard time getting it when they told me about their multi-day trip and thousands of dollars of mods to make it work... and the trail was something a hiker could get down in a few hours and a bicyclist could get down in less than an hour.

It's weirder here in the northeast cause everything is covered in trees and a jeep's not fitting down anything unless someone is going ahead of it clearcutting the trees. I get it out in the west there's way more open terrain a Jeep can get through without a construction project ahead of it.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:03 PM

Man that is sketch. Nothing to winch off of and no way I'd park my truck up top and try to pull it straight. Helicopter ride...