Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 06:56 PM

The zefal x4 i carry is 30+ years old.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 PM

Riding 6gap Century in a couple days, sure not going to carry a frame pump up those mountains
Old 09-25-2020, 07:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Riding 6gap Century in a couple days, sure not going to carry a frame pump up those mountains
prob would not be able to get up because of all the weight.

but really... frame pumps are also great against aggressive dogs and people
Old 09-26-2020, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
Do the right thing by the environment and buy yourself a decent frame pump.
And a patch kit..get tired of seeing dead tubes(and CO2) along the road..

Quote:
I spent far too much time on the side of the road through the winters of the 80s and 90s trying to pump spare tubular tires with a Silca Imperio pump that would blow apart if I didn’t hold it together. I was so appreciative when CO2 cartridges could be used.
You didn't need MORE CO2, you needed a better pump..BTW, My Impero, that I carry on my Merckx everyday I ride it, doesn't 'blow apart'..even after more than a decade...
Quote:
How many CO2? Do the math please..those few grams won't make any difference at all. Running out of CO2, and getting stuck, well, that will....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-26-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. I use CO2 because I have a health condition which results in weak finger muscles. I can still ride but the effort it would take to get significant air into a tube would be taxing.

C02 is super convenient. I’ll look into frame pumps to see if those are easier.

The cartridges are metal so I always assumed they’d be recycled. I never thought about the environmental impact.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:33 AM

plant one tree and you have absorbed up to 48 pounds of CO2 a year. I planted hundreds of trees working on a forestry block and I cycle instead of driving. CO2 for emergencies guilt free.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am sorry but no they don't.

1. They are the best method to put air in your tires. Faster than mini pump, way more reliable than dumb CO2 and better for the environment.
2. They look amazing and makes you look like a classy gentleman/woman.
3. When your friend has a flat, you will be the hero that has a nice pump to help her/him out... or anyone on the road, tubed or tubeless, it does not matter.

Not only you are carrying 2 CO2s which might or might not work when you need them, but you also carry a tubolito which is known for being absolute garbage. Also now that you bragged about how you have not had many flats in the past 2 years you are going to double flat.... you only have 1 tubolito but it will probably fail before it can even be inflated. However your buddy not only has a couple of proper tubes (sure, it does not weight 19.99999999 grams) and happens to carry a nice Topeak mastesblaster (not the crappy $5000 silcas) which is not only ugly and always on display on the TT but works so damn well and is the envy of the town since they are now discontinued. Your tire will be fixed and yall will ride to the sunset.
Someone needs to teach you how to use a CO2 cartridge properly. Ive never had one fail. You just need the proper dispenser. The ones with the valves work the best. Can’t remember the name of the company, but I believe they are out of Portland. Beautifully designed and very functional.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:04 PM

I use a Shimano Pro Team Carbon pocket pump that weighs 39g but does take about 5 minutes to pump the tire to 75psi.

For cartridges, I never needed more than the 12g cartridge, which is cheaper and weighs only half of what a 16g cartridge weighs.
The threadless 12g cartridges are much, much cheaper yet, but need a contained style of inflator that adds some bulk to bag or pocket.

https://www.gas-depot.com/12-gram-co...tridges-5-pack
Old 09-26-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycyclist247 View Post

The cartridges are metal so I always assumed they’d be recycled. I never thought about the environmental impact.
Steel should be recyclable. If you Google, you’ll say a lot of sites saying that this is exactly the reason you should recycle the cartridges.

In practice, I think not all municipalities or counties may accept pressurized cans curbside. If they don’t, then I would wonder how the recycling plants react to a CO2 cartridge - do they assume it’s pressurized and throw it away? I would hope not, but I don’t know how often the recycling plant workers see empty CO2 cartridges.

Maybe the bigger issue is that in my apartment, the city cut us off from the recycling program and took away our recycling dumpsters because people were throwing non-recyclable items into them. It’s a mix of some people being optimists, some people not giving a darn, and some people simply not knowing. Recycling rules are complex. Anyway, the recycling people apparently told our management they frequently had to discard the entire dumpster because too much garbage was in it. So, not all of the stuff we put in recycling may actually make it to a plant. If it does make it to a plant, then I would assume they run a huge electromagnet to get out anything ferromagnetic, so I would assume your cartridges get attracted to that.

Now, I am not saying this to shame you into getting a frame pump, particularly considering you have a medical condition. I am saying this because I’ve generally become a pessimist about the state of the world. However, one person using a few CO2 cartridges here and there won’t be the margin of the world ending, particularly because the cartridges should get recycled if they make it to the plant.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:44 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
never tried the old impero but if its anything like the new ones, its hot garbage.
Paulo, I wonder if maybe you just got a lemon — after several years of using a Lezyne mini-pump, which worked well, I bought a new Impero and it is fantastic. Not that much effort and I can get my tires to full pressure. Also, my 40 year old Impero still works (not nearly as well as this new one).

I have bought (and recycled) CO2 cartridges in the past but not any more, primarily because of all the reasons you gave. Frame pumps FTW.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Paulo, I wonder if maybe you just got a lemon — after several years of using a Lezyne mini-pump, which worked well, I bought a new Impero and it is fantastic. Not that much effort and I can get my tires to full pressure. Also, my 40 year old Impero still works (not nearly as well as this new one).

I have bought (and recycled) CO2 cartridges in the past but not any more, primarily because of all the reasons you gave. Frame pumps FTW.
maybe but I have heard a lot of other people that were not happy with theirs. Thew problem is that it does not have a locking system like the topeak where you can lock the pump to the valve. With the impero you have to use force to stick it in there and pump away which usually left my valves all bent and felt like a task. My other problem is that it costs $180 when the topeak masterblaster cost me $30 and is a better system.

Now as far as looks and construction the impero is tops (it is a bit heavy though )
Old 09-26-2020, 03:29 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
(it is a bit heavy though )
the better to arm yourself! (yes, it is heavy)

I guess that after so many years of using the old Impero my technique for engaging the valve is well-practiced. But one of the things I really like about my Lezyne mini pump is the screw-on hose, integrating that design into a full size pump would be good.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 AM

Road morph g is the bees knees
Old 09-27-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I use a Shimano Pro Team Carbon pocket pump that weighs 39g but does take about 5 minutes to pump the tire to 75psi.

For cartridges, I never needed more than the 12g cartridge, which is cheaper and weighs only half of what a 16g cartridge weighs.
The threadless 12g cartridges are much, much cheaper yet, but need a contained style of inflator that adds some bulk to bag or pocket.

https://www.gas-depot.com/12-gram-co...tridges-5-pack
Have you found a good inflator that works with threadless cartridges? I had an old one from Genuine Innovations I think but it seems to have been discontinued.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:26 AM

I know some people think there is a big difference, but I have used CO2 cartridges for BB guns and they work fine, if you don't need threaded. Wally World has 40 12G for $16.71.