Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Scott Foil rear Derailleur Cable Replacement

Hey gang - a friend of mine broke his RD cable inside the frame last night on a ride. He is no mechanic, in fact I'd say the cable failure is a function of general neglect of the bike's maintenance. Anyway, he asked me if I could get it replaced for him ahead of a big ride Saturday. Does anyone know if housing runs full length internally? Do you have to pull BB to route through chainstay? It's a PF86 BB and I don't have the tools. Thoughts before I get it home and beat my head against the wall. Thanks in advance. GP
Old 09-24-2020, 12:32 PM

Housing stops at the stops IIRC (housing does not run internally)
I don’t recall if you HAVE to pull the bottom bracket but this isn’t a super easy cable run.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Hey gang - a friend of mine broke his RD cable inside the frame last night on a ride. He is no mechanic, in fact I'd say the cable failure is a function of general neglect of the bike's maintenance. Anyway, he asked me if I could get it replaced for him ahead of a big ride Saturday. Does anyone know if housing runs full length internally? Do you have to pull BB to route through chainstay? It's a PF86 BB and I don't have the tools. Thoughts before I get it home and beat my head against the wall. Thanks in advance. GP
Which version of the Foil? And do you have the internal cable routing tools?

Can't speak for 2nd gen (2016 and later), but it it's 1st gen, you should inform your friend that he should pony up and pay a shop to do it. There is no internal shifter housing of any kind in that frame (nor guides of any kind). Pulling cable will be easy; installing a new one requires removal of BB if you don't have the right tools.

Literally took me more than 3 hours the first (and only time) I did it. The next time I needed the cable replaced, I dropped it off at the shop and was very happy to pay $20 for the service fee.

ETA: had there been an intact shifter cable, one could encase that cable in a very fine sheathing that extends between the cable entry points. Basically, cut cable at RD, and line the existing cable with the sheathing, then push the sheathing through the frame (with the in-place cable as a guide). Then, pull the existing old cable and install a new one. However, this won't work in the situation described (breakage inside the frame).

Last edited by echappist; 09-24-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
Housing stops at the stops IIRC (housing does not run internally)
I don’t recall if you HAVE to pull the bottom bracket but this isn’t a super easy cable run.
That figures. Looks like a two pint project....................
Old 09-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Which version of the Foil? And do you have the internal cable routing tools?

Can't speak for 2nd gen (2016 and later), but it it's 1st gen, you should inform your friend that he should pony up and pay a shop to do it. There is no internal shifter housing of any kind in that frame (nor guides of any kind). Pulling cable will be easy; installing a new one requires removal of BB if you don't have the right tools.

Literally took me more than 3 hours the first (and only time) I did it. The next time I needed the cable replaced, I dropped it off at the shop and was very happy to pay $20 for the service fee.
Do not have the tools. I've had two Scott Plasmas and they actually had housing run full length, but still a bit awkward. I suppose I'll tidy it up for him, pull the cable, and tell him hit the shop and beg for emergency assistance. TY guys.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:18 PM

Dental Floss and a vacuum are your friend!
Should be the same as the Addict that I ride, did this back in June and took 30 minutes including derailleur adjustment.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
That figures. Looks like a two pint project....................
Spending the first 60 years of my life in the Saratoga area, I wish you luck in finding two good pints! You need to go north to Paradox Lake to find a real beer, one of the reasons I’m in Northern Colorado now!
Old 09-26-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
Spending the first 60 years of my life in the Saratoga area, I wish you luck in finding two good pints! You need to go north to Paradox Lake to find a real beer, one of the reasons I’m in Northern Colorado now!
Not sure when you moved away, but Frog Alley Brewery in Schenectady and Wolf Hollow in Glenville are excellent. Frog Alley about three years in biz, and Wolf Hollow about eight years.

On the original topic, my friend brought the bike to a shop and the tech said it was the biggest PITA cable run he'd ever done. And then, I got a call from him...........my small ring is bent, have you got one I could buy? Love him, but..........