Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 07:23 PM

In praise of my gravel bike

I have been a roadie pretty much my whole adult life. I dabbled in MTB but gave up after injuring myself too much Then, a couple years ago, I bought a gravel bike, an Argon 18 Dark Matter:

It took me a while to get it set up the way I wanted it, but once I did that, it opened up so many doors to new experiences for me. We have access to really nice gravel roads about an hour in any direction from Atlanta, including some in the North Georgia mountains where I get to see views like these:

I realize I could have done these all along on a hardtail MTB, but most of my rides are on the pavement at least 20% of the time and the gravel bike works really well in these situations. I imagine climbing the backside of Unicoi Gap or bombing down Wolfpen Gap (for those familiar with these well-known GA climbs) would not be as much fun on a MTB

A few things I have learned along the way:

- Big tires are good. For now, I am very happy on WTB Resolute 42c tires which work great off-road and roll reasonably well on pavement. I might try Rene Herse 700x48c tires next.
- Tubeless is a must on gravel (unless you enjoy fixing flats all the time).
- Brooks Cambium saddle, along with a Syntace P6 Hi-Flex seatpost, works really well to absorb vibrations. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference but it is quite noticable (I switched from a Fizik Aliante).
- Redshift Sports Shockstop stem is amazing, every gravel bike should have one.
- Hydraulic discs are so nice in these conditions. I can't imagine coming down some of the gravel mountain descents on any type of rim brake. Plus they make switching wheels so easy.
- A gravel bike does NOT replace a proper road bike (though this one comes pretty darn close when I switch out the wheels to a set with Conti GP5000 28c tires).

My gravel bike has transformed my riding. If you have access to gravel roads and have the means to get a gravel bike, I highly recommend it. I have gotten three of my riding buddies hooked on as well, and every time I share pictures from our rides with the local cycling club, there is more and more interest so I think our group will keep growing

Last edited by fa63; 09-25-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:55 PM

My favorite genre of bikes! The places they can take you while still being able to travel regular roads is really my favorite thing about them. Hardtails are a bit better for exploration in the woods, but once you hit the pavement it just cannot compare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 07:59 PM

You forgot Hogpen
Old 09-25-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I have been a roadie pretty much my whole adult life. I dabbled in MTB but gave up after injuring myself too much Then, a couple years ago, I bought my first gravel bike, an Argon 18 Dark Matter:

It took me a while to get it set up the way I wanted it, but once I did that, it opened up so many doors to new experiences for me. We have access to really nice gravel roads about an hour in any direction from Atlanta, including some in the North Georgia mountains where I get to see views like these:

I realize I could have done these all along on a hardtail MTB, but most of my rides are on the pavement at least 20% of the time and the gravel bike works really well in these situations. I imagine climbing the backside of Unicoi Gap or bombing down Wolfpen Gap (for those familiar with these well-known GA climbs) would not be as much fun on a MTB

A few things I have learned along the way:

- Big tires are good. For now, I am very happy on WTB Resolute 42c tires which work great off-road and roll reasonably well on pavement. I might try Rene Herse 700x48c tires next.
- Tubeless is a must on gravel (unless you enjoy fixing flats all the time).
- Brooks Cambium, along with a Syntace P6 Hi-Flex seatpost, works really well to absorb vibrations. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference but it is certainly noticable (I switched from a Fizik Aliante).
- Redshift Sports Shockstop stem is amazing, every gravel bike should have one.
- Hydraulic discs are so nice in these conditions. I can't imagine coming down some of the gravel mountain descents on any type of rim brake. Plus they make switching wheels so easy.
- A gravel bike does NOT replace a proper road bike (though this one comes pretty darn close when I switch out the wheels to a set with Conti GP5000 28c tires).

My gravel bike has transformed my riding. If you have access to gravel roads and have the means to get a gravel bike, I highly recommend it. I have gotten three of my riding buddies hooked on as well, and every time I share pictures from our rides with the local cycling club, there is more and more interest so I think our group will keep growing
Yes! Yes! Yes ... to all that! Excerpt possibly the last one. I have 35c tires on my Alliance right now, and even for strict road rides, I keep reaching for it over my race rocket Firefly. It’s just so much effin fun!!!

And pourquoi pas? For my name is Pierre. Pictured. My beard has its own Instagram page. My forearms look like a cartographer’s wet dream. Even my sweat is sinewy. As I reach the crest of a grueling quad-scorching dirt climb, with my bike caked in earth and perspiration, my phone rings.

Who could it be? Francois and Jacques begging to do another double century in the Italian Alps? The lovely and mysterious Francesca hoping I can swing by the cafe for a some espressos and banter?

Mais non. Ma compagne. She wants me to swing by Trader Joe’s to buy some milk. And don’t forget to make it whole milk. Ah, c’est la vie.

But my gravel bike takes me to some really cool places. Mentally and physically
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5304DCAF-F2F7-4B37-ACEA-58FA392CB599.jpeg (92.1 KB, 403 views)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Nice looking bike, and well thought out with regards how much you ride road and gravel. I have an eesilk post on my bike and it does a nice job of smoothing the road.

And yes, and how could you forget Hogpen.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:09 AM

Wow those pictures are calling to me.

Too bad I'm in a 1bd apartment and my wife refuses to let me keep more than 1 bike on our walls!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2020, 12:15 AM

Gravel bikes are awesome!
Old 09-26-2020, 12:33 AM

Damn funny Josh.

I need to grow a beard.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:48 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Damn funny Josh.

I need to grow a beard.
Will help to keep you a bit warmer on those cold winter rides.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
(...) I realize I could have done these all along on a hardtail MTB, but most of my rides are on the pavement at least 20% of the time and the gravel bike works really well in these situations. (...)
Thanks for the inspiring post with the wonderful pictures!

Last edited by dgauthier; 09-26-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
(...) Mais non. Ma compagne. She wants me to swing by Trader Joe’s to buy some milk. And don’t forget to make it whole milk. Ah, c’est la vie. (...)
Hilarious! POTD.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:22 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Ma compagne. She wants me to swing by Trader Joe’s to buy some milk. And don’t forget to make it whole milk. Ah, c’est la vie.
Le lait? Non, non - du vin!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:11 PM

Ha, it is not that I forgot Hogpen, it is just that I haven't found any gravel roads (yet) that would lead me to the summit or the base of it. I did ride it recently on my gravel bike though (with road wheels/tires), and it didn't exactly hold me back

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
You forgot Hogpen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Nice looking bike, and well thought out with regards how much you ride road and gravel. I have an eesilk post on my bike and it does a nice job of smoothing the road.

And yes, and how could you forget Hogpen.

Last edited by fa63; 09-30-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:37 PM

man, i need to get a gravel bike for some of these epic rides