Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 07:39 AM

recommend short ride north of Mystic CT

Have an car appt at dealer in Seekonk, MA, Sat. afternoon, then headed to New London, CT for the night. RI is not on MA's approved COVID states list, so can't ride there. Once I cross into CT, where's a beautiful 15-20 mile loop? Can be all pavement or dirt, just tell me what bike to bring

Edit: What about MTB trails in Bluff Point State Park?

Last edited by NHAero; 09-23-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:18 AM
slower than you

You should take the ferry over to Block Island.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:23 AM

I rode Bluff for the first time last week and the parts I was on were not technical, but fast and fun to cruise. I was on my rigid 29er but could have brought the CX bike.

There were some more tech parts but my buddy was out of shape and didn't want to mess with rocks; I never saw how bad it was though.

While not exactly NL, maybe give a call to Pedal Power in Essex 860-347-3776 and talk to those guys. I'm sure they can point you in a better direction.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 AM

Cool idea, except I don't think i'll have the luxury of that amount of time before it gets dark, and Block Island is in RI, so I'm supposed to quarantine to enter MA after being in RI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
You should take the ferry over to Block Island.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:38 AM

Check the route generator on strava.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Thank you, I checked RidewithGPS, since that is what I subscribe to, and there are definitely a bunch of options! I'm fishing for someone here who really knows the area, to supplement and improve on the online routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Check the route generator on strava.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Thank you, I checked RidewithGPS, since that is what I subscribe to, and there are definitely a bunch of options! I'm fishing for someone here who really knows the area, to supplement and improve on the online routes.
I've had decent luck with the route generator on strava because it basically pulls the most common roads that cyclists use and connects them. I'm trying to venture out on longer rides now and going to use some of their routes over the next few days.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:00 PM

this is sorta near by and there area lot of tributary routes that include it.
https://www.traillink.com/trail/air-...te-park-trail/
Old 09-23-2020, 01:39 PM

I think you're mistaken with respect to quarantine rules. You usually have to quarantine for extended stays, not for short ones, shopping trips, etc. I live a few miles from Seekonk and people constantly pass back and forth between RI and MA for work, etc. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Big thanks to Providence College for jacking up the RI numbers and, because the state's population is so small, putting us over the critical 10 per 100k number so we're on the travel watch lists again...
Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 PM

This is what is posted on MA web site under the list of exemptions. I didn't feel stopping for a bike ride conforms with the intent, but it's surely debatable. Since I'm headed to CT anyway, simplest case is stay in the car through RI. Heck, it's not like driving across TX

Transitory travel: This includes people who are passing through Massachusetts and permits travelers to drive through the State or to connect to their airplane, bus or train, or to stop at a highway rest stop, but this exception extends only so long as is reasonably required for the traveler to complete their transit, make any necessary airplane, bus, or train connection, or make use of travel services such as at a highway rest stop.

Persons Commuting for Work or School: People who regularly commute, at least weekly, outside of Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work or any person who regularly commutes, at least weekly into Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work; provided that in either case, this exception applies only to and from the person’s residence and place of work or school. Workers or students who travel to any place that is not their home state for personal or leisure reasons cannot rely on this exemption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
I think you're mistaken with respect to quarantine rules. You usually have to quarantine for extended stays, not for short ones, shopping trips, etc. I live a few miles from Seekonk and people constantly pass back and forth between RI and MA for work, etc. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Big thanks to Providence College for jacking up the RI numbers and, because the state's population is so small, putting us over the critical 10 per 100k number so we're on the travel watch lists again...
Old 09-23-2020, 02:51 PM

Here's a nice 20 mile loop: https://www.strava.com/routes/2743937675675798628 The brief section of dirt road is easily manageable on 25c tires. You get shoreline, some woods, and the nice stretch down River Rd coming back in to Mystic.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
This is what is posted on MA web site under the list of exemptions. I didn't feel stopping for a bike ride conforms with the intent, but it's surely debatable. Since I'm headed to CT anyway, simplest case is stay in the car through RI. Heck, it's not like driving across TX
I read some article that included quotes from Charlie Baker about what was and wasn't considered acceptable (from the LAST time RI was on the 'bad' state list) and my many trips to MA (passing through, short trips, bike rides, etc) didn't seem to be a problem from what he said. I'm pretty fastidious myself with respect to safety, but honestly I don't pay too much attention to when RI passes on and off the list of problem states.

My regular routes are all in Seekonk/Rehoboth/Dighton, there are some really nice rides there, and just north of the CT border is Big River, with many nice gravel and mtb rides, and nice road rides if you're so inclined. If you're sticking to CT, I can't offer anything useful, unfortunately... I always thought New London was a pretty weird, but nice, little town, though.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:26 PM

Thanks! Hoping car appt goes according to schedule and I can squeeze this in end of Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbiker View Post
Here's a nice 20 mile loop: https://www.strava.com/routes/2743937675675798628 The brief section of dirt road is easily manageable on 25c tires. You get shoreline, some woods, and the nice stretch down River Rd coming back in to Mystic.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:43 PM

I stayed in Mystic once and I found a rail to trail from franklin all the way to Massachusetts and beyond

I think it was franklin but its outside of mystic
Also they had a nice shop in mystic