Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but is that level of coffee ground spray normal on doserless grinders (which is to say, from Rocky all the way up to some of the fancier ones)?

B/c if it is, then it's certainly a plus that the Niche deposits everything nicely into a 58 mm canister that can be immediately inverted into the portafilter
Well my grinder has a doser but not normal since I was trying to grind into a moka basket to teach a friend how to use moka. Should just grind into a cup or jar first. And I should clean it off before posting a picture!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2020, 02:30 PM

Overspray can also depend on the beans, some just have a lot more static than others, so even using the same grinder one type may tend to be messier than another.

On the Niche, and I haven't used it, but from what I've been reading people are saying it grinds as well as grinders costing significantly more, say 2-3x more. As noted, it's supposed to be quieter and it looks quite a bit smaller than some of those more expensive grinders which can be important when you're using it at home. I'm not sure I need it, but like all these cool gadgets I do want one, it's definitely quieter than my grinder but then again I think mine will have been on for 28 seconds total today...
Old 05-29-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
Well my grinder has a doser but not normal since I was trying to grind into a moka basket to teach a friend how to use moka. Should just grind into a cup or jar first. And I should clean it off before posting a picture!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
While nicer presentation doesnt hurt, i dont think the issue is limited to your case. I’ve seen grinders that has pretty ginormous catch tray/pan accessories (e.g. actual grinder takes up 1/3 of the space, and catchment zone makes up the rest).. Certainly makes me wince at the clean up required if one needs to rely a catch tray/pan that large
Old 05-29-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
While nicer presentation doesnt hurt, i dont think the issue is limited to your case. I’ve seen grinders that has pretty ginormous catch tray/pan accessories (e.g. actual grinder takes up 1/3 of the space, and catchment zone makes up the rest).. Certainly makes me wince at the clean up required if one needs to rely a catch tray/pan that large
Not as much as it makes me wince thinking about espresso and sprite.
I cleaned it up and was going to post another pic... but it's already spoken for and will soon be grinding beans for another local paceliner.

I am no coffee nerd, but I always saw the big catch pan as for commercial applications when they are making lots of espresso very fast and just end up spilling grounds in the haste. Then it's easy to remove the tray, rinse it in the sink and then put it back.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:55 AM

Getting back into a nice espresso setup...

Have a Rocket Mozzafiato R Crono on the way. Trying to decide on grinder, but leaning towards a Eureka Specialita, good price/performance, and quiet - same reason I went for the rotary pump version of the Rocket. But open to suggestions!
Any favorite accessories? I'm thinking of getting a coffee distributor, and need to get a knock box and steaming jug. Possibly a bottomless portafilter.

Cheers
Old 09-22-2020, 12:13 PM

No pics of it, but currently using either my V60 or Kalita with the trusty Bonavita kettle. Have one of those newish OXO burr grinders and also have a Bonavita drip machine as well.

What beans has everyone been brewing lately, always trying to buy interesting stuff from independent roasters. Recently had some single origins from Huck, Happy Mug, Onyx, Tandem, Pumphouse, and Panther and they’ve all been great. Any roasters I should be trying?
Old 09-22-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregroundmusic View Post
What beans has everyone been brewing lately, always trying to buy interesting stuff from independent roasters. Recently had some single origins from Huck, Happy Mug, Onyx, Tandem, Pumphouse, and Panther and they’ve all been great. Any roasters I should be trying?
I'm big fan of Gracenote . I have Alpha on regular rotation for Espresso and Misty Valley for drip, but their single origins are great too.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbd View Post
I'm big fan of Gracenote . I have Alpha on regular rotation for Espresso and Misty Valley for drip, but their single origins are great too.
Hmm I dig them too ; )

I just got myself a Torch donut dripper made by Kurasu in Kyoto. Its a simple and lovely design that yeilds a different result than say a V60 or Kalita wave. Im partial to the V60 or 6-8 cup chemex but have used alot of stuff in service in my time. Only have to get used to the folking of random filters for the Donut

Brewed a natural eth (Worka Sakaro) - first time with this edition of that coffee and with the Donut. Really wild, can be found best roasted by my pals over at Pavement here in the Bos area. Ive also been really enjoying Amethysts ACAB blend, and they are even more awesome folks as well.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbd View Post
May have to grab a bag just based on the design. Lovely stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post
Hmm I dig them too ; )

I just got myself a Torch donut dripper made by Kurasu in Kyoto. Its a simple and lovely design that yeilds a different result than say a V60 or Kalita wave. Im partial to the V60 or 6-8 cup chemex but have used alot of stuff in service in my time. Only have to get used to the folking of random filters for the Donut

Brewed a natural eth (Worka Sakaro) - first time with this edition of that coffee and with the Donut. Really wild, can be found best roasted by my pals over at Pavement here in the Bos area. Ive also been really enjoying Amethysts ACAB blend, and they are even more awesome folks as well.
The Torch looks very interesting. Based on the size of the outlet on the bottom, do you run a similar technique as you would with a V60 for brewing?
Old 09-25-2020, 03:04 PM

In case anyone is interested, my father in law is thinking of getting rid of this for $100... He hasnt used it for a while but he said it worked great last time he used it.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:36 PM

Tampa Cafe con Leche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef58 View Post
For all the Campy lovers, these are of pretty nice quality and look good. There are a few Tampa based Cuban style grinds here for a change from Lavazza. Currently using a Gaggia Classic, (pretty good little machine), and a Moccamaster for drip. The Alex machine looks very nice indeed...!! We need a "should I upgrade my machine" thread.
Though I no longer live in Tampa, every time I go back, I stop by "Arco Iris" on Habana for a cuban and their coffee, which is amazing. Damn, now I'm hungry!
Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 AM

Hi I am looking for recommendations for decaf coffee beans. I starting mixing 50/50 decaf and regular beans since I tend to drink more coffee working from home and was getting jittery.

My regular bean is Kimbo espresso. I like medium roast. Espresso only.
I blended with Illy decaf to try and like it. I can't find a Kimbo decaf bean.

Just wondering what people have to say. I googled it but wanted to check here before I get some more Illy. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Hi I am looking for recommendations for decaf coffee beans. I starting mixing 50/50 decaf and regular beans since I tend to drink more coffee working from home and was getting jittery.

Just wondering what people have to say. I googled it but wanted to check here before I get some more Illy. Thanks!

Temple Coffee Roasters Decaf Columbia.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Is there a Whole Foods nearby? If so, their $16/lb decaf is pretty good.

CoffeeBeanDirect (based in NJ) sells a half-caf that's pretty good.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:44 AM

I've been using a Bodum French Press for a number of years. Doctor just mentioned that paper filters can reduce cholesteral by 10-15 points, so I switched back to my old Bonavita immersion dripper.

Makes pretty good coffee...I'm still working out the exact amount of coffee I need for a cup...looks like two scoops, coarsely ground... I like the WF Allegro Mexican Organic bean.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 11.43.29 AM.png (82.6 KB, 73 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso