Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 02:03 PM

not mine and probably not a gravel bike. But it rides on gravel and its a beautiful bike. However that cassette is not made for Mt Tam. I heart leather washers.

Last edited by joosttx; 09-25-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:43 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD972049-F1ED-446B-9835-D939F152A03C.jpg (145.7 KB, 582 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 06:23 PM

New ti ride

Picked this frame up from Ebay in which a brick & mortar store was selling a new frame and Enve GRD fork. It was a terrific deal of list.

Switched my Dura-ace cranks and shifters and added a new Ultegra long cage rear derailleur. New set of wheels (BLSO built by OldPotatoe), Schwalbe G-One Speed 700 x 30, Easton short/shallow carbon handlebar, Shimano Pro stem. The cat headset cap was to memorialize my cat that passed in Jan (miss the little fella).

Maiden spin ride today - my mileage has been crappy all year due to knee issues. Leaves just starting to turn in places. This reservoir is part of my usual loop and there is this lone little island in the middle. Pardon the pics - overcast day and using my iPhone instead of a camera.

Bike was fun to ride - felt quick, responsive. Experimenting with my setup - I have it set up about 1.5cm taller and 3cm shorter in reach than my road setups. I think I have a ti problem - this is my 3rd ti gravel like bike - as I also have a Seven Evergeen (wider tire clearance, longer stays) and Moots Baxter (adventure backpacker). This Mosaic GT-1 is bit more road oriented with shorter stays and steeper head tube than most gravel bikes; can clear 700x38. I was thinking of using it to replace my Eriksen road bike with rim brakes (too early to call - wait till next year to decide).

Last edited by veloduffer; 09-27-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
Picked this frame up from Ebay in which a brick & mortar store was selling a new frame and Enve GRD fork. It was a terrific deal of list.

I love how both photos share so many of the same colors!! Love the Mosaic as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 PM
shimergo

Old 09-28-2020, 10:32 PM

Some eastern Oregon gravel.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 PM

For those of you that ride mostly road but some gravel, what tire size do you end up settling for? Or do you end up finding that you skew more towards gravel in the end anyway.

Sorry if this is a bad spot for these types of questions, but all these bikes are so pretty and y'all seem to have this figured out.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:24 PM

I have an "all-road" bike with one set of wheels. Enve 3.4AR with 700x38mm Gravel King SS+. Very quick on gravel. Not so much on pavement. Super fun everywhere!
Old 09-29-2020, 01:27 PM

I want a gravel bike. Ridiculous number of choices out there. Where to start? Metal? Tick.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
For those of you that ride mostly road but some gravel, what tire size do you end up settling for? Or do you end up finding that you skew more towards gravel in the end anyway.

Sorry if this is a bad spot for these types of questions, but all these bikes are so pretty and y'all seem to have this figured out.

At this stage I have tried lots of different tires. GK in any iteration are great tires with a reasonable price. Rene Herse are supple and fast in pretty much every iteration, but the EL have a tendency to weep and need airing up more often.

The knobby Herse tires which are what I am currently riding are pretty great on both surfaces, but noisy on the asphalt. They still roll with great efficiency though, on the looser stuff feel very planted and shed mud easily if you should find yourself riding on that type of terrain.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
I want a gravel bike. Ridiculous number of choices out there. Where to start? Metal? Tick.

I have had steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon gravel bikes. They all ride great, so it really comes down to what type of terrain you will ride and the geometry that suits your needs. Find something that fits and has enough clearance for what you want to do.

Wheels and tire choice are essential. A nice set of wheels and tires keep the bike feeling the way you would like and remember to choose suitable gearing for the fatter tires and looser terrain. Climbing on dirt/sand/gravel with a larger diameter tire tend to cost more energy and wider range gearing usually helps mitigate the pain.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:26 PM

Old 09-29-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
At this stage I have tried lots of different tires. GK in any iteration are great tires with a reasonable price. Rene Herse are supple and fast in pretty much every iteration, but the EL have a tendency to weep and need airing up more often.

The knobby Herse tires which are what I am currently riding are pretty great on both surfaces, but noisy on the asphalt. They still roll with great efficiency though, on the looser stuff feel very planted and shed mud easily if you should find yourself riding on that type of terrain.

I guess I'm wondering if I'd be happy getting my hands dirty with something that only goes up to 32's like a stock cannondale synapse or something. I need a roadie with more endurance oriented geometry and I'm semi tempted to get something that would do double duty and allow for much wider tires.

32's should be fine for the rare gravel stuff, but I honestly think discs would be the bigger blessing here. I hope you don't mind if I pm'ed you with some questions? I'd rather not take up more of the thread.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I guess I'm wondering if I'd be happy getting my hands dirty with something that only goes up to 32's like a stock cannondale synapse or something. I need a roadie with more endurance oriented geometry and I'm semi tempted to get something that would do double duty and allow for much wider tires.

32's should be fine for the rare gravel stuff, but I honestly think discs would be the bigger blessing here. I hope you don't mind if I pm'ed you with some questions? I'd rather not take up more of the thread.

No worries! PM away!

Old 09-30-2020, 07:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04FB4102-693E-4D81-8968-02C341F01D0A.jpg (152.7 KB, 301 views)