Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

I just read the story again. By my estimation the cyclist is admitting that he was trying to cut the car off at the next intersection by intentionally running the stop sign, at least that is the way I interpret his commentary. Wouldn't it be illegal for the cyclist to ride in the median?

The cyclist seems rational on the video but was incredibly stupid in his actions and even more stupid for putting it in writing. It is going to be interesting at trial to say the least. Please post to this thread again when there is a result. If I were on the jury or the judge, I would assign some, not sure what percentage because I don't have any experience with these cases, of the blame to the cyclist.

I just cannot imagine a cyclist trying to cut off a motorist that had already cut him off twice. I thought California was extremely pedestrian and cyclist biased in their rules and laws, especially in the area that this incident occurred.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM
#bottlestorage

Yep. There is a whole lot of stupid involved with this incident.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Watching the video, I am even more glad that I have a road ID that displays most of the basic information that would be needed if I were not conscious.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 AM

My war story...why you DON'T confront in these situations

Quitw a few years ago, a driver tried to run me off the road on West Circular Street in Saratoga, NY. I was able to catch up to him a short distance later as he was just going into his apartment. We exchanged a few pleasantries but when he started reaching for something just inside the door, I ended the conversation and went right to the police station in town. They ran his plate number and their interest escalated considerably. They immediately drove to his apartment (two cops) and I followed on my bike. They asked me to wait a short distance away and i could see the discussion was pretty animated. They then called me over and the driver began apologizing profusely. I learned later from a good source that he was "well known" to the police and had there been a witness he was heading for a jail visit.

The moral here is that many of these drivers have a history and the police WILL act in those situations. I freely admit I wanted to punch his lights out but I received greater satisfaction after turning him in. You will too .
Old 08-28-2011, 01:23 PM

While the cyclist probably broke some traffic laws in his pursuit of the driver that may warrant a ticket, the driver assaulted the cyclist with his car. That's an offense considerably more grave then breaking a traffic law, or several traffic laws and no behavior on the victim's part no matter how stupid gives the driver a pass for assault with a deadly weapon.

The driver will will find lots of willing takers for his invitations to kick everyone's ass in jail.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:54 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueda Tropical
While the cyclist probably broke some traffic laws in his pursuit of the driver that may warrant a ticket, the driver assaulted the cyclist with his car. That's an offense considerably more grave then breaking a traffic law, or several traffic laws and no behavior on the victim's part no matter how stupid gives the driver a pass for assault with a deadly weapon.

The driver will will find lots of willing takers for his invitations to kick everyone's ass in jail.
Yep. I wonder how that cyclist feels about being "right" this morning? A lot of good it did him to push the issue with an assuole driver. Sure, the driver was wrong but the cyclist was a flipping moron and almost nominated himself for a Darwin award. Definition of lose/lose result.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow
Yep. I wonder how that cyclist feels about being "right" this morning? A lot of good it did him to push the issue with an assuole driver. Sure, the driver was wrong but the cyclist was a flipping moron and almost nominated himself for a Darwin award. Definition of lose/lose result.
It looks like both parties will be wishing they acted more rationally in the morning.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueda Tropical
It looks like both parties will be wishing they acted more rationally in the morning.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg winner.JPG (56.3 KB, 75 views)