Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2005, 01:43 PM

Race Across America 2005

Well, here's the scoop.

On June 16th, I fly to San Diego to crew for 2005 solo Race Across America (RAAM-rookie) competitor, Thomas Rodgers, from Arlington, TX. There are 8 of us on Tom's crew and a NBC cameraman will also be with us for the 3,047 mile race from San Diego to the Atlantic City Boardwalk in NJ. The race starts June 19th in San Diego.

I would like to invite you to visit the RAAM website at http://raceacrossamerica.org/ If you live near or close to where we will be coming through http://raceacrossamerica.org/files/route/raceroute.htm , it would be great to have you cheering on these competitors. It will be an exciting year for it is a record number of starters for solo and team fields. How wonderful to have fellow cyclists and forum friends along the way to cheer the competitors on.
The RAAM-Time Tour is also being offered to invite you along with your bike club to hold a RAAM-Time Tour along the RAAM route when the race is in progress. For more information, please visit http://raceacrossamerica.org/Default.aspx?tabid=145

Please keep safe thoughts in mind for all involved. This is a long race. Hope to see you out there!

RA
Old 05-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Bike Fitter

Good Luck to your Guy RA , does he have a web site to track his progress and his he a contender ?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

We'll be rooting for your team cuz!

If you can, it would be great to see some picts from the trip when you're back and rested up.

All the best!

Cuz William
Old 05-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

RA,

Just last weekend I was riding in the area a few miles west of St Louis where you folks will riding / driving. I remember a couple years ago, just by coincidence, I was out riding in the same area, heading west, and some of the racers and the support vehicles passed in the other direction. If you folks come through on a weekend maybe I'll drive out that way and ride west from the Alton area.

Good Luck
Louis
Old 05-30-2005, 02:31 PM

http://raceacrossamerica.org/files/r...s_tom_2005.htm is a link to Tom's RAAM Biography. Is Tom a contender?
OHHH YEAHHHHH BABY, YEAH! Tom's going to make an impression. We're on a mission.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Ape and Essence

AWESOME BABY Can't wait to hear some news and I for one think he's rookie of the year material. I must have missed the info in his bio...what RAAM qualifer did he finish?

Wow. That's all. Wow.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Bike Fitter

RA , this dude is intense , I wish him well , looks like he's got the right stuff for this event .
Old 05-30-2005, 05:56 PM
imho this is mp bro.

he should have kept smoking. it's a much less dangerous habit that the race across america.

jerk :argue:

Last edited by jerk; 05-30-2005 at 06:01 PM. Reason: because the jerk is not always right about typing.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:13 PM

The RAAM is a farce. It is just a contest of sleep deprivation.

Oh, the TdF used be the same way......

Seriously, these riders are hardcore. I did like it though when Jonathan "Jacques" Boyer came, saw and kicked a$$ in it about 20 years ago.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Ape and Essence

Jonathan brought a new level fer sher. He didn't exactly kick ***. Boyer won, just barely. The back story is real interesting.

Pete Pensyres set the avg. speed record. Pete never would have trained the way he did if it were not for Boyer. Now speed work and high VO2 are required elements in all serious RAAM riders training diet.

Danny Chew used to ride in pro races. He is certainly that caliber. Wolfgang Fasching....yup he can race with pros too. Look at the fields, by an large the Euros. are sending pro. athletes to race in RAAM.

Having one of our own supporting RAAM is just a blessing. So? Will you put a bannana on the crew van
Old 05-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Post Mod-ern

Ra . . .

This is VERY diappointing. When I saw the thread title I thought you were COMPETING!

VERY disappointed. Well, maybe next year . . .

BBDave
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave
This is VERY diappointing. When I saw the thread title I thought you were COMPETING!

VERY disappointed. Well, maybe next year . . .

BBDave
Baby steps BBman, baby steps.

William
Old 05-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Post Mod-ern

Yeah . . .

. . . I guess I should shut up. I might be giving her ideas!

BBDave
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-30-2005, 10:46 PM

Well said Cuz. This is the next step involved BBDave. Crewing is learning and learning is doing. Like Cuz William, when I saw RAAM on ABC Sports over 18 years ago, I said, "I'm going to do that someday. I will do it." And it's taken those 18 years to get to this point; I've still got a lot to learn.

I quit smoking 21 years ago and like Tom, I started doing tri's, then Ironman's, marathons, and ultra's. The plan for me now is to get more experience and more secure at the distances, especially the 1200k. I started 2005 with a different agenda, but family priorities, job responsibilities, and health made me adjust the year's goals and I still had a chance at making it a very positive experience. This would be the year for "repairing and regrouping". I've wanted to crew for a long time, but never did I think it would turn out to be now; it wasn't in the plans for at least another few years. With knee surgeries in the past (the Synvisc injections were completed this past week , time will tell now), saddle bruising issues (that is scheduled to be dealt with in July at Shands Hospital), financially (RAAM is expensive), and my age (I'm not old, but I am 50) a part of the real world, I know doing solo RAAM is unrealistic. However, I do feel that a four person, all women, over age 50 team is very likely, very possible, and definitely in the goal range. Hey, we have to adjust our goals occasionally and I can feel it, visualize it, and I will touch it. The goal for this year though is to be part of a crew and learn. Our crew's job is to work together and get Tom to his goal at the finish line on the Atlantic City Boardwalk.

The Serotta Forum Banana sticker is going along and will be taped on the vehicles (we have two, an RV and chase van). I also plan on taking my Serotta T-shirt and Serotta Banana Forum jersey from last year's Open House. I'm excited about hopefully meeting a few people I've read about or talked with via e-mail over the past years. Legends like Danny Chew, he's from my hometown of Pittsburgh. Rob Kish and his wife, Brenda, from Orange Co., FL (this is his 20th RAAM and there should be a great race between him and Bob Breedlove this year, both are in their 50's), John Lee Ellis from Colorado, George Thomas, and on and on.

The only "down fall" to all of this is no paycheck (self-employed) for two weeks. I'm working my tush off now doing jobs to cover my income for the time frame I'm away from my business. My son coincidentally is scheduled for Leader in Training camp at the YMCA camp those two weeks and I have a friend staying with my four legged kids in my home. Everybody is cared for and the experience is waiting. When I was selected to crew for Tom, everything seemed to fall into place. I am sooooooo excited.

I hope to get a digital camera to take along. Keep you informed? You bet, Serotta is on RAAM this year!

Last edited by RABikes2; 05-31-2005 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:37 PM

well i live in SD---what are you all doing the day(s) before the start.. Maybe we can do a carbo-load dinner?